What’d I miss?

sportsman94

A little backstory. This deer was shot at about 15 yards and I was 20 feet up the tree. She was shot On 11/1/2020 out of this same plot. She was shot with a 1 1/4 inch cut broadhead on a 600 grain total arrow weight arrow out of a 63 pound compound. When I shot, I knew the shot was a little high and the arrow got stuck in the far shoulder after passing through the skin/shoulder blade so I knew she was quartering away slightly. I had full confidence this was a high double lung shot and that the deer would be less than 100 yards away. I was wrong and other than a 10 yard strip of good blood had almost no blood to follow. I walked circle after circle until I got to the two neighboring property lines. I had no blood and no way to know where she went so I gave up expecting to see buzzards a couple days later. I never found the front portion of my arrow, only the back 6 inches. Now that she has showed back up, I see that my shot was pretty well exactly where I thought it was. A little high for sure, but I would have still expected a dead deer. I thought I clipped the top of one lung and hit the upper middle section of the far lung. I was wrong!

Attachments

• 18F7D4B7-64C3-42DB-834A-0DB4E3EAADB9.jpeg
    18F7D4B7-64C3-42DB-834A-0DB4E3EAADB9.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 255D5499-3735-48FD-B094-34B39CE52698.jpeg
    255D5499-3735-48FD-B094-34B39CE52698.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 1016C070-0B9F-47BC-AF37-FAFB0EBAD161.jpeg
    1016C070-0B9F-47BC-AF37-FAFB0EBAD161.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 162

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Are you for sure thats her? This one looks all healed up... healthy and fine.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
She sure looks good , I shot the biggest buck of my life several years ago with a crossbow about in the same spot . I can still see my arrow sticking out as he ran off . He never showed back up . That doe sure is brave as many of her sisters you have put an arrow through this season ?

sportsman94

Are you for sure thats her? This one looks all healed up... healthy and fine.
I can’t be 100%. But it’s the same plot and the doe I shot just had a single with her when most of the others have twins. These two stopped showing up on camera after I shot and these are the first pictures I’ve gotten of them again since then. With the scars in the exact place I believe I shot I am pretty confident it’s the same deer.

sportsman94

She sure looks good , I shot the biggest buck of my life several years ago with a crossbow about in the same spot . I can still see my arrow sticking out as he ran off . He never showed back up . That doe sure is brave as many of her sisters you have put an arrow through this season ?

I might be looking for redemption on this one if she keeps coming out during daylight! I need a couple more before it’s all said and done!

bany

Everything that matters if that’s the same deer. There is a limper buck around that appears to have a similar “ spot” . Not sure if some shot it or it hurt it’s self.
I killed a nice buck with 3” of an arrow straight inside its back to the side of the spine. Never would have known. Watched a dispatch on a brain dead deer, the pistol shot was below the heart and really didn’t do any damage. I’ll leave the gory part out.

Sixes

I got this buck on camera several times last year at the end of the season. You can see the wound in close to the same location.

He healed up and lived fine until I killed him this year in mid September. Scar was still visible.

janbuck1_jpeg.jpg

lildorris00

A little backstory. This deer was shot at about 15 yards and I was 20 feet up the tree. She was shot On 11/1/2020 out of this same plot. She was shot with a 1 1/4 inch cut broadhead on a 600 grain total arrow weight arrow out of a 63 pound compound. When I shot, I knew the shot was a little high and the arrow got stuck in the far shoulder after passing through the skin/shoulder blade so I knew she was quartering away slightly. I had full confidence this was a high double lung shot and that the deer would be less than 100 yards away. I was wrong and other than a 10 yard strip of good blood had almost no blood to follow. I walked circle after circle until I got to the two neighboring property lines. I had no blood and no way to know where she went so I gave up expecting to see buzzards a couple days later. I never found the front portion of my arrow, only the back 6 inches. Now that she has showed back up, I see that my shot was pretty well exactly where I thought it was. A little high for sure, but I would have still expected a dead deer. I thought I clipped the top of one lung and hit the upper middle section of the far lung. I was wrong!
I just posted a similar thread about a buck my neighbor shot. Good trail of blood for about 20-30 yards the. Dried up quickly and searched a 40 acre block of woods before we ran out of room with zero sign. Maybe he hit higher than he thinks too.