Tungsten Origin...

HD28

I was told tungsten only comes from China? Is that correct? If so, aside from the ridiculous price, that's another reason for me to not use it.

Gadget

Does Hal still sell it? I haven't had to buy any in over 10yrs since I have over 50lbs...probably a lifetime supply as long as I don't start developing new loads again.

deast1988

Does Hal still sell it? I haven't had to buy any in over 10yrs since I have over 50lbs...probably a lifetime supply as long as I don't start developing new loads again.
believe his website is tungsten super slam.

Gadget

https://tssshot.com/
@Gadget
he sells raw shot? And reload kits, and loaded shells.

Interesting, reminds me of the guy Hal and I first started buying from many years ago who was only making duck loads and not interested in turkey loads. He was importing it as fishing sinkers because it was banned as shot for being considered Armour piercing rounds.

cowhornedspike

Interesting, reminds me of the guy Hal and I first started buying from many years ago who was only making duck loads and not interested in turkey loads. He was importing it as fishing sinkers because it was banned as shot for being considered Armour piercing rounds.

Yep. We both started back in the "Kyle" days. Sometimes I wish it was still that way and only those off us who were willing to take the time and effort to work on loads were using it. Too easy to get nowadays.

lampern

What's wrong with lead shot for turkey? Worked for years & years.

Not dense/hard enough (compared to tungsten alloy)

Tungsten alloys penetrate better at longer ranges

Tighter groups with more pellets with tungsten

Only thing lead has going for it , it is much cheaper

And other than 16 gauge users, tss is factory loaded for all shotgun gauges. I don't think anyone loads 16 gauge

Tungsten shells are very expensive for the number you get

Unless you are a serious hand loader and can lower the costs

Also to add lead shot is being outlawed in many places. So there is that as well

Last edited:

strothershwacker

I
Not dense/hard enough (compared to tungsten alloy)

Tungsten alloys penetrate better at longer ranges

Tighter groups with more pellets with tungsten

Only thing lead has going for it , it is much cheaper

And other than 16 gauge users, tss is factory loaded for all shotgun gauges. I don't think anyone loads 16 gauge

Tungsten shells are very expensive for the number you get

Unless you are a serious hand loader and can lower the costs

Also to add lead shot is being outlawed in many places. So there is that as well
I ain't never had a problem killing turkeys with lead. Tungsten may be better but I'm the if it ain't broke don't fix it type.

Gaswamp

Ive killed them with lead and tungsten. But with the advent of Winchester Longbeards it is all I need in a 12 or 20

Gadget

Yep. We both started back in the "Kyle" days. Sometimes I wish it was still that way and only those off us who were willing to take the time and effort to work on loads were using it. Too easy to get nowadays.

I hear ya, Hal and I developed loads together and shared data privately for years before he started selling and going public. I wasn't real happy when he went public, I had a lot of time and money in those recipes.

Bubba_1122

I've had some pretty significant neck surgery and can't shoot a 12 gauge or high brass 20's.

I shoot a 28 at everything (ducks, doves, turkeys, quail, etc). I shoot a blended shell (TSS and steel) at ducks and pure TSS shells at turkeys (load them myself - got the recipes from Hal). I shoot lead at doves and quail.

TSS allows me to keep hunting. I appreciate Hal (and Gadget) for making both the TSS shot and the recipes available that allow me to stay in the game. I'm 66 and sure hope I can hunt the rest of my life.

Lukikus2

Actually started with ducks. Lead was banned because of "poisoning" of the ducks. Steel shot was introduced and made law. Steel shot did not group well and tungsten came along to save the day. And you had to have a barrel that would stand up to steel shot blah blah blah.

killerv

Actually started with ducks. Lead was banned because of "poisoning" of the ducks. Steel shot was introduced and made law. Steel shot did not group well and tungsten came along to save the day. And you had to have a barrel that would stand up to steel shot blah blah blah.

First time I saw it was early 2000s in a duck blind. Then the winchester supreme elite extended ranges in the mid to late 2000s was using it in turkey loads, that was some awesome stuff! Then they stopped making it due to the price of the shot. I didn't care, I pull the trigger 3 times a year if I'm lucky, whats 10 bucks a shell after gas, property taxes, planting, etc....