untitled car dilemma

BeerThirty

I have scenario that I'm looking for advice on.

I have a vehicle that's titled to me but presently does not have a tag. The reason it is not tagged is because we are waiting for my oldest son to get his driver's licence, which is coming up here shortly. The vehicle runs but has some problems that I need to take to the mechanic to get repaired. It is insured, but at the lowest possible coverages as it has been sitting in my yard for almost a year now.

So my dilemma is getting the vehicle to the mechanic that is about 5 miles down the road. I'm going to call my agent and increase coverage. But regarding the tag situation, is there such thing as a temporary tag or do I just risk running it? I won't be able to get it tagged because it's throwing a few codes. And I think it's silly and costly to trailer a running vehicle just for this purpose, because I don't own a trailer. I'm leaning towards just running it down the road in the eve when there are fewer smokeys on the road. Probably have my wife drive my vehicle behind me too just to cover up the tag :)

hopper

I'd risk it. I do have AAA with unlimited tows and could use that. Probably would still risk it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
5 miles? If it is rural area, I'd run it and not worry about it. If I got stopped, I would tell them it is on the way to the shop to be repaired. Shoot, I would probably do it in downtown Hotlanta too.

sinclair1

I have scenario that I'm looking for advice on.

I have a vehicle that's titled to me but presently does not have a tag. The reason it is not tagged is because we are waiting for my oldest son to get his driver's licence, which is coming up here shortly. The vehicle runs but has some problems that I need to take to the mechanic to get repaired. It is insured, but at the lowest possible coverages as it has been sitting in my yard for almost a year now.

So my dilemma is getting the vehicle to the mechanic that is about 5 miles down the road. I'm going to call my agent and increase coverage. But regarding the tag situation, is there such thing as a temporary tag or do I just risk running it? I won't be able to get it tagged because it's throwing a few codes. And I think it's silly and costly to trailer a running vehicle just for this purpose, because I don't own a trailer. I'm leaning towards just running it down the road in the eve when there are fewer smokeys on the road. Probably have my wife drive my vehicle behind me too just to cover up the tag :)
Do you need emissions where you are? It’s getting tougher with tag scanners but I would risk it.

Robert28

I’d drive it the 5 miles. I will say this, evening might not be the best time to drive it if you’re trying to avoid cops. I don’t know about where you live but they’re most active in my area in the mornings and from the time school gets out through the rest of the day. From 10-3 you don’t see hardly any cops, they seem to be out and about when school is letting in and when it gets out and then on into the night, especially on weekends.

Boondocks

Just drive it. Don't worry abut the little stuff. If you get stoped tell them w.hat your doing.The cops have bigger things than that to worry about and they shure will not want to sit in court to testify about the ticket.

Lilly001

No tag should, at worst, be a lower level misdemeanor. A fake tag could be worse.
It it’s insured the liability is covered.
I would risk the ticket.
Or rent a trailer for the day at the local UHaul.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I did that one time for emissions. It wasn't tagged due to repairs before I could pass emissions and I had insurance. I was on the way to get emissions. A deputy pulled me over for out of date tag. I explained to him what I was doing. He told me to take it back home and have it towed to emissions station. He also told me he could have it impounded if he wanted to. I drove it back home and went and rented a car dolly. I was pretty ticked to say the least.
Your millage may very, I had no luck...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Why not just ask the repair guy to pick it up. Let him decide on tow or drive.