WalMart and Clark Howard

ronfritz

I never post.....mostly its a time thing and because 99% of 2010 photos are of our granddaughters :). It's been ages since I took off in search of good critter or scenery shots. But, I do enjoy checking out all your shots. Mike and Smokey....I remember when you guys were just getting started...you are aces now! There are plenty of others folks worth mentioning but I know that you two bring a ton of passion and excitement to this forum.

Today I added a few more to my collection of granddaughter shots. We took both granddaughters up to the local WalMart where Clark Howard was broadcasting during a Toys For Tots drive and came home with these.

I took the one year old while mom and grandma were off in the very crowded toy department. Fortunately, the sporting goods department was nearly empty. The little one latched onto a small tackle box and then did laps around the bullet and fishing lure aisle for about 20 minutes. I see .45ACP is still a little hard to come by. The last shot is her with the "purse" she found amongst the tackle boxes.

The exif info is included for those who'd like to look at it but they were all taken with a D300 and Nikkor 85mm f1.4G. The one of Clark Howard is wide open. The others were at slightly smaller apertures.

The light in WalMart is very nice! I wish they had some trees set up inside so I could have done a Christmas card shot.

Attachments

• _DSC4827.jpg
    _DSC4827.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 304
  • _DSC4837.jpg
    _DSC4837.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 299
  • _DSC4850.jpg
    _DSC4850.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 297
  • _DSC4853.jpg
    _DSC4853.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 295

Crickett

Little Lady
:clap:I love the shot of your Granddaughter w/ the tackle box! That is too cute!

I do have a question I hope you can answer. What does that guy have taped over his pocket bouncer?

rip18

Pretty cool! Glad to "see" you! And that picture of your granddaughter with the "purse" is simply precious!

ronfritz

What does that guy have taped over his pocket bouncer?

Crickett -

That was a diffuser on the front of his Lumiquest light modifier....at least I'm pretty sure it was a Lumiquest. Regardless, it was a piece of plastic to diffuse the light from his flash. I think it was pretty much what you see in the bottom right of the "set" here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568273-REG/LumiQuest_LQ_105_ProMax_80_20_System.html

The whole flash rig he was using was pretty interesting. I have a flash bracket which works great but that bad boy he was using really got the flash up above the camera! I think this is the bracket he was using.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...kets_QRS_2_QRS_2_Camera_Rotation_Bracket.html

On my Christmas list is a bracket that will allow me to attach my Nikon SB-600 flash to the light stand. It's $17 so it's a cheap addition that allows you to use the stand and umbrella with a standard flash. If you have a camera/flash combo that can do "wireless" triggering of the flash you might find some use for it. I've used by flash off camera before and that part works fine but I don't know what to expect when using it off camera and pointed into an umbrella. I have it on good authority though, from a guy who's probably moderating as I type, that the flash into umbrella works pretty well.

Hoss

Ron, great to see you back and posting photos and information. As everyone has said, that one of your granddaughter is absolutely precious. Thanks for sharing the shots.

Hoss

Crickett

Little Lady
Crickett -

That was a diffuser on the front of his Lumiquest light modifier....at least I'm pretty sure it was a Lumiquest. Regardless, it was a piece of plastic to diffuse the light from his flash. I think it was pretty much what you see in the bottom right of the "set" here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568273-REG/LumiQuest_LQ_105_ProMax_80_20_System.html

The whole flash rig he was using was pretty interesting. I have a flash bracket which works great but that bad boy he was using really got the flash up above the camera! I think this is the bracket he was using.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...kets_QRS_2_QRS_2_Camera_Rotation_Bracket.html

On my Christmas list is a bracket that will allow me to attach my Nikon SB-600 flash to the light stand. It's $17 so it's a cheap addition that allows you to use the stand and umbrella with a standard flash. If you have a camera/flash combo that can do "wireless" triggering of the flash you might find some use for it. I've used by flash off camera before and that part works fine but I don't know what to expect when using it off camera and pointed into an umbrella. I have it on good authority though, from a guy who's probably moderating as I type, that the flash into umbrella works pretty well.

Thanks for the info!:D I have a Lumiquest pocket bouncer but I was thinking of purchasing a soft box but if I can modify my bouncer to get the same effect well I think I'd much rather do that. I did notice his whole flash set up & was thinking "That is awesome!":cool:

Smokey

I never post.....mostly its a time thing and because 99% of 2010 photos are of our granddaughters :). It's been ages since I took off in search of good critter or scenery shots. But, I do enjoy checking out all your shots. Mike and Smokey....I remember when you guys were just getting started...you are aces now! There are plenty of others folks worth mentioning but I know that you two bring a ton of passion and excitement to this forum.Today I added a few more to my collection of granddaughter shots. We took both granddaughters up to the local WalMart where Clark Howard was broadcasting during a Toys For Tots drive and came home with these.

I took the one year old while mom and grandma were off in the very crowded toy department. Fortunately, the sporting goods department was nearly empty. The little one latched onto a small tackle box and then did laps around the bullet and fishing lure aisle for about 20 minutes. I see .45ACP is still a little hard to come by. The last shot is her with the "purse" she found amongst the tackle boxes.

The exif info is included for those who'd like to look at it but they were all taken with a D300 and Nikkor 85mm f1.4G. The one of Clark Howard is wide open. The others were at slightly smaller apertures.

The light in WalMart is very nice! I wish they had some trees set up inside so I could have done a Christmas card shot.

Wow, thanks for the kind words Ron...........how much do I owe ya?