Tractor purchase questions: hp, drive and brand

mrfudd

I would look for a pre Tier 4 low hour Kubota or NH. I have a friend that does QC work at the local JD plant- I would not consider buying a sub 100 hp JD after hearing about the problems he sees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Y'all kill me thinking Deere is just a name and a color scheme
After nearly 40 years of using all kinds of equipment from daylight til dark and depending on it for a living, myself and about everybody else I know have arrived at that same conclusion. Overpriced, underbuilt namebrand for yuppies. They have nice name recognition, tshirts, and hats. What they don't have is dependable equipment that will stand up to commercial use day after day and year after year. Maybe a long time ago, but not now. I live amongst hundreds of people who farm for a living, too. I wonder why none of them buy Deere any more? NH is what I see going up and down the road and through the hayfields and silage fields here. JD would be my last choice for anything I needed to depend on.

I have put tens of thousands of hours on equipment of all kinds. How about you?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would look for a pre Tier 4 low hour Kubota or NH. I have a friend that does QC work at the local JD plant- I would not consider buying a sub 100 hp JD after hearing about the problems he sees.

and my son-in-law works at Kubota. Same as.

doomtrpr_z71

After nearly 40 years of using all kinds of equipment from daylight til dark and depending on it for a living, myself and about everybody else I know have arrived at that same conclusion. Overpriced, underbuilt namebrand for yuppies. They have nice name recognition, tshirts, and hats. What they don't have is dependable equipment that will stand up to commercial use day after day and year after year. Maybe a long time ago, but not now. I live amongst hundreds of people who farm for a living, too. I wonder why none of them buy Deere any more? NH is what I see going up and down the road and through the hayfields and silage fields here. JD would be my last choice for anything I needed to depend on.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I guess that's why the nearest new Holland dealer is 6hrs away, they never need service. Last time I heard comments like that were from a farmer using allis finger cotton strippers. Since they're a CNH product and in 2 years the only CNH product I've seen still working after its first week is the current maxxum 150 I've more or less stolen, I'd pass. Considering Deere is the only company with a cotton picker, the only high speed planter that actually works, and GPS that actually works, I guess that's all yuppie stuff. Considering my 6300 has 6000+ hrs, the 9965 has 5000+ hrs, the 6430 and 7420 have 1000 or so, the 6700 has 3000+ hrs, and I have no clue what the 9900 or 2022 have on then I would say I'm fairly experienced with equipment. New Holland will be fine for hay and silage, but so would Kubota, that's not particularly taxing on equipment, pulling a strip till rig with planters in silt is a bit different animal.

catchdogs

The new jd break too easy. Hoses are in worse place possible with little protection. Cheap things are what turn me off, gas gauge blowed out hauling tractor. Hydraulic hose off pump underside tractor no protection gets old bushhogging and realizing hose has popped off again. Seems like the newer jd are just cheaply made nothing like the old 90 versions. Couldn’t kill those things. I have replaced 2 hoses gas gauge front arms on loader due to a stick hitting them and the hydraulic fittings being welded on required new arms. All less than a year. Never had problems like this out the mf135. Not knocking jd but if your using it like it sounds I would look for an older well taken care of jd rather than a new one. Pay price they want should be bullet proof .

treemanjohn

Banned
Tractor weight is always overlooked. Having a ton of horses with no weight to help is hook up is a major problem. Buyers look at power first and forget the rest. Those old steel low horsepower and gas burners would work like a mule team

tree cutter 08

Find yourself a low hour kubota m7040 4x4 with a loader. You can take the loaded off but after using it you will quit using your little tractor. I've got a m7060 and it's been a good tractor but has the dpf. No problems so far. Kubota builds a good tractor. Don't forget to put as much wheel weights on as possible. With as much acreage as you got I'd stay up towards the 70hp. You might get disappointed With the 50 hp range.

Dirtroad Johnson

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I guess that's why the nearest new Holland dealer is 6hrs away, they never need service. Last time I heard comments like that were from a farmer using allis finger cotton strippers. Since they're a CNH product and in 2 years the only CNH product I've seen still working after its first week is the current maxxum 150 I've more or less stolen, I'd pass. Considering Deere is the only company with a cotton picker, the only high speed planter that actually works, and GPS that actually works, I guess that's all yuppie stuff. Considering my 6300 has 6000+ hrs, the 9965 has 5000+ hrs, the 6430 and 7420 have 1000 or so, the 6700 has 3000+ hrs, and I have no clue what the 9900 or 2022 have on then I would say I'm fairly experienced with equipment. New Holland will be fine for hay and silage, but so would Kubota, that's not particularly taxing on equipment, pulling a strip till rig with planters in silt is a bit different animal.

