Tractor purchase questions: hp, drive and brand

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Last time I heard comments like that were from a farmer using allis finger cotton strippers. Considering Deere is the only company with a cotton picker, the only high speed planter that actually works, and GPS that actually works,.

Curious about the GPS. Do you use it to actually get to the field or keep track of where you've plowed? I've never needed one, so I don't know. Figured I'd ask a real farmer.

SemperFiDawg

this is the reason I wouldn't buy anything that runs DEF or a particulate filter. Thanks to the EPA, you now have more headaches than you can handle.

This is the major reason I bought a Mahindra with a Tier 4 engine. No need for that junk on it.

And THIS is exactly the reason I will buy one.

doomtrpr_z71

Curious about the GPS. Do you use it to actually get to the field or keep track of where you've plowed? I've never needed one, so I don't know. Figured I'd ask a real farmer.
Keep track of planting when planting flat and keep it straight, lay off beds if I'm planting on beds, and it's nice to not have to count rows while spraying. Plus it makes lining up a lot quicker.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Keep track of planting when planting flat and keep it straight, lay off beds if I'm planting on beds, and it's nice to not have to count rows while spraying. Plus it makes lining up a lot quicker.

But, I always told dad, that you get more seeds in a crooked row!! :)

If you're spraying 1000 acres and you don't have excessive overlap ..... it saves you money, too!

doomtrpr_z71

A Mahindra has just as much emmisions equipment as any other brand, it just uses no def fluid. It has to run high egts at all times to keep it's oxidative catalyst clean whereas def models only run high egts during a Regen cycle. The constant recirculation of exhaust gases will eventually still clog the catalyst and it will have to be cleaned. Mahindra makes a big deal about this but it was done on Deere first and they went to def systems for better reliability.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Back in the day, when corn or soybeans had to be cultivated, wow, crooked rows, sure made you pay attention!

Jim Boyd

I don’t want a Mahindra but I think the folks that do may want to ask a few questions about how the emission standards are being met - and what the long term effects of that technology may be on the tractor systems, most notably the combustion chamber.

I believe Mahindra operates with a higher percentage of EGR to help lower the temperatures in the combustion chamber (and thereby reduce NOX) - which is what the function of the EGR is in the first place. The problem (if there is one) is that the dirty exhaust that is routed back into the combustion chamber can wreak havoc on piston, rings and liners.

Navistar did this with the MaxxForce 13 liter and it was arguably the worst class 8 engine ever produced. They are in the process of settling a $135m dollar lawsuit, as we speak.

They then re-engineered the engine, called a N13 and equipped it with an SCR system (made by Cummins) in an attempt to get someone to buy the engine and it, too, was a colossal failure.

The N13 was soon abandoned and their new engine is called an A26. From a market share perspective, it has greatly struggled with sales.

They gambled hugely and got severely spanked for their efforts.

Even Cummins, the largest diesel engine producer in the world, has major issues with EGR - most notably engine combustion chamber durability.

Now the 59 hp Deere is not without concerns. While that model does not use SCR (think DEF fluid) it does run a DOC (creates heat) and a DPF (to filter soot and particulate matter) and I fully expect a bill will come due sooner or later.

My hope is that the repairs will not require the head or oil pan to be removed from the engine.

All of that to say this - an informed consumer is a more well equipped consumer.

Yes you can avoid this with an older, used piece of equipment. I looked at that and so far, have cold feet.

I have no idea why anyone got their feelings hurt about the discussion - it is simply about a piece of equipment.

We need sweet November to roll around so we can concentrate on glassy eyed bucks that do things they ain’t supposed to do.....

SemperFiDawg

A Mahindra has just as much emmisions equipment as any other brand, it just uses no def fluid. It has to run high egts at all times to keep it's oxidative catalyst clean whereas def models only run high egts during a Regen cycle. The constant recirculation of exhaust gases will eventually still clog the catalyst and it will have to be cleaned. Mahindra makes a big deal about this but it was done on Deere first and they went to def systems for better reliability.

From everything I’ve read the emission system on the JD is the worst of all as far as problems are concerned. In fact it is pointed to as the worst design on the market. The general consensus is that the Mahindra emission system is the most reliable. I personally don’t have a dog in the fight. If I buy new it will be Mahindra. I would prefer finding a low hour pre emissions Kubota or Mahindra. I own a JD now. Got it at a good price with 96 hours on it. It’s not that it’s a bad tractor. It isn’t, but the color paint doesn’t justify the difference in sticker price, not to
mention parts and service. I have a JD gator too. Problems, and I mean design and structural problems since new, but I better not go there. Suffice it to say, never again.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I don’t want a Mahindra but I think the folks that do may want to ask a few questions about how the emission standards are being met - and what the long term effects of that technology may be on the tractor systems, most notably the combustion chamber.

I believe Mahindra operates with a higher percentage of EGR to help lower the temperatures in the combustion chamber (and thereby reduce NOX) - which is what the function of the EGR is in the first place. The problem (if there is one) is that the dirty exhaust that is routed back into the combustion chamber can wreak havoc on piston, rings and liners.

Navistar did this with the MaxxForce 13 liter and it was arguably the worst class 8 engine ever produced. They are in the process of settling a $135m dollar lawsuit, as we speak.

They then re-engineered the engine, called a N13 and equipped it with an SCR system (made by Cummins) in an attempt to get someone to buy the engine and it, too, was a colossal failure.

The N13 was soon abandoned and their new engine is called an A26. From a market share perspective, it has greatly struggled with sales.

They gambled hugely and got severely spanked for their efforts.

Even Cummins, the largest diesel engine producer in the world, has major issues with EGR - most notably engine combustion chamber durability.

Now the 59 hp Deere is not without concerns. While that model does not use SCR (think DEF fluid) it does run a DOC (creates heat) and a DPF (to filter soot and particulate matter) and I fully expect a bill will come due sooner or later.

My hope is that the repairs will not require the head or oil pan to be removed from the engine.

All of that to say this - an informed consumer is a more well equipped consumer.

Yes you can avoid this with an older, used piece of equipment. I looked at that and so far, have cold feet.

I have no idea why anyone got their feelings hurt about the discussion - it is simply about a piece of equipment.

We need sweet November to roll around so we can concentrate on glassy eyed bucks that do things they ain’t supposed to do.....
Now u tell me. Lols ?
After the red tractor is at the house. ??

doomtrpr_z71

From everything I’ve read the emission system on the JD is the worst of all as far as problems are concerned. In fact it is pointed to as the worst design on the market. The general consensus is that the Mahindra emission system is the most reliable. I personally don’t have a dog in the fight. If I buy new it will be Mahindra. I would prefer finding a low hour pre emissions Kubota or Mahindra. I own a JD now. Got it at a good price with 96 hours on it. It’s not that it’s a bad tractor. It isn’t, but the color paint doesn’t justify the difference in sticker price, not to
mention parts and service. I have a JD gator too. Problems, and I mean design and structural problems since new, but I better not go there. Suffice it to say, never again.
The emissions equipment on a deere, kubota, CNH, etc.. is the same system, Mahindra runs a continuous EGR and DOC with no DPF or SCR meaning no def, that catalyst will clog with time, plus the high EGT from continuous EGR isn't going to help the engines longevity. The gator they can keep, though rolling a RSI gator over was fun at the Sunbelt Expo.

aewhite

If you are not on a time constraint to buy, you can ask if you dealer gets any rental returns in the hp range you are looking at. I got a peanut rental return with just over 200 hours and the price was right enough that I was able to get more hp than originally looking at and got a 5075e. I have had no problems with the tractor. Both JD and Kubota dealers around this area do rental tractors for certain seasonal crops.