trigger work

Shine Runner

Anyone done or had trigger work done on an old mauser action rifle? I have a mauser action on a rifle that is 30/06 caliber now, think it was 8mm previously but not 100% sure. The rifle has been handed down several times and I have hunted with it for over 20 years. Trigger pull is not great. Long travel then stops and then with more pressure it fires. Makes accuracy tough. I would like to get the trigger pull travel distance out and trigger pull more similar to modern rifles with 3-4lbs of pull. Is it possible with this type action, or is it just the way it is for these actions? The rifle stock was replaced with a monte-carlo style wood stock many years ago and it was drilled and tapped for a scope. Best I know, everything else is original. I don't know a reliable gunsmith close to Perry. I wanted to see what ya'll know 1st. Thanks.

jmoser

Anyone done or had trigger work done on an old mauser action rifle? I have a mauser action on a rifle that is 30/06 caliber now, think it was 8mm previously but not 100% sure. The rifle has been handed down several times and I have hunted with it for over 20 years. Trigger pull is not great. Long travel then stops and then with more pressure it fires. Makes accuracy tough. I would like to get the trigger pull travel distance out and trigger pull more similar to modern rifles with 3-4lbs of pull. Is it possible with this type action, or is it just the way it is for these actions? The rifle stock was replaced with a monte-carlo style wood stock many years ago and it was drilled and tapped for a scope. Best I know, everything else is original. I don't know a reliable gunsmith close to Perry. I wanted to see what ya'll know 1st. Thanks.

Sounds like it has a 2-stage trigger, common on military designs. Any good smith should be able to rework / replace to your liking; Mauser actions are one of the most common designs around.

If the rifle was drilled and tapped for a scope but everything else is original you might want to consider a new trigger with a safety built in. The Bold and Timney products are both great recomendations.