What did you do mountain related today part II

Woodshound

Knocked out 4.8 on this other wma. Heard one early - gobbled at a barred owl call before sunrise - couldnt find it. Crows were helping me out but no responses to them.

Heard shots further north and closer to the road. On my way out, a good sized tom walking uphill emerged from understory about 30' away - he wasn't supposed to do that, he was supposed to come downhill, someone needs to tell these birds whats what - but he saw me and went full road runner. Didn't have time to point my weapon. Headed back that way in the next week, going to try another shot at him.

Next year may set up a coffee and hot sandwich cart on the WMA road.

splatek

UAEC
Went looking for turkeys in the hills, not that i have any business doing that. My calling sounds like a drowned cat choking on something. I was able to rummage up one measly gobble, but then... well I didn't know what to do. Never saw the bird. I'm not sure turkey hunting is for me.

I did happen upon this nice pair of matched 8 sheds. Some will say "looks like he'll be a good one next season season." That makes me laugh, because if I saw him last season he'd have eaten and arrow or lead. I don't discriminate. I think he would measure out to be about 100-110" for people that care about that sort of thing, LOL.

image_67547905.JPG

image_67222017.JPG

ddd-shooter

Went looking for turkeys in the hills, not that i have any business doing that. My calling sounds like a drowned cat choking on something. I was able to rummage up one measly gobble, but then... well I didn't know what to do. Never saw the bird. I'm not sure turkey hunting is for me.

I did happen upon this nice pair of matched 8 sheds. Some will say "looks like he'll be a good one next season season." That makes me laugh, because if I saw him last season he'd have eaten and arrow or lead. I don't discriminate. I think he would measure out to be about 100-110" for people that care about that sort of thing, LOL.

View attachment 1300053

View attachment 1300054
I’d definitely let him tote an arrow at that size also!!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Walked my hind end off going up and over a ridge try kill a turkey only to have the hunt spoiled by a couple K9’s.
Then decided to take an old road back around the ridge to avoid having to cross the deep hollow and that added 1.4 miles to my trip back to camp. That doesn’t sound like a lot but to me it was self inflicted misery :bounce:
I’m Green as a gourd when it comes to mountain hunting. Some of These Kentucky ridges ain’t no joke!