Trolling motor

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Couple of questions but I haven't messed with one in probably 20 years and it was just a little one on my granddads pond and river jon, I have a 16ft gatortrax with 21" sides and debating getting a saltwater trolling motor for an upcoming beach trip to stalk around the flats, we go down a couple times a year and in complete honesty I havent fished much at all since my grandpa passed 8 years ago but I have a 7 year old boy who loves to go, so I'd rather over buy for a few saltwater trips even though it will primarily be used in freshwater for bass fishing mostly ponds, small rivers, and the occasional lake and flats trip. My budget is under 1000.00 preferably around 5-600.00 if that exists

Do I really need one?

Torn between bow mount and a transom mount that I buy the adapter for and mount to the bow, not a lot of space on the transom, the boat has a mudbuddy and would just prefer a transom mount, will eventually get a fish finder but that's a future question.

What is the optimal thrust for a 16'x50" gatortrax, things built like a tank, shaft length ect and anything I'm not thinking about and I'm sure there's a lot I'm not thinking about?

Not much of a preference between 12 or 24v so whatever is recommended?

Thanks in advance fellas

flatsmaster

I’d go a 24V on the bow ... current in salt will kill a 12V pretty quick .. 54 inch shaft will prolly work on ur GT fine ... minimum 24v is 70 lb thrust ... not sure if ur gonna pull that off for 500-600 ... but go saltwater like a riptide if u can ... the little plastic holder on a transom mount if u bring up and down much is a pain and running u might as well unclamp if any chop ... obviously I think bow mount is the only way to go unless Jon boat pond fishing ... good luck

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
You're gonna need a trolling motor to keep from having to fire up that loud mud motor to move short distances...
12 V or 24 V...
Are you going to use it for short 3 in 4 hour trips or all day long?
Do you have space to add 1 battery or 2?

A $100, 8' stick it pin will be most advantageous for pulling up to a spot and holding there.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Thank y'all

I've got plenty of space for batteries, and it will most likely be short trips, for the actual vacation I may get a few hours in the morning and late evenings, but future day flats trips would probably be most of the day with some cruising mixed in, ohh and I kept the stock muffler, louds cool for about a week then a head ache

flatsmaster

Here’s mine on my G Trax ... I will add bc we can’t live without one throwing artificial and where and how we fish but you can certainly anchor up and soak bait or throw artificial and crank and move to another spot with no Tr Motor needed ... also make sure your solid in the anchor department if saltwater fishing with a ripping tide ... much different then just anchoring in a lake with wind blowing ..
Have fun and get that boy fishing

Attachments

• E7CE5B5A-80B5-4B93-88EE-B70795AE202F.jpeg
    E7CE5B5A-80B5-4B93-88EE-B70795AE202F.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 53

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Here’s mine on my G Trax ... I will add bc we can’t live without one throwing artificial and where and how we fish but you can certainly anchor up and soak bait or throw artificial and crank and move to another spot with no Tr Motor needed ... also make sure your solid in the anchor department if saltwater fishing with a ripping tide ... much different then just anchoring in a lake with wind blowing ..
Have fun and get that boy fishing

I've got the home made version of that, one on each side and some emt pipe lol.

And yes sir I do need to update the anchor system, idea on rough lbs sizes to secure it? I seriously doubt until I'm more comfortable getting very far away from land and not over staying my capabilities in anything I'm questioning as far as water getting rough, no need to get stupid there will be other fishing days

doomtrpr_z71

Inshore, I'd say 24v bow mount hand control Minn kota and a stick it anchor, no need for spot lock unless you're planning on near shore reefs. I miss having a trolling motor everytime we borrow a 17ft skiff without one.

flatsmaster

On a anchor you can google what weight for ur boat length and weight ... If ur staying shallow I doubt you’ll need any chain but it does help anchor catch in strong current as well as plenty of rope ... I’d go a fluted anchor not a mushroom type anchor ... or like others have said if you’ll be in 3 to 4 foot of water a stick it pin is a easy option but I’d still have a anchor in my boat

Rich M

I have a 50# troller on an SSV18 Lund. Run a 45# rip tide on 16 ft Lowe.

I would consider a 24 volt if I was gonna sit in an inlet and need to run higher speeds in the current. In normal ICW current, the 12 volts versions have been plenty.

We use anchor (20# river anchor) instead of having some monstrosity sticking up at the rear of the boat. I see the advantage of the automatic anchor poles but it would be in my way 90% of the time as my 18 is multi-use and also used for offshore tolling.

Spot lock/e motor anchor is real nice inshore too. We use it in the river and areas with stronger current but not on the flats.