White turkeys

Wishin I was Fishin

My best guess is that those turkeys are in a smokey gray color phase. It's basically a partial albino, there are 4 phases and true albino would be a complete absence of color. Don't quote me on it as i've never seen a smokey gray, but I did study the color phases.

Wishin I was Fishin

I know that it typically occurs in hens more than it does toms, so i'd say that it would be a fair guess to say it is a bearded hen.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've seen some in our woods, seems they don't last too long before something gets em. Or at least that's how it seems. See em for a spell, then you don't. We have other color phases too, copper colored, like a new penny. I really like those.

Wishin I was Fishin

Yep, erythritic turkeys are pretty birds. I've never seen any odd color phased turkeys in our woods. It's probably best, because i'd almost certainly have to get another full body mount if I killed one. :)

BUCKNDUCKSLAYER

Ive seen one albino hen. I would love to cross paths with a white gobbler that was wild. Those are some good pics

bbducks

Those are royal palm turkeys the one with the beard is a jake. They probbly got out of a pen. They sure are cool but thats what they are. they were tame

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Those are royal palm turkeys the one with the beard is a jake. They probbly got out of a pen. They sure are cool but thats what they are. they were tame

Royal Palms have white tail feathers with a black stripe and white tips. They also have more white on the body. Smoky grey color phase turkeys usually have brown fans with black stripe and grey tips (which these have).

These are smoky grey color phase turkeys. Very cool pics.

Wesbird2

I don't know I think the Royal Palm Turkey has more white
might be a Narragansett breed

100420AA_Frame1161.jpg What im wondering is is this bearded bird a jake or hen? all the hens seem to be flocking together along with this bird. ive got several jakes on cam without this bird. ( see pic. )

bbducks

I ment they were Narragansett. The Narragansett Turkey is a result of cross breeding between the Eastern Wild Turkey and the a domestic turkey brought to North America by colonists. It is unique to North America and is named for Narragansett Bay. The Narragansett has plumage with black, gray, tan, and white feathers. It resembles the Bronze Turkey but has feathers of gray or dull black replacing the Bronze. The breed is noted for its calm disposition with good maternal abilities. They mature early, are good egg producers and have excellent quality meat. They too are good foragers and don't wander too far from home when let to roam.
This is what i ment it is a royal palm bread with a eastern wild.

bbducks

Color Phases: A few wild turkeys grow unusually colored feathers. These are known as color phases. There are four color phases, a smokey gray color phase, a melanistic color phase (all black), an erythritic color phase (reddish coloration) and an albino color phase (very rare). I take my comments back after reserching more. This could b a smoky grey. but they look so much like my cross breed royal palm and eastern turkeys i have.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I ment they were Narragansett. The Narragansett Turkey is a result of cross breeding between the Eastern Wild Turkey and the a domestic turkey brought to North America by colonists. It is unique to North America and is named for Narragansett Bay. The Narragansett has plumage with black, gray, tan, and white feathers. It resembles the Bronze Turkey but has feathers of gray or dull black replacing the Bronze. The breed is noted for its calm disposition with good maternal abilities. They mature early, are good egg producers and have excellent quality meat. They too are good foragers and don't wander too far from home when let to roam.
This is what i ment it is a royal palm bread with a eastern wild.

Help me out here. The turkey is a strictly American bird. The early Europeans to this country could not have brought them. Where did you get this information, because I would like to research it?