Tractor Size

grouper throat

We have four that are 30+ hp and I like the smaller ford for the overall manueverability better than the big JDs for plowing and general work. I like the 4wds and DEFINITELY get a front end loader. I'd retrofit a ROPS system on an older tractor also you can never be too careful. My FIL has a new kubota 4x4 front end loader that's around 30 hp that's a fine piece of equipment also. Their 'shift on the go' system is nice for running back and forth between fields and such.

Israel

BANNED
I continue to read with pleasure.

Tucaway

Bushogging and planting a little over 4 acres....started out with a JD850(24HP) when I first got the place. Great for bushogging tight areas and ok for turning ground for planting. I was very pleased with the tractor.
5 years ago I got a JD 45HP basic tractor and now do 6 acres of bushogging and planting in less time it took me with the smaller tractor to do 4 acres. I couldn't go back to the smaller tractor now. I vote with the over 30HP crowd.
Good luck!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Another thing to think about, is the overall weight of the tractor. Too heavy can be a problem, but so can too light of a tractor. It's the weight of the tractor that puts (whatever) the horsepower you have, down on the ground. I have heavy clay ground and use a 3800 lb, 55 horsepower tractor and I can loose traction, when doing some operations.

Rear hydraulic remotes are a blessing! They come in very handy to run remote hydraulic cylinders.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I've got 8 forward gears and 8 reverse, but it would be nice to even have a couple more gears.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Speed will get you hurt and will tear up your equipment, then if you bust something how much time did you save???????????????????? [/COLOR]

Mike

"Smooth is slow, slow is fast". :cool:

ben300win

I recommend at least 35 hp with 4x4 and a loader. I had a Mitsubishi 18 hp 4x4 with a loader and loved it, but it was prone to tip over because it was too narrow. I had a ford 3000 as well. My ford 3000 was rated at 50 hp at the motor, maybe the 37 mentioned above was the pto rating. I currently have a Farmtrac 555 dtc (same as a ford 3910) that is 4x4 with the loader. I had to use it to pull a 12 ft harrow and pull out a buddy of mines truck and 70 hp 2wd tractor. Do not get a tractor without 4x4! You will never know when you need it.

Ihunt

The larger tractors are nice and I can not agrue with the above comments. Consider this though. If you are going to be moving it,what kind of vehicle do you have? You can move the smaller tractors with a 1500 series truck but the if you buy a large tractor how will you move it? I have moved a 46hp Kubota with a 1500 Chevy but it's unsafe,scarey, and rough on your vehicle. Consider everything about your purchase. Good Luck.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The larger tractors are nice and I can not agrue with the above comments. Consider this though. If you are going to be moving it,what kind of vehicle do you have? You can move the smaller tractors with a 1500 series truck but the if you buy a large tractor how will you move it? I have moved a 46hp Kubota with a 1500 Chevy but it's unsafe,scarey, and rough on your vehicle. Consider everything about your purchase. Good Luck.

Definitely. If you have to transport the tractor like I do the appropriate pull horse and trailer combo should come first. That may impact what you can spend on the tractor.

Most 30-45 HP tractors can be pulled by a standard P/U truck with a towing package. I have a New Holland TC 35D. My 5.7L iForce V8 Tundra does an excellent job. A Silverado 1500 or F-150 with the towing package should fill the bill nicely.