Where's Bro David's thread?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
"Requires an understanding of how the scripture came to be..."

Spotlite, if you knew that, you would be on our side.
Let’s back up just a little and clarify, how scripture came to be.

The intent of my statement is how did John 3:16 come to be and what is it covering based solely on the Bible? No outside research of who wrote it and if it real is not. That’s why I said read it for the book, don’t worry about believing in it or not. “know” the story and leave yours and others feelings and thoughts out of it.

WaltL1

We are not in it for what others think is right or wrong. We are are in it because it actually works for us.
And I honestly don't have a problem with that.
The problem is Christianity doesn't keep it to "us".

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
And I honestly don't have a problem with that.
The problem is Christianity doesn't keep it to "us".
“Some” don't.

I’m one, and many that I associate and am familiar with share the same view; you can’t regulate or govern morals, ethics, values or principles. People have to choose, making it a crime means they’re not doing it for the correct reason.

WaltL1

“Some” don't.

I’m one, and many that I associate and am familiar with share the same view; you can’t regulate or govern morals, ethics, values or principles. People have to choose, making it a crime means they’re not doing it for the correct reason.
Yes in this case I was using Christianity in the sense of Christianity the "organization".
I have Christian friends who share your view.
They don't buy beer on Sunday because the feel THEY shouldn't not that everybody shouldn't.
They send their kids to Christian schools because they don't think its right for one religion to be "pushed" in public schools etc.
Some of my Christian friends are hard core hunters. They freaked out when I told them where I grew up NOONE could hunt on Sundays :)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Yea about that.............obviously my kids didn`t both agree on what my group text meant that I sent on Monday morning that said "before Friday, need to get your rides in for service, etc. - note is on my desk with instructions" Both replied "OK"

One either failed to read the entire text, the note on my desk or both because he only got an oil change and wasn't at the right shop. I had swapped labor with someone for service, tire rotation, balance, brakes and alignment. The instructions told them exactly where to go, who to see and how to pay for the materials.

So who / what was wrong and why?
All of you. If you want something done to your satisfaction, the only way to make sure that happens is if you do it yourself. Did both your children read the directions fully? If so, It is possible that the message was not crystal clear where there was no room for interpretation. Does your son who either didn't understand your directions or didnt read them all or resd them fully and was sure you were talking about another place now decide that he now likes the other garage and the other mechanic and will form a new denomination that will use the new mechanic because he is SURE that what you wrote was meant for him to go to that other place?

Then again, unless you are some sort of all knowing deity and could somehow see ahead and know how such things can misinterpreted and that your son was gonna mess things up and you could have called him in the nick of time to prevent him from going to the wrong place...
See again, humans will screw things up. Some sort of "great designer" either planned for that or didn't design things correctly. So the blame goes on the designer...if that is sort of things you believe in..

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
All of you. If you want something done to your satisfaction, the only way to make sure that happens is if you do it yourself. Did both your children read the directions fully? If so, It is possible that the message was not crystal clear where there was no room for interpretation. Does your son who either didn't understand your directions or didnt read them all or resd them fully and was sure you were talking about another place now decide that he now likes the other garage and the other mechanic and will form a new denomination that will use the new mechanic because he is SURE that what you wrote was meant for him to go to that other place?

Then again, unless you are some sort of all knowing deity and could somehow see ahead and know how such things can misinterpreted and that your son was gonna mess things up and you could have called him in the nick of time to prevent him from going to the wrong place...
See again, humans will screw things up. Some sort of "great designer" either planned for that or didn't design things correctly. So the blame goes on the designer...if that is sort of things you believe in..
I think OCD may be an issue.........but other than that, yes it is humans fault, not the designer. Thanks for acknowledging that.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Yes in this case I was using Christianity in the sense of Christianity the "organization".
I have Christian friends who share your view.
They don't buy beer on Sunday because the feel THEY shouldn't not that everybody shouldn't.
They send their kids to Christian schools because they don't think its right for one religion to be "pushed" in public schools etc.
Some of my Christian friends are hard core hunters. They freaked out when I told them where I grew up NOONE could hunt on Sundays :)
Yea I know some hard core that think it’s a sin to wash or cut grass on Sunday’s. I tell them my oxe is in the ditch. I also know some that don’t think you should buy beer on Sunday’s, so they get it Saturday and drink it Sunday lol.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I think OCD may be an issue.........but other than that, yes it is humans fault, not the designer. Thanks for acknowledging that.
If the brakes fail on the car and it is found that it happened because of a defect. Who is responsible, the brakes or the designer/manufacturer?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If the brakes fail on the car and it is found that it happened because of a defect. Who is responsible, the brakes or the designer/manufacturer?
As a business man if I gave you specific instructions to do something and you didn’t follow, you’re fired.

