turkey call wanted Don Chancey

john1970

any one have info on this turkey calls Don Chancey of Baxley, Georgia would love to buy his calls

Last edited:

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Don died over ten years ago. He was 2001 Best of Show and Gibson Award Winner at the NWTF. Don worked at Plant Hatch, Baxley, Georgia and was retired when he turned to call making. He made great boxes and far too few before his passing. Great fellow. Here's a long box he made for me in December of 2002. Butternut box with cedar paddle. It’s as light as a feather and has great sound. Gil

KentuckyHeadhunter

That's quite a nice and rare box GLS. Butternut and cedar are a great combo. He made some nice calls. Interesting this came up.

coastalredneck

not intending to highjack this thread but any of you remember or heard of RJ Hewitt? I have a box he made back in the early 90's when he was living in Ludowicci (spell). I actually found him about 5 years ago living in Adel,Ga.. he made me 2 more boxes and they sound and look as the one I have earlier. A lot of good call makers out there that are under the radar you know?

GLS

not intending to highjack this thread but any of you remember or heard of RJ Hewitt? I have a box he made back in the early 90's when he was living in Ludowicci (spell). I actually found him about 5 years ago living in Adel,Ga.. he made me 2 more boxes and they sound and look as the one I have earlier. A lot of good call makers out there that are under the radar you know?
Maybe if you started a thread with the maker's name in the thread title you might get a response. I almost didn't open this thread because the title didn't grab attention.

Last edited:

straightshooter

I actually have one of the last box calls he ever made. Don passed away in August, 2006 after being diagnosed with cancer in early May of that year. My call is dated 3/2006, but I did not receive the call from his wife until January of 2007. It is an "Old Hen" model personalized to me, including the following passage written on the bottom of the call. "Marty, I trust you will find this call a real Go-Gitter. Gobbles of Luck - Don Chancey. The call has a walnut lid, poplar box, cherry bottom and cedar inlays. Don also added etched and blackened artwork on the sides - mushroom, oak leaves and acorn cluster, turkey tracks and a turkey feather. I also have letters from his wife Peggy about the call and Don. This is a beautiful call with a remarkable sound, and is an important part of my call collection.

GLS

Marty, after Jimmy in Soperton saw mine, he bought a few from Don a little before you got yours. They are great calls. Gil