Where Do They Go?

I am now 77 years old and have successfully hunted deer in many states over a lot of years.
New club composed of 14 hunters, on 1300 acres, all paper company land near Fargo, Ga. (South Ga.) There were existing blinds on the place, but had not been hunted for 5 years. (Should this have told me something?) My part of the lease fee was $900, which included rights to put my trailer on the property from Sept. through Jan.
My son and I put out 4 trail cams and only later moved one because of a light showing of deer and pigs coming to eat corn bait, cast down by auto feeders. Early on the night time visits by deer to eat corn was not heavy but in the range of one to four deer coming in most nights. Two were decent 8 or 10 point bucks, seen 2 or 3 times, all at night.
We erected four ladder stands, overlooking the feeders. Viewing the photos, showed deer coming in the dark to feed on corn and an occasional daylight photo. There was a mixture of deer and pigs and sometimes both within one day.
No one scored during bow or primitive gunning season. My son and I did not actively hunt until the beginning of rifle season. During the first week of Nov. my son took a 4 point buck and three others killed doe. Little did we know, those 4 deer would be all that would be brought in, up to this date, Dec.4, 2019.
Immediately following what had been a light "Rut" in early Nov., deer stopped showing on the trail cams and corn was eaten only by pigs. During the 2nd and 3rd week of Nov. 4 or 5 members took a week off and hunted. No one saw deer and the cams no longer showed anything other than an occasional antlerless deer at night. All 14 members hunted, most of them on weekends only.
Where did the deer go?
There have been a number of theories put forth: (1) A number of members have regularly heard shots late at night. Are there poachers killing off deer, using lights? (2) We all see pig hunters park their trucks on the edges of our lease and turn dogs loose to catch pigs to sell to preserves. Are dogs, not recognizing our lease, pushing deer into the thickest, swampiest areas on our lease? (3) Poor feed on the land that is only producing planted pines simply too poor to hold a decent deer herd?
No one has signed on for next year. Some of us have banded together and are looking for greener pastures to lease next year.
What do you think?

henrydaviss

I think it's a combination of things. I had a hunting club like that once here in North Georgia. It was about 3 hundred acres and beautiful but found very little tracks and only saw 2 deer on it all season. Saw no trails. it was odd.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Planted pines hold deer they just won’t get up and when they do they hold tight to the edges.

I would try planting food plots to draw the deer onto the property or out of the planted pines.
Next thing I would do is slaughter as many pigs/hogs as possible.

Also if the pig hunters are running dogs on your land without permission call the Game Warden.
If you are hearing shots at night call the Game Warden.

The success on a lease varies from year to year so don’t get discouraged and keep trying that much land is hard to find these days.

Sounds like you got a decent place just needs to be managed and some problems need to be addressed.

Good Luck!

snooker1

I lease 360 acres in middle Georgia, (first year lease) It had about 60 total acres of peanut fields (4 different fields). All season I have seen one doe in the peanut fields, even when they were turned and left for two weeks no deer. I walked all the fields and only seen a couple of tracks. I have lots of photos of deer in the woods surrounding the fields up until the end of September then very few deer on camera. My lease is surrounded buy other woods but I have not seen any other hunters or heard any shots. I only hunt this lease ever couple of weeks for a few days so it is not pressure.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
On my lease in Baldwin County get your buck by Thanksgiving or you have 99.99% of eating buck tag soup.
That’s the way it is in Heard as well don’t get him by December 1 you be eating tag soup.

rugerfan

They go where people don't want to go and they stay there. In my honest opinion all the activities you talked about in your post are probably a good reason you are not seeing deer. The pig hunters and the dogs are what stick in my mind the most, the shots at night might also be pig hunters, but that is still pressure. So in that case yes I would say they are in the swamps, on adjoining properties or properties that are close by that may offer better cover, better food sources, water and less pressure.

My thoughts.

You and the other members need to do your best to eradicate the hogs, shoot them on sight. Then the pig hunters may go elsewhere and take the dogs with them. Hogs are smart critters too, so when you start pressuring them they may go elsewhere. Dogs are not concerned with property lines.

Abandon the feeder stands for awhile and head to the swamp/ thickest nastiest area, you will probably find your deer. Hunt the feeder stands only on occasion, and towards the end of the season if you find that other sources of food are drying up.

Look at the food sources and cover that are possibly available on surrounding properties.

You may want to start looking at other options as far as a lease, but again next year you may be overrun with deer, and less hogs.

I hope you get it worked out.

Last edited:

Stingray23

There have been a number of theories put forth: (1) A number of members have regularly heard shots late at night. Are there poachers killing off deer, using lights? (2) We all see pig hunters park their trucks on the edges of our lease and turn dogs loose to catch pigs to sell to preserves. Are dogs, not recognizing our lease, pushing deer into the thickest, swampiest areas on our lease? (3) Poor feed on the land that is only producing planted pines simply too poor to hold a decent deer herd?

Theories listed above all relevant. Pressure is your biggest problem, both from night hunters...possibly and dogs running hogs all over your lease at night...pressure, deer react to it by (A) becoming nocturnal (B) moving on to less pressured areas.

You said 14 members, how much time do these other members spend in the woods checking cameras, filling feeders, riding around moving stands, etc....Pressure

Stands on feeders...totally against this, stand at your feeder and if you can see your stand so can the deer...pressure. I like stands set up on or near trails to feed stations, better chance of catching a buck slipping in right at dark. Ideally feeders set up in the middle of your lease to draw the deer in works best IMO, centralized locations that are easy to access without putting much pressure on your deer, not all leases are set up like this but if you have it use it.

Planted pines are great deer beds, one post above suggested food plots adjacent to these planted pines, excellent idea.

But at the end of the day I think your biggest issue are your neighbors running dogs and the slob night hunters.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That’s the way it is in Heard as well don’t get him by December 1 you be eating tag soup.

Same in SE Troup. If it don't happen by Thanksgiving, give it up, turn it loose. I'm backing off until after Christmas. I'm hoping I can score on one of those late season bucks that's wore down and needs to fill his tank back up and he gets careless right before dark.

Buford_Dawg

Happens everywhere this time every year. Keep in mind, most likely 1/3 of your deer herd have been killed at this time. Add the human pressure on your club and surrounding areas and in a nutshell you deer are in the thickest areas and are most likely nocturnal. Give them 2-3 weeks of no hunting pressure and see if you dont see some deer around Xmas time.

Wayne D Davis

Get rid of the feeders and load up on pork till there're gone.... the pig hunters will move on when it dries up and deer will move back in

SuperCreech

I would be doing some serious scouting the deer are there but there might be a more desirable food source in the area .this time of year I have real good luck hunting low areas with lots of green briers and over capped acorns.some of the best hunting of the year can be enjoyed around New Years if your property has lots of green brier

Last edited:

Doe Dirt

It’s just that time of year!!! The first of December all deer migrate to underground tunnels. They have heat, TV and a copy of the hunting regs down there. They sit around and laugh at us hunters until spring when they remerge.
Seriously though listen to my advice. I know exactly what you are dealing with. Don’t even get in any of the stands that you have hunted this year. Let them go cold. Find you a privet bottom, clear cut edge or some nasty pines. Hang you a ladder or climber and try something new. Don’t position where you want the deer to be. Position where the deer are. This may only allow you to see 30yds in each direction but that’s how it is. You got to get off the beaten path and hunt not how you are use to. They have already been pressured and have you nailed down to a T. Change it up on them and you will have success. I guarantee it. Good luck!

Latest posts