This isn’t about warranties, it’s about reading instructions and following them, failure to do so is incompetent.

The constant wanting to blame someone for something is OCD.

Israel

BANNED
I don't believe this is the long view.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
As a business man if I gave you specific instructions to do something and you didn’t follow, you’re fired.

This isn’t about warranties, it’s about reading instructions and following them, failure to do so is incompetent.

Spotlite, I in no way even think that the god you worship even exists in any way that the bible or scripture portrays, let alone that some god had a hand in writing ANY of it.
With that being said, in order to even converse with NONapologists, we have to allow you some liberty and we have to allow ourselves to tap into your world and use what we read in scripture and what believers tell us JUST so we can hold a conversation and use terms and examples of your OWN scripture and claims against you.
To me, it is no different than arguing about The Walking Dead lines, Looney Tunes Cartoon episodes, Mighty Mouse vs Superman Man debates or EVERYTHING included in people who live as though they are a Klingon from Stsr Trek or travel the country from Comic Con event to another as if they were their favorite characters.

The facts according to your scripture is that God is the designer and is All Knowing and All Powerful. If he had men write "his" book and he designed humans to be unable to PRECISELY understand "his"book, then it is "his" fault.
Period

I am not OCD. I am using the facts placed forth in the book and words you use as a religous guide to understand your god. It isn't my fault that you and I can read the same things and get completely different outcomes if in fact, we were designed by the same thing that wants us to use that book to understand him and it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

As a manufacturer, if you printed out instructions that were unclear, non specific, and found to contain errors and outlandish claims if your product and somebody got hurt installing thr product or the product fails ....you gonna do some time.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
As a manufacturer, if you printed out instructions that were unclear, non specific, and found to contain errors and outlandish claims if your product and somebody got hurt installing thr product or the product fails ....you gonna do some time.
But that hasn’t happened

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Spotlite, I in no way even think that the god you worship even exists in any way that the bible or scripture portrays, let alone that some god had a hand in writing ANY of it.
With that being said, in order to even converse with NONapologists, we have to allow you some liberty and we have to allow ourselves to tap into your world and use what we read in scripture and what believers tell us JUST so we can hold a conversation and use terms and examples of your OWN scripture and claims against you.
To me, it is no different than arguing about The Walking Dead lines, Looney Tunes Cartoon episodes, Mighty Mouse vs Superman Man debates or EVERYTHING included in people who live as though they are a Klingon from Stsr Trek or travel the country from Comic Con event to another as if they were their favorite characters.

The facts according to your scripture is that God is the designer and is All Knowing and All Powerful. If he had men write "his" book and he designed humans to be unable to PRECISELY understand "his"book, then it is "his" fault.
Period

I am not OCD. I am using the facts placed forth in the book and words you use as a religous guide to understand your god. It isn't my fault that you and I can read the same things and get completely different outcomes if in fact, we were designed by the same thing that wants us to use that book to understand him and it.
You’re entitled to your thoughts. But so far, they’re not factual.

This whole conversation really had nothing to do with what you believe or don’t believe, it was designed for you to know the book, regardless of your opinion of it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
You’re entitled to your thoughts. But so far, they’re not factual.

This whole conversation really had nothing to do with what you believe or don’t believe, it was designed for you to know the book, regardless of your opinion of it.
I know the book as well as I can understand it.
I've read it numerous times, referenced it tens of thousands.
If You and the other 2 billion Christians all agreed upon everything it said and I just didn't get it, yeah you are onto something. But that is nowhere even close. 5 or 6 Christians in here are not universally in agreement on it, dozens upon dozens above cannot agree upon it and world wide 40,000 denominations and 2 billion individuals disagree.
I had to read it the 2nd time to see if it backed up what I read the first time was the same. The 3rd time confirmed it. I liked the bible much more before I read it all. It is better in bits.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I know the book as well as I can understand it.
I've read it numerous times, referenced it tens of thousands.
If You and the other 2 billion Christians all agreed upon everything it said and I just didn't get it, yeah you are onto something. But that is nowhere even close. 5 or 6 Christians in here are not universally in agreement on it, dozens upon dozens above cannot agree upon it and world wide 40,000 denominations and 2 billion individuals disagree.
I had to read it the 2nd time to see if it backed up what I read the first time was the same. The 3rd time confirmed it. I liked the bible much more before I read it all. It is better in bits.
Ok I can’t say you didn’t read it, only you would know that answer. I can only question some of your use of it that leaves you still asking some questions.