West Point draw down?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you like low water then?
It just sets up some patterns that I like to fish for both striped fish and largemouth. Shad are already wanting to bunch up at that time and this will just concentrate them even more.

It is also a fantastic time to just ride and look. I've found so much structure over the years when the water gets super low. It is a great time to mark it mentally and with a waypoint for the next year.

I'll also go ahead and mention that it will be a somewhat dangerous time. That water level puts a lot of still standing timber at water level or just under. Upriver will be very dangerous if you aren't familiar. There will be tons of sandbars exposed or with inches of water.

Qazaq15

It just sets up some patterns that I like to fish for both striped fish and largemouth. Shad are already wanting to bunch up at that time and this will just concentrate them even more.

It is also a fantastic time to just ride and look. I've found so much structure over the years when the water gets super low. It is a great time to mark it mentally and with a waypoint for the next year.

I'll also go ahead and mention that it will be a somewhat dangerous time. That water level puts a lot of still standing timber at water level or just under. Upriver will be very dangerous if you aren't familiar. There will be tons of sandbars exposed or with inches of water.

That's a good point, I'll have to cruise around and look for some good bream beds. I thought maybe you were being sarcastic :LOL:.

GaMudd

I'm on Jackson and have always wanted to get out and look around at topo and structure while the water is down for winter drawdowns. They only do it about every five years now. Unfortunately, once the water is down, it is too low to get out of the boathouse.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Its always been 7 feet from summer to winter. I've seen it go lower due to drought, but normal winter pool is 628'.
The lowest it got in recent times was in December of 2007. It hit 621. That late summer set the low water mark up river also. Think it bottomed out around 5ft on the gauge. I remember walking dry areas that are normally over your head.

Procraft3

The lowest it got in recent times was in December of 2007. It hit 621. That late summer set the low water mark up river also. Think it bottomed out around 5ft on the gauge. I remember walking dry areas that are normally over your head.
I don’t remember the year but I do remember the lake going down to where Georgia and one side of Yellow Jacket were the only places that you could put a boat in at. Those are the times you get any kind of boat you can and take pictures.

Qazaq15

I would provide pictures but we didn’t have cell phones back then. Only pagers LOL.
LOL, we all thought we were so cool with our pagers. I looked up the original management plan for WPL, and it was 625. Then another’s article said they changed it in 1989, but they didn’t say why.

campboy

I love it when they drop the water on Weiss. Same deal as you mentioned regarding shad and fishing patterns

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I love it when they drop the water on Weiss. Same deal as you mentioned regarding shad and fishing patterns
After years fish'n the low / winter water there in "little rascal's" duck boat... I'll let you know next year how much I like it in my "new to me" old beater v-hull. I know where / how to find you "when" I get stuck. :rofl: