Tractor purchase questions: hp, drive and brand

doomtrpr_z71

While I understand the resistance to DEF systems, mahindra still has a high recirculation EGR, an oxidation catalyst, and CCV valves, theres no free lunch there either, you have a high dollar injection pump that may or may not be available down the road that I hope would be more reliable than Boschs CP4 pumps that likes to explode like a handgrenade.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You nailed it buddy, he ain't gotta clue but he has a lot of mouth & opinion about everything; thinks he has more experience than 3 - 4 generation farmers. He also don't wear snake boots cause the Indians didn't. They didn't live in double wides & drive 4 wheel drive Nissans either. How he got to be in charge on this forum in any capacity is ?????????? Come harvest season -- come to South Ga & see what farm equipment is most visible on the roads. However I like Mf - ford - New hollands as well. There some good options out there that will work.
You are entitled to your opinion, and I don't really give a crap if you like me or ony of my opinions or habits. My life doesn't revolve around meeting your expectations. But, you can keep your insults and hate to yourself. I don't come on here and talk crap about you, and I'd appreciate it if you do the same.

No, I don't have an opinion about everything. The reason I have an opinion on this subject is because between growing up on one of those multi-generational farms that you speak of, and the type of work I've done for most of my life, I have spent a good chunk of my life on a tractor, day after day, both on a farm and in commercial work. All kinds and brands. I don't really give a durn whether you believe that or not. In that time, yes, I have formulated my own opinion about what works the most efficiently and breaks down the least. That was the opinion I gave to the guy who asked the question, not to you. Your opinion may totatlly differ, and that's ok. Give it to him without attacking other folks. And the farming world isn't limited to south Georgia.

I do not have an opinion about cotton pickers, GPS-guided combines, or huge tractors to work a thousand-acre flatland farm with, because I don't know anything about any of those. This thread was about the best all-around small tractor for the money for general use. I'm sorry if my opinion made you mad or caused you strife of any sort. They make chocolate and vanilla both. Buy the cone you like, but don't tear somebody else down for picking the other flavor.

Dirtroad Johnson

You are entitled to your opinion, and I don't really give a crap if you like me or ony of my opinions or habits. My life doesn't revolve around meeting your expectations. But, you can keep your insults and hate to yourself. I don't come on here and talk crap about you, and I'd appreciate it if you do the same.

No, I don't have an opinion about everything. The reason I have an opinion on this subject is because between growing up on one of those multi-generational farms that you speak of, and the type of work I've done for most of my life, I have spent a good chunk of my life on a tractor, day after day, both on a farm and in commercial work. All kinds and brands. I don't really give a durn whether you believe that or not. In that time, yes, I have formulated my own opinion about what works the most efficiently and breaks down the least. Yours may differ, and that's ok. And the farming world isn't limited to south Georgia.

I do not have an opinion about cotton pickers, GPS-guided combines, or huge tractors to work a thousand-acre flatland farm with, because I don't know anything about any of those. This thread was about the best all-around small tractor for the money for general use. I'm sorry if my opinion made you mad or caused you strife of any sort. They make chocolate and vanilla both. Buy the cone you like, but don't tear somebody else down for picking the other flavor.
(n)(n)(n)

oppthepop

I guess i have been dubbed a "yuppi" by NCHillbilly. Thanks for that my friend! :) Never been called that before, but have been called various and sundry names i won't repeat on this nice forum! I have two JD's and if and when i am ever able to buy another tractor it will be a JD. My friends/serious farmers up in Illinois, Ohio, and a large plantation in Alabama i guess assume the nickname of "Yuppi" as well, but I won't tell them. They take that stuff pretty seriously there, and i wouldn't want to start a nickname war with any of them!

doomtrpr_z71

Hey Folks,

Finally time for an upgrade…. I think.

Nice problem to have, I know.

I have my little 32 hp 4wd Kubota with FEL and it has been a great little tractor. Pulling 5’ implements makes for slow work when trying to plant acreage. I have about 35 acres plus firebreak and road work.

