What to do if you find a Coyote Den

BuckHunter 34

No disrespect was intended. Had Nic said "coyote pups look and remind me too much of dog pups for me to kill them" would have been okay. Those of us that are dog lovers can understand that. But coyotes, like feral cats in the U.S., have moved into the "pest" category. It is long since time that we realized that the cuddly immature forms of these animals grow up and terrorize environments that they were never supposed to exist in. Save a feral kitten, kill a song bird. To save coyote pups means that you *are* indirectly contributing to the deaths of other animals... animals that DO belong in Georgia's ecosystems. To equate killing of coyote pups with "killing babies" is just plain misguided.

x2 very well stated

Killdee

Interesting conversation all, most likely by the time you go back the den will be moved if you did much to leave your scent nearby. I dont believe I have ever seen anything close to a yote pup, they have all been purdy much grown.

theroaddog

I think most biologist will agree that the quail decline is being caused by a many different factors including predators but over predation is not very high on the list.
loss of habitat/ changes in agricultural practices are the greatest concern. Most fields do not have overgrown brushy fence rows any more,large cooperate farms plant huge fields of a single crop instead of a patchwork of crops divided by fence rows, people are afraid to use prescribed burns due to the possibility of lawsuits, loss of farm land to pine plantations that often leave little room for herbaceous growth (although pines can be managed for excellent quail habitat). loss of habitat to development.
I know this is kind of off topic but a few people keep bringing quail up. That is not to say that unchecked predation is helping the birds but you have to see the big picture.

gin house

nic, i see things the same as you. anybody with a pulse should have a problem killing a baby animal. to me i couldnt even consider killing a doe with fawn but know of people who will, to each their own but its a waste of time and would make me feel like crap to do so. whats the challenge????? some people are different, i think to get a hunting licence you should have to do more than pay money, you should have to show your competent enough to use them.... lol.... na, but its a thought. whatever floats your boat, you have to sleep with it, not me. nic, i respect your opinions, theres just some that all they know is pullin a trigger at every opportunityk,,, thats the kind i dont like huntin withl.

Alan in GA

I've not read all the posts but....

what I've always wanted to do is put up a trail camera to see just what the yotes do carry to the den. I've seen the pictures of them with wadded up fawns in their jaws entering the dens.
I'd like to see what the yotes are doing at MY hunting area....then I'd take them out if I could....kill them.

Cabinetman

This may be a stupid question but

What's a coyote den look like??? I have several dug out holes in the ground on my lease and was wondering what made them.

Bravo2020

More food for thought, ever wonder why the father north you go, the deer get bigger ??? I know why, Its in the genetics of the deer. The bigger deer come from more predators, they have coyotes, wolves, black bear, brown bear, grizzly bear, and mountain lion. This high level of predators has weened out the weak and small. So go ahead and kill off all the deer predators we have here. You will actually be helping harm your deer by over population.
In doing this the larger deer will die first from lack of food. Do the math or just keep making your deer smaller. I would suggest not trying to eliminate the yote, just keep them in check around urban areas. I hunt them and shoot them all the time, but I also know what they can do for me.

So your telling me that the deer in Iowa are on average 50-70lbs plus heavier because they have bigger predators? What about the miles and miles of corn and soybean fields? What about the colder climate? BTW I think we have a much higher bear population here. And our deer are still smaller.

shoot the adults, take the little fellas home and feed them if they grow up to be big coyotes, then take them out turn loose and blast away. see no guilty conscience.

MisterClean

They can eat all the wild critters they manage to catch, but I have a feeling they catch and eat our other animal friends; Fido and Garfield. I can't stand for that!

thurston1979

Im going to go with the TEN COMMANDMENTS of the Native Americans. "Treat the earth and all that dwell within it with respect! In other words one day when man has wiped out all food supply, Coyotes might be the only thing left, oh wait nevermind none of them left either. I know i cant change peoples way of thinking, but why are some people just hung up on KILL EM, KILL EM ALL!!!!

deerhunter09

So your telling me that the deer in Iowa are on average 50-70lbs plus heavier because they have bigger predators? What about the miles and miles of corn and soybean fields? What about the colder climate? BTW I think we have a much higher bear population here. And our deer are still smaller.

Ever stop to consider that it might be because there are many more human hunters in the woods here in the south?
Having spent many years in the midwest, I could hunt all day and never see another hunter.
There are certainly more Mountain Lions there also.
Just food for thought.

deerhunter09

Im going to go with the TEN COMMANDMENTS of the Native Americans. "Treat the earth and all that dwell within it with respect! In other words one day when man has wiped out all food supply, Coyotes might be the only thing left, oh wait nevermind none of them left either. I know i cant change peoples way of thinking, but why are some people just hung up on KILL EM, KILL EM ALL!!!!

AS a person with a Native American heritage, I agree with you.

Gunner20110

objectivley speaking what difference does it make what age you kill them.....they are varmits and are detrimental to deer and small game. granted its not as sporty as havin one come to your predator call and wackin him from a 100yds away......in my opinion the only difference between killin one that hunts and killin one that gets fed is the game they hunt and kill while they are living.....so dead is dead be it 8weeks or 4yrs....only with the 8week old youre ahead a few more rabbits and deer fawns......in case you cant tell i really dont like coyotes

i agree completley

Quickbeam

More food for thought, ever wonder why the father north you go, the deer get bigger ??? I know why, Its in the genetics of the deer. The bigger deer come from more predators, they have coyotes, wolves, black bear, brown bear, grizzly bear, and mountain lion. This high level of predators has weened out the weak and small. So go ahead and kill off all the deer predators we have here. You will actually be helping harm your deer by over population.
In doing this the larger deer will die first from lack of food. Do the math or just keep making your deer smaller. I would suggest not trying to eliminate the yote, just keep them in check around urban areas. I hunt them and shoot them all the time, but I also know what they can do for me.

hmmm... I tend to think that deer are larger in the north because the larger body has a smaller surface area to volume ratio which is more effecient at maintaining the body heat necessary to survive the colder winters. But's that's just me.... and some other folks.

Wesbird2

Texas has lots of Coyotes and even more deer
Coyotes are not the problem.
Man is look at all the habitat that has been bulldozed down
More deer are killed by car's then coyotes who drives the cars
never seen a coyote drive
blame the blamer

Steve Thompson

Kill'em - If you found a rats nest in your pantry, what do you do with the babies? Go ahead, say it, you know what, you'll sling'em out the back door..