Top doctrines in Christianity you consider false.

WaltL1

When did the idea of papal infallibility come along? Or confessing your sins to a priest? Or taking indulgences?
Man I can still remember sweating bullets on the walk to the "hot seat" as we called it :bounce:

atlashunter

Man I can still remember sweating bullets on the walk to the "hot seat" as we called it :bounce:

I've been in a catholic service exactly two times. The first was in high school for a funeral. People really had the routine down. I didn't know what to think. Second time was with a catholic girlfriend for Easter. They went around flicking water on everyone. Seemed very foreign to me. But I also figured if they went to the Pentecostal churches I grew up in that would seem just as foreign to them. At least one group has gone way out in left field. Not what one should expect if they are in communication with the same deity.

hobbs27

When did the idea of papal infallibility come along? Or confessing your sins to a priest? Or taking indulgences?

That's a few more... The RCC spread their form of Christianity quickly, they even came down hard on other Christian churches to get inline with them.
Thank God we have the scriptures though. We can see where man has made a mess of things.

hobbs27

A friend of mine grew up with Catholic missionaries as parents.

He said confession was not something any young man should have to go through.

He also told me of somewhere he lived for a little while had two statues. One of Jesus and one of Mary. The statue of Mary had places worn on it from all the people laying their hands on her and praying... But the one of Jesus was in perfect condition. ..Not that I would condone worshipping either statue, but it shows an age old connection to worshipping as pagans did.

WaltL1

I've been in a catholic service exactly two times. The first was in high school for a funeral. People really had the routine down. I didn't know what to think. Second time was with a catholic girlfriend for Easter. They went around flicking water on everyone. Seemed very foreign to me. But I also figured if they went to the Pentecostal churches I grew up in that would seem just as foreign to them. At least one group has gone way out in left field. Not what one should expect if they are in communication with the same deity.
They went around flicking water on everyone
Hey now!
That was Holy water my friend, blessed by God and all that :D

WaltL1

A friend of mine grew up with Catholic missionaries as parents.

He also told me of somewhere he lived for a little while had two statues. One of Jesus and one of Mary. The statue of Mary had places worn on it from all the people laying their hands on her and praying... But the one of Jesus was in perfect condition. ..Not that I would condone worshipping either statue, but it shows an age old connection to worshipping as pagans did.
Particularly when you had to confess not only sinful actions but impure thoughts as well.
As a young healthy male I never could figure out how to stifle those impure thoughts... hence the sweating of bullets on the walk to the hot seat :rofl:
And you DID NOT lie to the priest!

WaltL1

Actually, for the sake of accuracy, it wasn't necessarily blessed by God. The priest(s) were "qualified" to bless it.
There were also little bowls of Holy water as you stepped into the church and you would dip your fingers in and then make the sign of the Cross and then take your seat in the pews.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Air must be getting thin up there. :crazy:

How Old Is Your Church?

If you are Roman Catholic, you know that your religion was founded in the year 33 by Jesus Christ the Son of God, and it is still the same Church.

If anyone can show my wrong, please do.
BUT you can't. ;)

I knew better than to bite in here. facepalm:

Well, Jesus founding it in 33 AD certainly explains the New Testament and the words of Jesus being full of talk about the Pope being God manifested on Earth and bishops and cardinals and nuns and the commandments about confessing your sins to the priest instead of God and the commandments to wear big tall hats and robes and not to eat meat on Fridays and all that. I had always wondered why the Bible was so chock-full of these types of things that were never taught in church when I was growing up.

Big7

The Oracle
Well, Jesus founding it in 33 AD certainly explains the New Testament and the words of Jesus being full of talk about the Pope being God manifested on Earth and bishops and cardinals and nuns and the commandments about confessing your sins to the priest instead of God and the commandments to wear big tall hats and robes and not to eat meat on Fridays and all that. I had always wondered why the Bible was so chock-full of these types of things that were never taught in church when I was growing up.

The Bible is not for you to discern.

Jump out of that man made KJV for a second.