Want to move to a 8’ disk and a 7’ bushhog.

Candidates right now are the JD 5045e and the 5055e – 50 and 59 hp respectively. The upcharge to the higher hp engine is about $5k.

I have not looked at the Kubota’s in this hp range yet.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated – JD vs Kubota and 50 vs 59 hp.

Additionally, I have looked at 2wd Deere’s so far – what is everyone’s opinion on a 2wd vs 4wd unit – not only as it relates to usage and capabilities, but also as it relates to resale (should it ever come to that).

The upcharge for 4wd is also about $5k.

I am keeping the Kubota for 4wd and FEL work, along with close in, woods work.

Thanks in advance…

Jim
Some other thoughts on the deere, I'd rather have a 4 series 4wd than a 5 series 2wd, I'd take the the 4wd. Personally I'd also rather have a 4 series with a cab than a 5 without, but that is a big swing in money. There is nothing wrong with Kubota until you get to the cabbed 75+hp tractors. I do feel if you demo a yanmar in that hp range thats most likely what you'll buy especially since they come with powershift transmissions not hydros. In that HP range a Case or New Holland is a LS, masseys are chinese, mahindras would be their design instead of Mitsubishi, and the rest would be the bottom of the bucket. Whatever you do, make sure you get a left hand reverser, once you go that way you won't go back even though I despise CNH left hand reversers.

Dirtroad Johnson

It wasn't just but a a little bit ago that Hillbilly on another thread posted something like he worked as musician & didn't get home to daylight for 20 yrs or so., & now he's got 40 something yrs. & thousands of hours of experience with all types of equipment and he's 50 -51. He can't keep up with his on bull.

Philnlucky

Hey Folks,

I have my little 32 hp 4wd Kubota with FEL and it has been a great little tractor. Pulling 5’ implements makes for slow work when trying to plant acreage. I have about 35 acres plus firebreak and road work.

Candidates right now are the JD 5045e and the 5055e – 50 and 59 hp respectively. The upcharge to the higher hp engine is about $5k.

Additionally, I have looked at 2wd Deere’s so far – what is everyone’s opinion on a 2wd vs 4wd unit – not only as it relates to usage and capabilities, but also as it relates to resale (should it ever come to that).

Thanks in advance…

Jim

Well, We have run JD tractors on our farm since my dad bought a 1964 2010 RU gas. (which I still use) As far as intermediate size tractors, I am currently running a 2018 JD 5100M cab w/ FEL and grapple, and a 2019 JD 5075 E w/FEL and 4 way bucket. The new E's are much improved over the earlier models, and if you are doing any tillage, I would always recommend 4 wheel/front assist over two wheel drive, especially on utility tractors under 10,000#s.
I do agree, choosing a tractor upgrade is a nice problem to have. Good luck on your decision!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Well, We have run JD tractors on our farm since my dad bought a 1964 2010 RU gas. (which I still use) As far as intermediate size tractors, I am currently running a 2018 JD 5100M cab w/ FEL and grapple, and a 2019 JD 5075 E w/FEL and 4 way bucket. The new E's are much improved over the earlier models, and if you are doing any tillage, I would always recommend 4 wheel/front assist over two wheel drive, especially on utility tractors under 10,000#s.
I do agree, choosing a tractor upgrade is a nice problem to have. Good luck on your decision!

my first tractor was a JD 2010 gas. I used it to clear up the land I bought to build a house on. I finished up with it and had a fellow up to price building all the cabinets in my house. He looked at my tractor, and we ended up swapping. A good deal for both of us.

BriarPatch99

Don't think I seen it mentioned yet ...but John Deere used to be a John Deere ... but now there are several levels of John Deere ...

The "E" tractors are made in India....
The "M" are made in USA most likely Augusta, Ga...
The "R" are some in Germany and some in Augusta...

Have your JD dealer pull a 5075E right beside a 5075M.... Look both over ... Then make your mind up ....

I have to admit I run a JD 7210 and a JD 5625 .... a Ford 3600 & a Oliver 440....

