First GA deer hunting trip

IBhunting

Hi my name is Jorge and wanted to introduce myself. My bestfriend moved to the Savannah area back in February and bought a house in Bryan County in the town of Ellabell GA and he invited me to come hunt his property this week.

I'm from a small town just south of San Diego CA called Imperial Beach and barely got into hunting a few years ago. I am 33yr old and this is my 4th season and my biggest regret is not discovering my passion for hunting sooner. I had no clue being from the city that we had deer in our mountains. I mainly chase Mule deer and Turkey out here now in the San Diego mountains but also quail, rabbits and dove. Last year I tried waterfowling for the first time and I'm hooked! After my 2nd year I picked up a bow and now mainly bow hunt just for the longer seasons out here. Both deer and turkey are few and far in between out here so I have yet to harvest either but I love the hunt. I'm a member of a SoCal hunting forum and a member of the local NWTF chapter in San Diego where I was able to meet a few like minded folks.

My buddy who moved to GA has a couple acres around his home where so far we've got a doe on cam so we're at least hoping she stays in the area and maybe attracts a buck but we really just want to fill the freezer and would be more then happy to harvest all doe's during my trip. I will be out there for a week starting this Wednesday. We are hoping to do a little squirrel hunting also for some deer camp meals and maybe hit a pond for some fishing.

Both being from CA we aren't use to land leases and hunt clubs..I normally just hit the national forests out here but seems to be a lot different out East so if anyone has some tips or recommendations for us I'd appreciate it. We have OnX so we know the property boundaries. I've come across the Ohoopee Dunes as a possible area to check out..if anyone has hunted there and could shed some light on the area that would be great.

We were also hoping to get into some hogs and possible some geese so if anyone could recommend an area for us to check out in Bryan county or surrounding areas we would really appreciate it. We will definitely be looking into a lease for next season but are hoping to be able to harvest some wild game for the family for the Holidays this year.

Thank you & God bless

slow motion

Welcome to the forum Jorge. Not my part of the state so not familiar with the opportunities there. Check out Georgia wildlife.com Click the properties tab. That's a start. Good luck to you.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Welcome, and good luck. Post up some pics if you are successful.

IBhunting

Welcome to the forum Jorge. Not my part of the state so not familiar with the opportunities there. Check out Georgia wildlife.com Click the properties tab. That's a start. Good luck to you.

Thanks SM..wish I came across the forum sooner but glad I found it!

Canoochee Sandhills and Richmond Hill WMAs are both within Bryan County. If you feel like driving a little farther you can visit Oliver Bridge WMA or many of the WMAs along the Altamaha River.

Maps are here: https://gadnrwrd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=dc1d22bc5ce4415a83f4367b243795d0

Be sure to check the regs before you go. Canoochee isn't open all the time, but does have a hunt this week. Good luck!

Thank you Dylan! I did come across Sandhill area but I believe for deer it said rifle only. We might have to switch over if we check it out. I'll def look up info on the other ones you mentioned!

Will do! I like to go by the saying..pictures or it didn't happen! ; )

Welcome to the forums brother. Well thought out post and questions.

Thanks Jim, I was a little hesitant being from CA and posting on the forum but if hunting has taught me anything it is to get comfortable being uncomfortable and that you gotta be okay with venturing into unfamiliar places. I really appreciate everyone's responses.

Sixes

You mention Sandhills stating rifle only, but you can use any weapon on a rifle hunt. Bows, MLs, etc.

As far as I know, archery equipment can be used on any WMA hunt, I've never heard any different

IBhunting

You mention Sandhills stating rifle only, but you can use any weapon on a rifle hunt. Bows, MLs, etc.

As far as I know, archery equipment can be used on any WMA hunt, I've never heard any different
Thanks for the clarification. I was under that impression but then saw this..
Screenshot_20211019-085520_Chrome.jpg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
This^^ Glad to have you Amigo! You may get a chance at all the game you’re looking for down there. I’d say you just got some great advice and a great buddy too! Best of luck and post up some pics!