What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

Minner

I was walking along a creek years ago looking for a place to duck hunt. After a while I had to walk along the edge of a big bluff for a bit before I got back to the creek's edge again. I walked on a ways further and on the way back I decided to see if could get at the base of the bluff as there wasn't a way I could see going in. When I got to the face of the bluff I eventually found a small cave. Went inside and on the back wall of the cave found where someone had chiseled 176x and not far from there on the was a year from the middle 1800's. I had to backtrack as there was no way to get back to my vehicle so I've always figured the small cave had gone mostly undiscovered. You can't see if from across the creek or anywhere else your right in front of it. I always that was kind of neat.

My Dad and I were still hunting during muzzleloader season a while back on some national forest land we'd never hunted. I found a deflated mylar balloon laying on the ground which I've found numerous times in the past. I walked over to it and nudge it with my boot and some rock song starting playing inside it. Startled me good and Dad got a big laugh out of my reaction.

TJay

My hat. I lost a brown Carhartt knit cap one year while dragging a deer out. A year and a half later I found the hat. It had some sort of very fine roots or plant growing through it but once I got it home and cleaned up you couldn't tell it had been in the elements for a year and a half. I still wear it. I guess that's synthetic materials for ya.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Found a police car on our property in Jones County in the bushes one morning. Thought it was one of our guys that is LE doing something there. About 30 minutes later it looked like "Smoky and the Bandit". State Patrol, several counties, DNR, all coming over the hayfield next to our camp. And a helicopter was buzzing around everywhere. Turns out an officer was transporting some prisoners the night before and one escaped with the car and the officers weapon. They brought in dogs and were all around most of the day. Was going to spend the night down there and everyone else was going home but decided that with an armed fugative on the loose right there I would just go on home like everyone else.
Turns out the guy stole a nearby truck and was recaptured in Atlanta the next day trying to sell the officers gun.
Very, very interesting weekend.
That Dnr Truck was probably me. Good times!

Gerrik

There’s a tree full of old sneakers, on a WMA near ATL. Still weirds me out every time I see it.

GeorgiaGlockMan

My hat. I lost a brown Carhartt knit cap one year while dragging a deer out. A year and a half later I found the hat. It had some sort of very fine roots or plant growing through it but once I got it home and cleaned up you couldn't tell it had been in the elements for a year and a half. I still wear it. I guess that's synthetic materials for ya.
Lol. I lost a single mechanix brand glove and apparently I plowed it under one year doing food plots.

Found it the next season, re-united it and wore that pair of gloves for a few months after.
Being in the dirt for a year did a number on the synthetics. It basically dissolved on my hand in use.

Gerrik

That's the symbol in LA, CA for "we sell drugs here". When I found that out (told by a local), it was an eye opener.

Drugs for sale on most street corners there.
Yeah, but these aren’t hanging in a tree. They are STUFFED IN A HOLLOW. And there are upwards of 10 pairs. If you don’t know where it’s at, you’ll never find it. It’s creepy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Yapper

Back when I was a teenage kid and there was still plenty of "unregulated" public land, we'd wander the woods all over Georgia, hunting and mostly just "prowling" and collecting ginseng to sell to supply houses up north.
One thing you learned at an early age back then....if you're walking up the edge of a creek bank and suddenly some guy up ahead of you appears out from nowhere in the trees and bushes, and he says....."Don't think you boys need to be wandering up this way. Best for you to go on back the other way".
YOU BETTER turn around and go on back the other way.
That meant there was a bootleg whiskey still up there along that creek somewhere and there were probably 2-3 other guys hidden in the bushes with rifles pointed right at you.
No need to talk, no need to say anything other than "yessir...we're going" and then get on out of that area and forget it ever existed.
Bootleg whiskey was the big deal back in the fifties...now I suppose it's drugs, which is probably easier to move and more profitable.
That's been a long, long, time ago.

bighonkinjeep

Found a green cardboard box that turned out to be a weather balloon radiosonde with a return address. It was in pretty pitiful shape so no telling how long it had been there. At first I didn't know what it was but thanks to the internet I now know.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Found 30 dollars in the middle of a mayhaw swamp. That I had lost the week before. When I missed the money, had no idea where I could have lost it. Just happened to go deer hunting in that swamp, and spotted it. Believe the money came out of my pocket when pulling the cellphone out.
found a photo of the money, it was wet

Attachments

• bucks .jpg
    bucks .jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Buckstop

Was with a couple buddies looking for a spot to dig for artifacts near a Savannah River public boat landing in SC. We walked back into woods about 100 yrds and up on a high mound found an indention in the ground about a foot deep by 6 feet long and 3 feet wide. Had been there awhile and had pine needle and leaf debris in it. Was a raised area beside it like not the all dirt had been put back. No sign of any blow down or rotted out stump close by. We dug down a few feet and the dirt seemed a little different or less packed but didn't hit anything. Was a lot of years ago but I still wonder about it.

JonathanG2013

Not a weird find really but interesting to me. My dad used to tell me about hunting with his dad and uncles when he was a kid and he described the shotgun shells branded "New Club" as yellow and he noted that if they let him shoot a rabbit he had to step to one side to see if he had hit it.

About 15 years after he passed I purchased a part of his father's farm and while hunting found a shotgun shell brass that cleaned up to show that it was a New Club. Internet research indeed showed it to have been yellow and a black powder load produced from 1892 to 1910. The family must have hoarded some because Dad was born in 1912 and shot up some.

I have found another since and wonder whether the old man is pointing them out for me. My eyes are nearly shot now and I never found one in all the years of plundering around the farm in my youth. Lots of stone hunting artifacts but no New Clubs until I was over 60.

I have found a few new club shells metal detecting the woods in my neighborhood in Woodstock.

Mattval

IMG_20210403_101914420_HDR.jpg

Latest posts