Trespassers ruined opening youth hunt.

watermedic

If they were arrested for trespassing, they may also get charged with possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Not sure of the legalities for that charge.

bubbafowler

If they were arrested for trespassing, they may also get charged with possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Not sure of the legalities for that charge.
OCGA 16-11-106
And it's commission of certain crimes. This does not apply. Covers knives too......

Not directed at you but it amazes me the number of people that think they know the law and try to tell everyone what it says. If you really wanna know they print a book about every 2 years. Official code of georgia annotated. Or OCGA.

ucfireman

Would be nice of the judge would sentence them and have their UTVs confiscated. I hear they do that when you commit a crime using a firearm.

rugerfan

I guess it is the legal beagle in me, but I do not understand this behavior in people. Whether a land is posted or not, if it is private land nobody has any business on other people's property. I mean if it was an honest mistake, I could see that, and would hope that if I unknowingly crossed into somebody else's property, they would understand and kindly show me the best way of getting back to where I needed to be.

This is just redneck trash behavior. I do not own land, but I do not feel that anybody that does owes me anything.

So in the end, I hope that they get the penalty that will make them see the error in their ways.

sleepr71

Hopefully you,or your son took video of this with your cell phone? The SECOND time they came back ...I would have felt very,very threatened. We all know they didn’t come back to apologize or read scripture ?.I guess hindsight is everything..so in hindsight ..I would tell my kid to hold back..stay in the woods..and make sure he makes it out..whatever it takes. This whole thing could have ended in you+ your son being murdered,them getting shot...whole lotta bad could have happened..just by them being stupid,and arrogant..

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Never ceases to amaze me
folks think when they buy an atv they suddenly can just ride anywhere (some folks are like that with horses too,but not near as many)
Likewise, when it snows the few that don’t already ride on other people’s property without permission suddenly think “it’s snowed, laws and common sense have been postponed till it melts” and go places they shouldn’t

killerv

sucks, I deal with it every year. Already had my gate chain cut a few times this year. Got a pond you can see from the road and people trying to go fish. Clearly posted too. Sorry folks. Found a feeder on another property over the line too.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
My son and I tried to enjoy a great afternoon of hunting together until two brothers in their 40s decided to drive their UTV over our post and cable and onto our clearly posted land. They hooped and hollered and sipped on their beer and finally stopped at the bank of the creek about 100 yards behind our stand. I got out of the stand and approached them, told them they were trespassing on private land, and asked them to leave or I would have to contact the Sheriff’s Office. They told me they did not see a no trespass sign (which they drove by) and also said they followed others into the property (another lie). They left and drove to the roadway and fired about 25-30 pistol rounds from a nearby bridge and then left only to return to my property again an hour later in the same exact spot, only this time, when I approached them, one said, you gonna call the Sheriff this time or what? Well guess what, we’re not leavin your property, and turned the UTV around began kicking up dust and drove further back into my property. By this time, I was on the phone with the Sheriff’s Office who later found the men hiding in the woods and arrested them for trespass. Guess we’ll try it again tomorrow.

I hunt with an AR-10 and it always has a ful 20 round mag in it. My temper is fairly bad, to a fault. That second time, knowing me, I probably would have turned that UTV into swiss cheese the minute it crossed the property line.

Mark K

Banned
No doubt. Just don’t trust that I could have been that level headed.
Had a situation similar in a Dodge Co lease I was in. Had my son with me also. Always keep an AR in the truck no matter what season is in too.
Well I confronted 4 “grownups” probably kids in their early 20’s, who had the audacity to say there was only one of me but four of them and if I didn’t want my “old beep” kicked that I had better move on cause they’ve been riding this property since they were old enough to walk.
Well, I am older and I already expected this...my son who was about 14 at the time was hid in the bushes...with the AR...with a laser site on it. When that light hit that boys chest they all turned white as a ghost and decided they didn’t want to fight after all. Never had another issue with ANYONE riding through the property again.
And before anyone thinks this is wrong...the laser was removable and wasn’t on the AR, but he did have the AR with him...just in case. I also had a visible sidearm that didn’t seem to phase them at first.
Sometimes it’s what’s perceived that you’re willing to do vs actually having to do something.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I don’t worry to much about joy riding in the off season.
It seems during the season around it it is very very minimal!
Mostly being curious .

As far as threating anyone for doing that. Never have.
If things come missing I contact LEO. If hunting related I also contact DNR. These boys in this county work together.

I have been out there in the summer and a couple riders came up on me. They asked if it was my place. I said no. Just joy riding. They said us too. We from a camp down the road. I asked to ride there’s. They didn’t seem to mind.

The OP handled it the right way as I have said before.

95g atl

Had a situation similar in a Dodge Co lease I was in. Had my son with me also. Always keep an AR in the truck no matter what season is in too.
Well I confronted 4 “grownups” probably kids in their early 20’s, who had the audacity to say there was only one of me but four of them and if I didn’t want my “old beep” kicked that I had better move on cause they’ve been riding this property since they were old enough to walk.
Well, I am older and I already expected this...my son who was about 14 at the time was hid in the bushes...with the AR...with a laser site on it. When that light hit that boys chest they all turned white as a ghost and decided they didn’t want to fight after all. Never had another issue with ANYONE riding through the property again.
And before anyone thinks this is wrong...the laser was removable and wasn’t on the AR, but he did have the AR with him...just in case. I also had a visible sidearm that didn’t seem to phase them at first.
Sometimes it’s what’s perceived that you’re willing to do vs actually having to do something.

Well done!
don't think the laser site would have been removed on my AR. Would have been likely attached.
They did after all verbally threatened you with bodily harm.