Lilly001

Don't think I seen it mentioned yet ...but John Deere used to be a John Deere ... but now there are several levels of John Deere ...

Have your JD dealer pull a 5075E right beside a 5075M.... Look both over ... Then make your mind up ....

I have to admit I run a JD 7210 and a JD 5625 .... a Ford 3600 & a Oliver 440....
That's part of the issue. JD makes so many different levels and equipment packages that it is sometimes hard to compare apples to apples.
Your example the E's to the M's is almost like comparing two different brands.
I wish I could afford an M, but I'll do with my E.

BriarPatch99

That's part of the issue. JD makes so many different levels and equipment packages that it is sometimes hard to compare apples to apples.
Your example the E's to the M's is almost like comparing two different brands.
I wish I could afford an M, but I'll do with my E.

Nothing wrong at all with the "E" .... Just want to make sure that folks knew John Deere is not as simple as it was years ago ...

I spent a morning "drooling" over a 4066M ....not too long ago ....

Last edited:

doomtrpr_z71

And the 80+HP e series are the same as a m with less features and even roll off the same production line. Funny you mention Oliver's, there's actually a guy farming in central ga with Minneapolis Moline s and Oliver's all because a Deere 4020 he demoed was below it's rating on the Dyno. It's easy to start a fight at the Sunbelt expo by holding up a 4020 model and asking what's wrong with it, but he couldn't be swayed and still sticks with his Oliver's.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I have a Case 55HP that I got from a member on here. I have been very, very happy with it. It is 4wd and has plenty of power for whatever you are pulling for food plotting. It would be worth a look if you have a dealer close Mr. Jim

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We got a JD 5045 on our family farm in South GA. I own a New Holland TC 35D on my deer hunting property in West GA. I don't have tens of thousands of hours operating a tractor but based on the time I have spent on both I prefer the New Holland. The 5045 has more HP but the New Holland just plugs away and gets the job done. I've put 1,000 hours on it and it had 675 on it when I bought it. Other than scheduled maintenance I haven't spent an extra dime on it and I have pushed it to its' limits. Can't say that about the JD.

If you're wanting a E series JD get at least a 5085e. It's a totally different tractor than the 5075e and smaller. The New Hollands flat out suck. I've got some friends that traded in some Jd's for them for hay work and they didn't even keep them for a full hay season before they bought more JD's. Some Kubota's are decent tractors they just don't have enough weight for ground tillage. As for as Massey fergusion goes I got a good friend that owns a Massey and a mahindra dealership and I could buy either one of them at cost and I still wouldn't own one. I put more hours on a tractor in a year than most people will in their lifetime. Jd does built some junk model tractors but most models are good tractors. Take a ride through south ga and see what kind of tractor is working 90% of the fields. A lot of the manufacturers use small 3 cylinder engines and turn the turbo boost way up to save money but then the engines will not last as long as a bigger engine. What ever manufactures and models you are interested in compare the weight and engine size.

Jim Boyd

Right now, it looks like a 5055e Deere MFWD @ 59 hp.

Weight bar and 4 weights, JD quick connect and JD canopy.

8’ Frontier disc and JD MX7 cutter.

Looked at used and at every turn there was a “but......”.

More details as they emerge.

davidhelmly

Right now, it looks like a 5055e Deere MFWD @ 59 hp.

Weight bar and 4 weights, JD quick connect and JD canopy.

8’ Frontier disc and JD MX7 cutter.

Looked at used and at every turn there was a “but......”.

More details as they emerge.
You definitely won't regret it Jim!!

oppthepop

Jim that's the tractor I have and use on a regular basis and really like it. You won't regret it!

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Hey Folks,

Thanks in advance…

Jim

Had a Kubota. Was great smaller tractor. Moved up to a new 55 hp John Deere. The Deere is not as well made as the Kubota was. For my next tractor someone is really gonna have to WORK to talk me out of a Mahindra. I've researched them and talked to owners. Dollar for dollar they are the best out there and it isn't even close.