water ?

308winchester

how long will a tank of water last without going bad ? i take a fresh gallon to camp with me but i was just curious . would hate to drink some bad in late December . :rolleyes:

Nugefan

Is it store bought water or from the tap in a jug.....

I would trust water from the store that's sealed to last until expiration date , water from home in a jug I have no idea , maybe a couple of weeks or 3 ....

dixie

I'm not sure, but I don't think water will go bad, I have some in 5 gallon containers I keep at camp, and I drink it year round.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
If it's stored in a clear or translucent container and left out in the direct sun, Algea will begin to grow in it before to long and it will turn green looking. I'm not sure whether or not it would harm you, though it might turn your teeth green... :D

QuakerBoy

depends,

store bought water? chlorinated tap water? Well water?

308winchester

well water in camper 22 gallon tank . no sun . ive heard that it would go bad after a certain time period just thought someone would know for sure .

Coastie

dixie said:
I'm not sure, but I don't think water will go bad, I have some in 5 gallon containers I keep at camp, and I drink it year round.

Ever hear of Typhus? There are a number of water bourne critters that can and will kill you deader than a hammer, don't mess with stored water from any source that is more than a couple of weeks old. Boil it or replace it or treat it, but don't trust it. Sometimes you may be lucky for an extended period of time, but it only takes once to really ruin your day.

edhall

It should be treated with 5% household chlorine bleach
DO NOT USE POOL CHLORINE it is toxic
(not the kind with all the extra laundry whiteners and other stuff in it).

Here is some redcross info.

Ed

In addition to having a bad odor, and taste, water from questionable sources may be contaminated by a variety of microorganisms, including bacteria and parasites that cause diseases such as dysentery, cholera, typhoid, and hepatitis. All water of uncertain purity should be treated before use.
To treat water, follow these steps:
Filter the water using a piece of cloth or coffee filter to remove solid particles.

Bring it to a rolling boil for about one full minute.
Let it cool at least 30 minutes. Water must be cool or the chlorine treatment described below will be useless.
Add 16 drop of liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water, or 8 drops per 2-liter bottle of water. Stir to mix. Sodium hypochlorite of the concentration of 5.25% to 6% should be the only active ingredient in the bleach. There should not be any added soap or fragrances. A major bleach manufacturer has also added Sodium Hydroxide as an active ingredient, which they state does not pose a health risk for water treatment.

Let stand 30 minutes.

If it smells of chlorine. You can use it. If it does not smell of chlorine, add 16 more drop of chlorine bleach per gallon of water (or 8 drops per 2-liter bottle of water), let stand 30 minutes, and smell it again. If it smells of chlorine, you can use it. If it does not smell of chlorine, discard it and find another source of water.

Last edited:

edhall

The important thing is to have some residue chlorine left over after the water has stood 30 minutes.

The chlorine is used up by the parasites and bacteria in the water when they are killed.

So the only way to tell if they are really dead is to have some chlorine left over, ie the smell.

Remember that Chlorine will not kill Cryptosporidium, although there has been some discusion on this recently. But this is transmitted by fecal-oral transmission by feces in the water.

So hopefully this should not be a problem for you.

Yes I have just about every water filter know to man.

My normal hunting camp is way far away from normal water sources. The cabin was built over bed rock, the only way to get water would be to blast or have one heck of a big drill (the normal sized ones won't cut it), but it is so overgrown and so long to get back that it just isn't worth it.

Glad I have a winch on the 4x4.

Ed

7Mag Hunter

Water

We have well at camp we use for showers...Always drain
our tanks when we leave camp...I mix 1 gal water with
some pool chlorine 1-2 times per year then fill up
water tank to clean....Seems to work for us...
Drinking water, I bring tap water from home, or buy some
from wally world....
If you suspect it...Pour it out....
Had some bad water once while in the Army..Even treated
it with the tabs they gave us....Bad......

308winchester

thanks guys , i' ll stay on the safe side . i usually take a couple of store bought jugs with me for drinking but for washing hands and face and the toilet the tank should be fine . i will add some bleach this weekend though . thanks agagin for all the info . Brian

QuakerBoy

tap water, which has already been chlorinated can be stored for 6 months.