Where did all my deer go?

Mike 65

Yep. I don’t even use corn. And really don’t hunt food plots. My plots are for when the acorns are GON in December until things green back up. I hunt the woods. It’s like that doesn’t even occur to some folks to hunt where the deer are.
I hunt the same way. My granddaughter ask me if we could put out some corn. I told her that she must first learn to hunt. Find sign, read that sign, learn what it means and from that figure out what the deer are doing. Then you set up and hunt. After that if she still wants to put out corn then she could by it.
All that said I don’t find fault in anyone hunting over corn.
Long as it’s legal,Just Hunt!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I hunt the same way. My granddaughter ask me if we could put out some corn. I told her that she must first learn to hunt. Find sign, read that sign, learn what it means and from that figure out what the deer are doing. Then you set up and hunt. After that if she still wants to put out corn then she could by it.
All that said I don’t find fault in anyone hunting over corn.
Lond as it’s legal,Just Hunt!
Yeah I don’t care what other people do either. It’s just weird to me that so many people don’t seem to know how to hunt any other way. Baiting hasn’t been legal that long.

Mike 65

Yeah I don’t care what other people do either. It’s just weird to me that so many people don’t seem to know how to hunt any other way. Baiting hasn’t been legal that long.
I suspect a lot of people were never taught.
To me there’s nothing like the feeling of killing a specific buck that you been hunting. Not baiting, Hunting.
On the other hand I know some real good hunters who simply like to hunt over corn. To each his own.
Just have fun!!!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I suspect a lot of people were never taught.
To me there’s nothing like the feeling of killing a specific buck that you been hunting. Not baiting, Hunting.
On the other hand I know some real good hunters who simply like to hunt over corn. To each his own.
Just have fun!!!
I agree. It how did it happen so fast. How did we go to it being so many hunters don’t know how to hunt any other way in such a short space of time?

Mike 65

I agree. It how did it happen so fast. How did we go to it being so many hunters don’t know how to hunt any other way in such a short space of time?
It did happen fast. We now live in an “instant society” so to speak. Everything can be done faster with less effort. Hunting has and is trending this way. Personally I enjoy all the work and effort it takes to hunt old school. I love to put miles on my feet scouting. I walk the woods year round. And I believe there are a lot on here that do too. The older I get the harder it gets but it’s a good kinda harder!:)

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Yep. I don’t even use corn. And really don’t hunt food plots. My plots are for when the acorns are GON in December until things green back up. I hunt the woods. It’s like that doesn’t even occur to some folks to hunt where the deer are.
True sportsman, I wouldn’t if everyone else wasn’t

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Because it's like having a McDonalds drive through in the woods on every hill top. Makes hunting hard for a lot of folks.

Son and I did some life talk on a long hike yesterday. This came up several times as we skated down the hills.

basshappy

BANNED

Um, I think that is easy, really. Generally people are more lazy today than 5 years back, and double that from 10 years back, and so on. Look around. 5 years back only kids sat staring at cell phone. Now you have adults staring at screen in public as much as kids. Shooting an animal over bait take very little effort, nearly no homework, and is much easier than hunting an animal in the wild. There are new hunters who are putting the work in and hunting in the wild, but I would wager a bet for every one new hunter doing their homework, there are hundreds who are not, and opt to shoot over bait. For whatever the reason(s). Think of time saved if you condition a wild animal to come and eat regularly, and then you just walk in and pop one. Could take literally minutes. Versus hours to hunt the wild. This state permits the hunter to choose which method they want to use.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Deer are hammering the acrons in Bama right now.
I use corn in conjunction with trail cams to get a idea of whats in area.

Then hunt the creek bottoms, acorns and trails to and from these areas.

Except for pigs...then I pile the corn up for them varmints.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Um, I think that is easy, really. Generally people are more lazy today than 5 years back, and double that from 10 years back, and so on. Look around. 5 years back only kids sat staring at cell phone. Now you have adults staring at screen in public as much as kids. Shooting an animal over bait take very little effort, nearly no homework, and is much easier than hunting an animal in the wild. There are new hunters who are putting the work in and hunting in the wild, but I would wager a bet for every one new hunter doing their homework, there are hundreds who are not, and opt to shoot over bait. For whatever the reason(s). Think of time saved if you condition a wild animal to come and eat regularly, and then you just walk in and pop one. Could take literally minutes. Versus hours to hunt the wild. This state permits the hunter to choose which method they want to use.
The hours etc are part of what I love and sometimes huntin ain’t all about the kill. Everybody wang Chung tonight and whatnot.1698105696747.gif

rugerfan

Since I hunt public land and using corn is still illegal on the WMA's and national forests, I do ok without corn, and to me part of hunting is learning what the deer sign tells you. Now I get it, not all properties that people hunt have adequate food sources, but I don't believe that this the way to teach hunting to younger hunters, but to each their own, and you do as you wish, and leave me to do as I wish.

I grew up learning the deer sign, when I joined a hunting club with food plots it made me lazy, when I gave up the hunting clubs, I went back to finding sign and seeing deer on public land.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Your deer? So if one of “your deer” runs out in the road and gets hit by a car, your responsible for the damages to that car?

Asking for a friend

Liberty

I think some of the baiting/ lack of time also accompanies being busier in general. I hunt where I live and have plenty of time to look at the woods with my eyeballs. With people living in cities 2 hours away from their spots, if they work as much as I do they would be lucky to have time to get the feeders up, the blinds built, and hunt a few times a year.