You nailed it buddy, he ain't gotta clue but he has a lot of mouth & opinion about everything; thinks he has more experience than 3 - 4 generation farmers. He also don't wear snake boots cause the Indians didn't. They didn't live in double wides & drive 4 wheel drive Nissans either. How he got to be in charge on this forum in any capacity is ?????????? Come harvest season -- come to South Ga & see what farm equipment is most visible on the roads. However I like Mf - ford - New hollands - Kubota as well. There some good options out there that will work.

Last edited:

Dirtroad Johnson

You may need to come to South Ga & educate our farmers.

heres the deal. everyone that lives in a neighborhood and bought a jd lawnmower from Lowes thinks jd sucks. Anyone who is actually farming or connected to the farming community knows that jd is the leader of the industry and its not even close. at the end of the day any jd/kabota/case newholland will do what you need it to do. heres the big things to me. who's dealer is closer, and if there are several close which people treat you the best, and get a tractor with a power reverser.

rstallings1979

I haven't read through all the comments but here is my experience with a 2016 John Deere 5055E bought new....

1) Tractor is perfect for what I need it for...mowing and food plots and general maintenance around the farm.
2) Newer Tractors unfortunately have the engine regen...I have already had problems with it and expect to have problems again. Its a faulty system on the newer tractors in my opinion. Maybe they have gotten better but I have read about constant regen issues with the John Deere and Kubota
3) If you do not have a diesel tank on sight or in the back of your truck you better be careful transporting gas to the sight of the tractor. There is a small hidden filter leading from the gas tank to the fuel filter on the E series tractors. This becomes "gunked" up with junk and it will shut the tractor down. I switched mine out for an in line that I can see. Also if your tractor will sit up for a while the new tractors need some fuel treatment for sure to kill the algae etc that may build up in the tank. I do not use mine as much during the Nov-March months of course.

Needless to say if I could find a really good pre regen tractor that I know was in good shape I would buy it in a heart beat. They have fewer problems in my opinion and you can fix them way easier. There is a reason why they are holding their values so well.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I haven't read through all the comments but here is my experience with a 2016 John Deere 5055E bought new....

1) Tractor is perfect for what I need it for...mowing and food plots and general maintenance around the farm.
2) Newer Tractors unfortunately have the engine regen...I have already had problems with it and expect to have problems again. Its a faulty system on the newer tractors in my opinion. Maybe they have gotten better but I have read about constant regen issues with the John Deere and Kubota
3) If you do not have a diesel tank on sight or in the back of your truck you better be careful transporting gas to the sight of the tractor. There is a small hidden filter leading from the gas tank to the fuel filter on the E series tractors. This becomes "gunked" up with junk and it will shut the tractor down. I switched mine out for an in line that I can see. Also if your tractor will sit up for a while the new tractors need some fuel treatment for sure to kill the algae etc that may build up in the tank. I do not use mine as much during the Nov-March months of course.

Needless to say if I could find a really good pre regen tractor that I know was in good shape I would buy it in a heart beat. They have fewer problems in my opinion and you can fix them way easier. There is a reason why they are holding their values so well.

this is the reason I wouldn't buy anything that runs DEF or a particulate filter. Thanks to the EPA, you now have more headaches than you can handle.

This is the major reason I bought a Mahindra with a Tier 4 engine. No need for that junk on it.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Buddy who works on them for a living also farms told me if he had to buy one under 100 HP he would go orange, didn't like green whatsoever BUT his farm equipment is BIG green that is over 5 yrs old so I think he gave me an honest opinion

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I see a LOT of green in Missouri,I am seeing more Orange in the smaller tractors.(70 hp or less)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The big farms and plantations around here still use the big green ones.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Buddy who works on them for a living also farms told me if he had to buy one under 100 HP he would go orange, didn't like green whatsoever BUT his farm equipment is BIG green that is over 5 yrs old so I think he gave me an honest opinion

from what I have read here, I think that is the consenus. Above 120hp or so, JD is great. JD is great if you buy older stuff. New JD 100hp and down. Nah

stringmusic

from what I have read here, I think that is the consenus. Above 120hp or so, JD is great. JD is great if you buy older stuff. New JD 100hp and down. Nah
Yep.

stringmusic

I don’t think anybody could convince me that JD makes even close to the best tractor in the 30-70 hp range.

Just looking at the manufacture specs from each company, every other tractor weighs more, lifts more, and has better function and less plastic than a JD.

stringmusic

this is the reason I wouldn't buy anything that runs DEF or a particulate filter. Thanks to the EPA, you now have more headaches than you can handle.

This is the major reason I bought a Mahindra with a Tier 4 engine. No need for that junk on it.
Also the main reason I bought Mahindra. And also the weight, lifting capacity of the FEL, tire size and warranty seemed to all favor mahindra.