Wading Fightingtown Creek

basshappy

BANNED
Just not the way it works my friend. If that was the case there would be no stocking of anything. Those people pay the same taxes you do.

What about privately stocked fish making their way to public waters after a rain just like the one we just got? Should those fish be off limits to “public fisheries”? There’s no barriers to keep the privately stocked fish in a certain section either.

Two things.

1) Those buying trout and stocking FTC could have "their fish" tagged. Simple to do, inexpensive. I have tagged fish in our pond for studies.

2) As FTC "crosses paths" with state water, IE public water if you will, this notion of stocking gets real interesting to me. I haven't researched yet, but I would presume the state of GA has a law against anyone stocking fish in public water except the state itself. Seems logical. Now I have something to research today - learn if GA DNR allows private stocking by we the people or forbids it.

Flyguyflies

Fish released in a private pond can’t migrate up and down a river or creek. And once stocked into said pond, those fish cannot be removed and placed into public water.
So it’s not the same. Those stocked trout have the ability to migrate up and down a waterway as trout that are in public waters have the ability to do the same. I’m only concerned about diseases being transmitted into the fish and not who catches them or where
Beg to differ…after a large rain like we just got dams break, lakes and ponds over flow etc. happens all the time. We never stocked catfish in our old pond, but we somehow caught them in there.

Plus, people transport fish all the time and put them in other bodies of water. Right or wrong, it happens.

Either way, the disease isn’t an issue.
I don't believe it works that way. I own property. If deer wander onto my property, they aren't "my" deer.
so you have an "open door" policy when it comes to the public hunting on your land?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
so you have an "open door" policy when it comes to the public hunting on your land?
Certainly not. But I also can't claim them as "my" deer. It's been long established that those deer are the state of Georgia's deer.

Flyguyflies

Certainly not. But I also can't claim them as "my" deer. It's been long established that those deer are the state of Georgia's deer.
Ok, but you won’t let anyone hunt them on your land, correct? If they are the “state’s deer” and I’m a tax payer, why can’t I cross your property line to shoot “public” deer?

I hope you see the irony here…

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Ok, but you won’t let anyone hunt them on your land, correct? If they are the “state’s deer” and I’m a tax payer, why can’t I cross your property line to shoot “public” deer?

I hope you see the irony here…
The irony isn't lost on me. I'm just pointing out the fallacy of claiming wildlife as private property. I may feed them, provide habitat for them, and enjoy watching them. But the aren't mine and it's foolish to get upset if they wander off my property and someone else harvests them. Whether it's deer or trout, same concept.

lampern

This is also incorrect....The Soque is not stocked by the state primarily, only one small section is(I think). Doesn't appear there was any state stocking in 2023. The majority of that river is privately stocked...refer to the same links I posted previously.

How long is the section that is publicly stocked?

lampern

The irony isn't lost on me. I'm just pointing out the fallacy of claiming wildlife as private property. I may feed them, provide habitat for them, and enjoy watching them. But the aren't mine and it's foolish to get upset if they wander off my property and someone else harvests them. Whether it's deer or trout, same concept.

But you aren't trespassing to catch them.

A flood washes trout from a private water to a public water.

It happens. Its a risk folks stocking trout into a private stream take and are aware of.

What people want is the ability it seems to wade up streams and fish where ever they want to without permission.

Flyguyflies

No one has mentioned being upset if privately stocked fish travel across property lines to public waters, but there have been several arguments posed asking why public fishermen can't cross private property lines to fish for "state stocked" fish that migrated to private waters....same concept I illustrated with "state owned deer" and your private hunting property.

basshappy

BANNED
What people want is the ability it seems to wade up streams and fish where ever they want to without permission.

Incorrect (for my boy and I). We want to float in our kayaks in streams and rivers that are floatable and fish as we float. Real simple. Don't need to step on land - shore or stream bed. A section that has a felled tree across blocking floating we Portage up and over the tree staying off banks.

basshappy

BANNED
No one has mentioned being upset if privately stocked fish travel across property lines to public waters, but there have been several arguments posed asking why public fishermen can't cross private property lines to fish for "state stocked" fish that migrated to private waters....same concept I illustrated with "state owned deer" and your private hunting property.

Not quite the same. That flowing water is not privately owned. The stationary land is. Property owner may own the stream bed or river bed under the water, but cannot own the water moving through their property boundaries. Real simple. Huge difference.

lampern

Pictures of Fightingtown Creek show a creek too shallow in many spots to float

Typical of many small mountain freestone streams

Flyguyflies

Not quite the same. That flowing water is not privately owned. The stationary land is. Property owner may own the stream bed or river bed under the water, but cannot own the water moving through their property boundaries. Real simple. Huge difference.
Wrong again…if the stream is not navigable, the owner certainly can restrict access. You can’t access the creek behind my house because I own it. Same with Fightingtown. I don’t care of you like it, that’s just the way it is. You can disagree all you want, and you can also go to jail for trying. Really don’t know why you want to keep arguing that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wrong again…if the stream is not navigable, the owner certainly can restrict access. You can’t access the creek behind my house because I own it. Same with Fightingtown. I don’t care of you like it, that’s just the way it is. You can disagree all you want, and you can also go to jail for trying. Really don’t know why you want to keep arguing that.
Here in NC, You can close access to non-navigable streams if you own both sides, but not if you own only one side. I don't know if it's different in GA, might be.