Water Oaks pay off again

beaulesye10

Hung a stand for dad last week over some hot water oaks. He was able to take a doe last weekend from the stand. I went back today to hunt the stand again a week after dad's kill.

I was settled by 530 with acorns raining, at 630 I caught movement to my left as two does were slipping in to feed on the tree in front of me. The lead doe turned just right at 12 steps. I picked a spot drew and shot. I saw what I thought was a perfect shot tight behind the shoulder. She ran for 5 or 6 seconds and I could hear her crashing.

I climbed down and found this:

After 110 steps on a very good blood trail through pine straw:

The shot entered at the third rib from the end and exited in the front pocket of the off shoulder. Not what I thought but very effective. I shot her exactly two steps behind where dad shot his doe last weekend. May be flipping a coin next Saturday to see who hunts there!

Martin Mamba 59lbs at my draw and 550 grain Easton traditional lead by 200 grain vpa terminator.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Flaustin1

Noticed your sig line. Ive got a Mamba too. Its not a martin though. It was made by Damon Howatt before martin bought them out. Sweet shooting bows for sure! Congrats on the doe.

beaulesye10

Noticed your sig line. Ive got a Mamba too. Its not a martin though. It was made by Damon Howatt before martin bought them out. Sweet shooting bows for sure! Congrats on the doe.

It was my first trad bow my parents bought me for Christmas over ten years ago. Took me a long time to find an arrow combo that shot great out her for me, that wasn't wood. Now a days it seems hard to miss with her.