Who has an older mount to share.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The 8 point showing in the attached image is one I shot in November of 1981.
He was mounted by Mr Ed Silvey who had a taxidermy shop in Athens Ga. I think I paid him about $100 to do the work.
38 years later and the mount is still in good shape. I am going to get someone to do some touch up work since his color is fading.
Let’s see your older mounts.

DB608650-7220-42A8-ABB0-7B7D71BE0FDD.jpeg

Red dirt clod

This one was killed November 18th 1981, almost had a chance on him during bow season but I was facing the opposite way watching an 8 pointer and he slipped up on the other side. I was in a Baker climber so by the time I got into position he was in cover. He hangs in my shop now needing a refresh. Don’t remember who did the mount but like you said I remember the cost was around $100.5D678535-1185-4DF0-94D0-2C18791D66D5.jpeg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The plaques on ours look very similar.
I shot mine about 12 days before you got yours. He was chasing his last doe.

Red dirt clod

Mine was walking alone in a straight line behind me no more than 10 yards, I waited till he got to my left and dropped with with a base of the neck shot with a 7 mag. He was an old deer, meat was terrible tasting.
Ed Silvey mounted my 10 pound largemouth I caught when I was 13 years old.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I killed this one in November of '86 while guiding at Burnt Pine Plantation. He was my biggest ever and still hold a special place in my heart. He was recently moved to my shop but I tried to fix him a nice place to hang.20190509_171144-600x800.jpg20190509_171409-600x800.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My first deer mount, and the only one I'll ever get, no matter if I kill the state record. From sometime in the 80s. First buck I ever killed with a traditional muzzleloader. Done by a young teenage friend of mine who now has a very successful taxidermy business in central NC. Looking at the pic, it's in bad need of a really good dusting lol.

mount.jpg

furtaker

The 8 point showing in the attached image is one I shot in November of 1981.
He was mounted by Mr Ed Silvey who had a taxidermy shop in Athens Ga. I think I paid him about $100 to do the work.
38 years later and the mount is still in good shape. I am going to get someone to do some touch up work since his color is fading.
Let’s see your older mounts.

View attachment 968143
My dad had his first nice buck mounted by Mr. Silvey in '85 or '86. His uncle also had one done by him. His mounts tend to have a unique look to them. I saw an old one at a friend's house a few months back and asked him if Ed Silvey did the mount. He said, "Yep." :)

Good thread by the way!

Buckman18

Not sure if it is old enough to qualify, but here’s an old mountain buck that was the first one Woody, who created this forum, ever mounted for me in 2003.

And here’s the second, an ancient mountain buck, killed 2 days later from a different mountain:

Last edited:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Biggest buck killed in the club that year. One of the biggest ever killed in my area.

catchdogs

Granddaddy killed him in the late 70s . He had another rack growing into his neck. They cut 9 points off him just to mount him. Shame that he did . I will try find pics before he was mounted day he killed him.

Attachments

• 82FF51A9-20F1-4BE2-B1B1-916DF2207E77.jpeg
    82FF51A9-20F1-4BE2-B1B1-916DF2207E77.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 239

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It was at about 30 years that I first noticed fading hair colors. The black paint on the nose faded before that I think. (mount in op)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Granddaddy killed him in the late 70s . He had another rack growing into his neck. They cut 9 points off him just to mount him. Shame that he did . I will try find pics before he was mounted day he killed him.
That is a crazy, gnarly looking buck!