What r u shooting for Gobblers?

GTBHUNTIN

870 pump my dad bought me for christmas one year, had a friend do a paint job on it for me, killed every turkey I have killed with it.

Trizey

Here's mine. Pure Gold Choke, Nitro 4x5x7's
1stBird-2007TrophyRidge009.jpg

Forkhorn

How'd you put that together? Pics?

Its amazing what you can do with epoxy and one of those new lazer levels. I used the XS front band sight that wraps around the barrel, and used a vise to clamp down the barrel and lined up the rear sight with the lazer level. Scuffed the barrel and the bottom of the rear sight ramp and epoxied that thing right to the top of the barrel. I know its crude but it puts a load in the right spot. I found some interesting accessories for the single shot and after I put my next one together Ill definitely share some pics!

Doc_Holliday23

Remington 11-87 Special Purpose. 21" barrel. Synthetic, Mossy oak camo. Remington Super Full choke tube. 3" Federal Premium Mag-Shok #5's.

I've taken a few years off from turkey hunting, but I'm gonna try to give my old 11-87 a good workout this spring.

Remington 870 Express Supermagnum 12 ga with 28" barrel. I usually wrap it with camo tape for turkey season. I call it the 'Thunderstick'

870_expsm[2].jpg

hawglips

Banned
My primary shooting iron will be a Mossberg 500A, with a Carlson 670, and Nitros straight 7s (low brass, cause the high brass don't eject...).

But I may trade in the Nitros 7s for a more deadly load of much higher density tungsten #9x7s and a Wrights 680, if things work out according to my hand-loading plans.

And as backup (or maybe as primary, depending on how the mood swings) I've got the 20 gauge 870 with a Pure Gold 555 and Nitros #7s.

I do all this at the risk of making it too easy.:smash:

Gadget

1964 Harington & Richardson model 490 single shot 20ga with a fixed modified barrel, just a front bead with no rib. I refinished the stock & re-blued the barrel several years back. Shooting 2 3/4 inch shells with 7/8 oz of #8's; Dead is Dead, anything else is overkill....... ohh and too easy.:bounce:

Attachments

• DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,074
Last edited:

hawglips

Banned
Nice setup!

Very sporting of you to give the birds a fighting chance. After what you did to them last year, they could use the odds.

fountain

i am going to try my encore this year. i think i will get a 20 ga for it and with the help from some of you guys find the right choke/shell combo.

backup-- mooseberg 12 3.5" ( regular gun) mooseberg 12 3.5" 24" barrel turkey gun ( wife's)

primary weapon--pse vengeance

SHMELTON

Banned
nef 10ga single shot, 22inch barrell, with a bsa red dot. Shooting remington heavyshot #6 3-1/2" shells.

Darkhorse

I've got an 11-87 with the reduced treebark design like Gamearrow showed. I've had it awhile. Been using a simmons turkey scope, going to try an aimpoint this year.

Also use a .40 caliber flintlock on occasion. Especially when I feel sorry for the turkey or don't really feel like cleaning a bird.

trkyhntr70

Heres a new one Im gonna try this year ; H&R Auto 5 22"bbl. Going to find a Hevi-Shot load that works with it.
Also have an 870 NWTF Laminate on the way, Probally try an Indian Creek Choke in it.

Attachments

• h R aUTO.jpg
    h R aUTO.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 868

Gadget

1964 Harington & Richardson model 490 single shot 20ga with a fixed modified barrel, just a front bead with no rib. I refinished the stock & re-blued the barrel several years back. Shooting 2 3/4 inch shells with 7/8 oz of #8's; Dead is Dead, anything else is overkill....... ohh and too easy.:bounce:

Actually I don't Turkey hunt with this gun, I did once though, until I found out that the barrel was too thin for a turkey load, could split.

The SBE II w/ Docter reflex is my mainstay, Browning BPS NWTF w/ Docter for backup.

If I get another, It'd be either a Browning Cynergy Limited edition turkey special O/U or a Benelli M2 20ga.

Attachments

• DSC00582.JPG
    DSC00582.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 984
Last edited:

trkyhntr70

Like that NWTF BPS there Gadget. That will be my next turkey gun. What are you shooting in it?

01Foreman400

Staff member
Actually I don't Turkey hunt with this gun, I did once though, until I found out that the barrel was too thin for a turkey load, could split.

The SBE II w/ Docter reflex is my mainstay, Browning BPS NWTF w/ Docter also for backup.

If I get another, It'd be either a Browning Cynergy Limited edition turkey special O/U or a Benelli M2 20ga.

Rick you need to give the turkeys a chance. Get that bow out man.

Darrell

01Foreman400

Staff member
Benelli SBE 24" barrel, Rhino choke, 3.5" Nitro 4x5x7 shells.

Darrell

Last edited:

TROY70

Browning Gold, 3.5" #5's, Nikon Scope with diamond shaped crosshair--will naturally born lay the smack down--when I can get them--4,5,7.5 Nitro's