Toddlers in the Woods

sportsman94

When I went hunting Friday afternoon my 3 year old said, “Daddy, I want to go deer hunting!” Well, after our first experience I knew her attention span would only last about 10-15 minutes at the most and I was going to be gone a lot longer than that. I told her that we’d go Saturday afternoon. I got home from hunting Saturday morning and my wife told me our daughter had almost started crying when she found out I was in the woods cause she wanted to go. Mama told her that we were going to go Saturday afternoon still and all was ok.

About 5:15 we were leaving our house to go hunt and Jojo (our daughter) said, “We have to kill a buck tonight.” I giggled and said baby, were probably only gonna see does. Is it ok if we shoot one of those? She said no, we’ll just shoot a buck. Well, we get to the field and put our chairs down and we all sit. About 3 mins later a deer steps out of the bottom corner of the field. I could tell right away it was a little buck and asked her if she could see It. She couldn’t. She ended up standing up from her chair and walking to mine so she could see it. Her and my wife got to arguing cause at that point my daughter wanted ti sit back down in her chair and my wife wanted her to be still so as to not spook the deer. About the time her butt hit the chair I pulled the trigger. We saw a mule kick, and My wife said it sounded like it hit.

We said a prayer giving thanks for the opportunity and headed down to check for blood. We got down to the spot and I found nothing but some muddy tracks where he jumped. Great, I thought. A long track or missed deer is what we have to look forward to. Jojo walks this property a couple times a week with her grandma and headed down to the lower trail just a few yards from where the buck was shot. She started talking and I said hold on baby, we’re looking for sign. After not seeing anything, I peaked down the trail and wouldn’t you know it Jojo was looking at a white belly the whole time. He ran about 30 yards from the shot.

After all that, Jojo got her buck.

B165C68C-B49C-491D-8142-DDD5A0308916.jpeg767B0D1B-B414-4018-A8F4-C82F34E7111C.jpeg

sportsman94

Thanks for sharing that with us. You are fortunate to have a family that wants to be in the woods with you. Congratulations.
My wife used to go to the woods with me when we were dating. That’s stopped since we got married and had a kid. It was a welcomed surprise that she came with me. I try to make it as much fun as possible for Joanna short of giving her electronics to pass the time

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Love it. I have a granddaughter about that age, wish I could take her out, but she's in Texas. :(

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I try to make it as much fun as possible for Joanna short of giving her electronics to pass the time

I would not hesitate to allow her to take a game with her. I can clearly remember how much I loved hunting and fishing with my father and grandfather when I was little. I also remember how miserable it was when I became completely bored with what was going on. Something the help her over the rough spots might pay dividends in the long run.

Whatever else you do, you are certainly headed in the right direction here. Congratulations again.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Wow! My heart is melting with joy! This is why we do what we do! That little lady, even at that young age, will more than likely remember this day the rest of her life! When the memory crosses her mind, she’ll smile and think how much she loves her daddy!

Btw-Woohoo! Nice buck kid!

back_woods

Nothing like them little girls in the woods. Mine has been hunting with me non stop for the past 4 years. Enjoy every minute of it as they grow up so fast its unreal

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Brother that’s awesome ! When I texted you and said you better not disappoint that little angel I knew you wouldn’t ! Congrats ! Another year or 2 and she’ll say daddy I want to shoot

Lilly001

I took my son hunting with me starting when he was 5 or 6.
I would usually set up on the ground overlooking a clear cut or such. He would play with his trucks and look occasionally. We seldom saw anything and never killed anything.
I always cherished the time. But what is most rewarding is he has told me many times how much he cherishes those memories. He is 36 now.
Enjoy your little one. They are a gift.

specialk

Great story!