The 7 books that the reformation decided were
not convenient to their agenda has all the answers
you need.

The Catholic Church along with ECF's, etc........

WROTE the Bible.

Most all of the known original text are in The Vatican
Archives..

If (one) is OSAS, Sola Scriptura, or "elect"
or blah, blah, and blah (one) simply ignores historical fact, ECF teaching.

If (one) can PROVE me wrong, please do.

The Catholic Church was where all the rest of the schisms
came from.

Until The Great Schism, it was the only "Christian"
church.

The "reformation" is what? 500 years old give or take?
MAN MADE.

atlashunter

Actually, for the sake of accuracy, it wasn't necessarily blessed by God. The priest(s) were "qualified" to bless it.
There were also little bowls of Holy water as you stepped into the church and you would dip your fingers in and then make the sign of the Cross and then take your seat in the pews.

Oh yeah I remember them doing that now that you mention it. I just kept my trap shut and observed. Was definitely a different experience from the churches I grew up in.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

you need.

WROTE the Bible.

Archives..

came from.

church.

MAN MADE.

You are making the incorrect assumption that I think any of the various versions of the Bible are the literal word of God instead of books written by people to control other people. So, who did Jesus appoint to be the Pope?

atlashunter

So NC is not finding those things in his bible because he is reading the wrong bible? Which bible should he be reading? You criticize the KJV for being man made and then in the next breath say the Catholic Church wrote the Bible. Doesn't that make it man made as well?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So NC is not finding those things in his bible because he is reading the wrong bible? Which bible should he be reading? You criticize the KJV for being man made and then in the next breath say the Catholic Church wrote the Bible. Doesn't that make it man made as well?

That's just crazy talk. :)

ky55

Seems like I read somewhere that according to the doctrine of Judaism the followers of Jesus continued to practice the teachings of the Torah long after his death.
In the meantime, Paul was inventing the Christian Church among the Gentiles and anybody else he could convince.

So Jesus was a Jew, lived and taught the Torah, and his disciples and followers continued to practice Judaism after he died.

Last edited:

atlashunter

Seems like I read somewhere that according to the doctrine of Judaism the followers of Jesus continued to practice the teachings of the Torah long after his death.
In the meantime, Paul was inventing the Christian Church among the Gentiles and anybody else he could convince.

So Jesus was a Jew, lived and taught the Torah, and his disciples and followers continued to practice Judaism after he died.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=909316

^Here.

Artfuldodger

you need.

WROTE the Bible.

Archives..

came from.

church.

MAN MADE.

Were all of those books in the Bible when one of those councils picked what books to keep? I'm trying to see what ideals, doctrines, etc. that were a part of Catholicism that the Protestants kept after the Reformation.
If the Bible had more books originally then a guess during the Reformation, the Protestants elected to drop some of those books.

You said "The Catholic Church along with ECF's, etc........
WROTE the Bible."
Considering it is the word of God, what does that mean the Catholic Church wrote the Bible? You mean with divine intervention?

ky55

Yep,
there’s one after that one “Did Paul Invent Christianity” that has a lot more detailed information.
Everything points to the continued solidarity of the Jews and keeping the Torah after Jesus’ death.
Paul took over about 3 years later, even though he had never met Jesus.
And he preached a doctrine contrary to the disciples who had spent 3 years following Jesus.

atlashunter

I wonder if the whole eat my flesh and drink my blood thing also has some roots in paganism? I've heard more than one rabbi point this out and say the idea would be anathema for Jews.

Big7

The Oracle
Were all of those books in the Bible when one of those councils picked what books to keep? I'm trying to see what ideals, doctrines, etc. that were a part of Catholicism that the Protestants kept after the Reformation.
If the Bible had more books originally then a guess during the Reformation, the Protestants elected to drop some of those books.

You said "The Catholic Church along with ECF's, etc........
WROTE the Bible."
Considering it is the word of God, what does that mean the Catholic Church wrote the Bible? You mean with divine intervention?

Yes.