To piggyback Mrs hornett22’s thread. What was some of your elders sayings?

Hunter922

" that wind is whooopin' it".... :huh:

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Has anyone ever seen or know someone whose seen a wooden nickle?
Or a round tuit. H22 was saying this weekend that he'd get around tuit sometime today. I told him he had a round tuit it on the counter in the house. :bounce: My Diddy gave me a wooden nickle. Still got it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Or a round tuit. H22 was saying this weekend that he'd get around tuit sometime today. I told him he had a round tuit it on the counter in the house. :bounce: My Diddy gave me a wooden nickle. Still got it.
I've been known to use a 2 in. hole saw and cut a lot of plugs out of 1/4 in. plywood... write "IT" on one side and "2" on the other. Should see the look on folks faces when I toss them one when they say that. :rofl:

Jim Baker

Staff member
My Granny would always say, "that boy is a bird" when she didn't trust a youngun's motives. It was sorta her version of "bless his heart".

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've been known to use a 2 in. hole saw and cut a lot of plugs out of 1/4 in. plywood... write "IT" on one side and "2" on the other. Should see the look on folks faces when I toss them one when they say that. :rofl:

They give them away at the Sunbelt Expo. :)

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
"He/she wouldn't work a job counting money on halves."

"Scattered from heck to breakfast"

My grandpa also used to call a mesh hat a "sifter cap;" if any of y'all have heard that one before, I and my dad would be interested to know.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
"He/she wouldn't work a job counting money on halves."

"Scattered from heck to breakfast"

My grandpa also used to call a mesh hat a "sifter cap;" if any of y'all have heard that one before, I and my dad would be interested to know.
Never heard the sifter cap one, that's a goodun.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are too many archaic hillbilly words and sayings that I heard growing up to get into, but one non-archaic one my dad used to tell me when I told him I wanted something or wanted to do something:
Yeah, people in *Hades* wantin' ice water, too! :bounce:

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
My Granny born 1899. "If you want to catch a bird, you have to sprinkle a little salt on his tail". We believed it as small kids, then later we realized that getting close enough to do that was the subtle joke she was conveying to us. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I was told rabbit instead of bird

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
There are too many archaic hillbilly words and sayings that I heard growing up to get into, but one non-archaic one my dad used to tell me when I told him I wanted something or wanted to do something:
Yeah, people in *Hades* wantin' ice water, too! :bounce:
My Diddy would say that. He also said you can do anything if ya got the right tool.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My Diddy would say that. He also said you can do anything if ya got the right tool.
Daddy would say, "Never try to force anything. Get a bigger hammer." :bounce:

Oldstick

My Granny born 1899. "If you want to catch a bird, you have to sprinkle a little salt on his tail". We believed it as small kids, then later we realized that getting close enough to do that was the subtle joke she was conveying to us. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Speaking of Granny, she was the ultimate practical joker along with my mom and her brother. I guess it must have gotten passed down to me as well.

So one of Granny's favorite jokes was at the dinner table during dessert, she would say, "Look out that window, what is that??" Then when us kids looked she would pretend she was sneaking our portion of the pie.

Then one day we were eating and Granny exclaimed, "Look some horses outside!!" None of us would turn our heads except this time it was real. Some folks were on horseback on the adjacent property visible out the window. :ROFLMAO:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My grandpa (vintage 1902) used to tell me that, too, when I was about 3 or 4. And would give me a salt shaker and sit on the porch and laugh his butt off while I chased robins around the yard. :bounce:

MudDucker

Staff member
My old grandaddy once decided to escape my grandmother’s rath. His hat hung in a nail by the door. He picked it up, invited me to go with him. We went to his old shack on the river. There was a nail there to and as he hung up his hat, he said boy, always have another place to hang your hat. An hour later, he said she should have cooled off and he grabbed his hat. We headed back and he hung his hat and winked.

GeorgiaBob

My Mamaw (Dad's mom, born 1899) had a bunch. One that stuck with me was her often commenting about my smile whenever I saw her, "Grinning like a mule eating briars."

Core Lokt

"Going to see a man about a one eyed dog"

When I was a kid my dad would tell my mom that. I later learned that he was actually going night hunting LOL.