Wading Fightingtown Creek

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Wrong again…if the stream is not navigable, the owner certainly can restrict access. You can’t access the creek behind my house because I own it. Same with Fightingtown. I don’t care of you like it, that’s just the way it is. You can disagree all you want, and you can also go to jail for trying. Really don’t know why you want to keep arguing that.
Just for discussion sake, wonder if I paddle up stream from where I have legal access?

Tight Lines

Georgia is very clear. If it is a navigable water, you can access it. If it is not, the land and the water is the property of the property owner. If the waterway is a parcel boundary, the property owner owns to the center line.

Net-net if you have to portage your craft, or move from pool to pool for a float tube, and it's private property you are trespassing. Navigable is the only confusing part of the definition.

Private property owners can stock their private stretches. They cannot restrict the fish from moving outside their property boundaries. but they can restrict you from fishing it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
From my experience, it would be clearly marked as private property. If marked as such, I’d treat it the same as if it were dry land.

The last time I eased up into the Ichaway-Nochaway from the Flint River there was a sign painted on a full sheet of plywood with NO TRESPASSING painted on it.

The kinder gentler Nick turned around and respected their wishes.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The last time I eased up into the Ichaway-Nochaway from the Flint River there was a sign painted on a full sheet of plywood with NO TRESPASSING painted on it.

But, back in the 70`s and early 80`s I did not. There were some FINE shoal bass and redbellies in that creek.....

turkeykirk

Guess you have mellowed in your older age. :biggrin2: :rofl:IMG_8661.jpeg

TheTroutWhisperer

This has been a hot topic for years. I stayed at the FireFly cabin on Fightingtown a couple years ago and was worried the whole time if I was drifting into water where I wasn't suppose to be. I saw no posted signs and no cabins on the other side. One empty cabin on one side and another cabin 300 yards or so down river. I waded and fished in front of my rental, the empty rental and all the down close to the other. No one ever said anything to me and I didn't even see anyone. Did see a feeder in front of the cabin down river, didn't get to close to that place. It only takes one bad apple to ruin a land owner for people to fish in the river in front of their home. Might not be a bad idea to knock on the door and ask?

Robust Redhorse

If most of the folks who have had to pay the taxes for decades on these streams and who have had to deal with truck loads of beer cans, flip flops, forest fires, cut fences, terrible trash, dead cows and pets, would have to deal with it, perhaps the shoe would be on the other foot!

And absolutely none of ours is stocked by the state or feds.