Which County has the Largest Bucks??

brofoster

In the last few years that I have been on this forum. Almost half the counties claim the be one of the best counties in GA for harvesting a B&C buck. I personally think that most of the bigger bucks are indeed in Ga and south of Macon in Lee, Dougherty, Worth, Terrell, Sumter, and Ogelthorpe Counties (the places I hunt). I am hearing the North Lee County is it though. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Buckfever

Brofoster, any of the counties that you mentioned plus Mitchell, Colquitt, and Calhoun have the potential to produce a B/C at anytime. I don't get to hunt Lee county that much, but with all the plantations in that area, and with selected hunting pressure you'll probally be close with that assumption. A friend and I had a conversation about a subject close to this yesterday. There are a lot of monster deer killed in all the above mentioned counties every year, but due to the way it has gotten with people cutting each others throat with lease prices, we don't hear about a lot of them, because of the fear of someone coming in and out bidding for the land, just because there was a big deer killed...JMO....BF

Rebel 3

I would say your best bet for where the largest deer will get killed year in and year out would be the Flint River Counties or counties near the Flint R. in no particular order here: Worth, Lee, Dooly, Schley, Macon, Dougherty, Crisp, Mitchell.

Another good area that has a potential to produce a monster is the Ocmulgee River counties in no particular order: Pulaski, Dodge, Wilcox, Bleckley.

Another area that produces giants is metro Atlanta: Fulton, Gwinnett, Dekalb, and Cobb.

Any of the QDM counties not metioned can produce a monster: Meriwether, Heard, Harris, Randolph, Hancock. I beleive Harris and Hancock have had an offical boone and crocket killed in recent years.

The largest deer in the state could come from anywhere really. One of the largest killed in the 90's I beleive was killed in Hart County. Anywhere in the state perhaps excluding the southern end of the coast could perduce a monster on any given year.

Last year acording to GON the highest scoring buck was killed in Pulaski Co which has not ever had an offical Boone and Crocket scored. Many counties such as this county could and probably will produce a booner one day. People are realizing they can produce 150" or bigger deer nearly anywhere in the state with a good piece of land, that is large and properly managed.

Also, if you look in the state records middle GA counties were producing the biggest bucks in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Counties such as Putnam, Monroe, Jasper produced some of the biggest of the Booners in Ga's history and several of them. These counties have dropped on their production, but dont be surprised if the still produce a Booner again.

kevincox

The bow only counties in metro-atlanta are your best bets at a big mature bow buck. But for B&C class bucks south ga is it

Jim Baker

Staff member
In the last few years that I have been on this forum. Almost half the counties claim the be one of the best counties in GA for harvesting a B&C buck. I personally think that most of the bigger bucks are indeed in Ga and south of Macon in Lee, Dougherty, Worth, Terrell, Sumter, and Ogelthorpe Counties (the places I hunt). I am hearing the North Lee County is it though. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The Biggest Bucks you never here about. Here in our county the plantations are managed mostly for quail but big bucks in the creek bottoms are a by product.

I know of at least 3-170s and 1-180 killed on one Plantation. There was another 180 taken by a 14 year old first day of muzzleloader from a ground stand.

We got pictures of bucks that will go 160 to 170 on two different private properties. Their nocturnal. But most folks down here with good leases aren't going to publicize the big bucks taken for obvious reasons.

But For my Money the the Little River area of Colquitt, Cook, Brooks and the south end of the Withlacoochee around River Bend Plantation.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'll represent for Troup and Thomas. Expect to hear more from both these counties in the future.

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
Year in and year out we see,nice bucks killed around here.(Hart,Franklin,Madison,Elbert....)Not b/c quality deer but "good" Ga. deer.I was glad to see that Pulaski Co. deer in GON ,We have 300 AC. down there,but we see more bear and hogs than deer.

We grow them pritty big in Twiggs to boys
Check out my avatar shot him last season, and we have some nice ones this year as well.

But to really tell the truth, I think deer are getting bigger in Georgia because people are seeing that QDM really works, and alot of people are turning to it. I think we will see a drastick change in the next 5 to 10 years.

flat foot

I agree with all the above mentioned, I have herd alot from Peach and Crawford in the last three years too. I consider natural deer only not the favorite "grown Deer"