Who's hunting with hard-to-find-ammo-for calibers this season?

GAHUNTER60

Me, I'll be in the stand with a Remington Model 14 chambered in .30 Remington. I bought 500 pieces of brass in this caliber several years back, and use it to load ammo for both my .30 and .32 Remingtons. The .30 Remington is simply a rimless 30-30, and the .32 Remington is a rimless .32 Winchester Special.

Later, I'll use my Remington Model 600 rebarreled to .358 Winchester. Until recently, ammo in this caliber was hard to find, but now Hornady has flooded the market with its 200 grain bullet load, and you can find it about everywhere, but i'll use reloads with 220-grain Speers. I also have a custom .35 Whelen and have been to Africa twice with a .404 Jeffery. Both of these are calibers you will not find on the shelf at the Sparta Georgia Quick Trip.

Anybody else infatuated with obsolete discontinued calibers?

Last edited:

pacecars

I will be using a Shiloh Sharps .40-50 SBN to start off with and hope to try out the .300 H&H too

Lilly001

I'll be using a .358 win. Like you said the Hornady ammo is readily available now. I'll also be carrying a .357 max Contender some of the hunts.

I have a .348 win. Model 71, Savage 99 in .358, Ruger #1 .250 Savage, Savage 99 .284 Win., Marlin and Winchesters in .356 Win., Marlin ,Winchesters, and Savage 99 in .375 Win., 7-30 Waters and .307 Winchester 94 to get me started. Don't know if I'm going to get a chance to hunt them all this year but they re all in the rotation, and I usually don't carry the same gun twice. I have a box or two of .25, .30, and .32 Rem. if you run out.

GAHUNTER60

I have a .348 win. Model 71, Savage 99 in .358, Ruger #1 .250 Savage, Savage 99 .284 Win., Marlin and Winchesters in .356 Win., Marlin ,Winchesters, and Savage 99 in .375 Win., 7-30 Waters and .307 Winchester 94 to get me started. Don't know if I'm going to get a chance to hunt them all this year but they re all in the rotation, and I usually don't carry the same gun twice. I have a box or two of .25, .30, and .32 Rem. if you run out.

I love the .348, but it is definitely a caliber for the reloader. Factory ammo is almost non existent, and what is available is gold plated (priced like it, at least).

Anybody hunting with a .356 Winchester? Talk about a hard to find box of ammo....!

I have "little" of each.

Attachments

• IMG_5243.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 979

I have enough for a couple lifetimes of just hunting...

Attachments

• IMG_5244.jpg
    IMG_5244.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 914

GAHUNTER60

I'm not sure I'd have posted a picture of all that .356 and .348 ammo. There's folks who would kill just to get their hands on half that amount of both calibers.

35 Whelen

I started reloading after I got my 35 Whelen because so little factory choices available.

wareagle700

I've got my ammo loaded and ready to go. My biggest issue is deciding which rifle to take.

Steve08

I have enough for a couple lifetimes of just hunting...<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Nice!

deast1988

Got 356 Marlin XR I think, no factory ammo but 500 brass need to get back on the press. And get her back Goin. The two deer I've got with it hammered

GAHUNTER60

Try a 9.3x57. You can actually find 9.3x62 but 9.3x57 is scarce.

I toyed with the idea of getting a 9.3x57 a few years back. There was a company on the net who had imported a huge lot of used Swedish sporting rifles and was selling them fairly cheap. The majority of these guns were chambered in 9.3x57, while the rest were 9.3x62 and 6.5x55.

I already had a 9.3x62, and a 35 Whelen, it's ballistic twin. Plus, I was in the process of having a .358 Winchester built, and just couldn't justify buying what was sure to be a safe queen.

Had I bought it, I would have made my brass by passing 8x57 brass through a 9.3, full-length sizing die. Supposedly, it's a very simple, one pass, operation. The finished product is just a tad shorter than Norma 9.3x57 brass, but not enough to cause a problem.

Also, there is someone selling loaded ammo on Gun Broker for $56.00 per box of 20.

Alan in GA

475 Linebaugh. Sold the Ruger #1 but still have some ammo. Doubt I'll have another 475LB!
IF I get an opportunity to gun hunt again I will once again have my 250 Savage Ackley Improved to use. I really like the 358 Win I hunted with for 12 years but I also enjoyed making 358 cases EASILY out of 308 cases - one pass through the 358 FL die with it's tapered expander!
I have to say the 250 Savage (both standard and improved versions) and the 358 Win have been the two 'favorite' rounds in my 49 years of hand loading, rifle and hunting hobby. That said, I've shot MANY more rounds of 17 Ackley Hornet than any other cartridge, ground squirrel hunting in Montana. (Not including 22 rimfires).

Last edited:

GAHUNTER60

On the 9.3x57 available on Gun Broker, it's loaded with a 286-grain bullet at just shy of 2100 fps. My guess is you would never recover a bullet fired into a whitetail, regardless of angle. But what a blood trail it should leave....

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
My .444...factory ammo choices for it sucks. Even the much hyped LEVERevolution® ( my Marlin doesn't like it).

Thankfully I reload and it shoots the Speer 270gr Gold Dot really well, which they do not make anymore.:banginghe

So after I shoot the 60 rounds I have loaded I will have to find a new bullet/load it likes.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 747

Stroker

Winchester model 1907 chambered in .351 SL.

GAHUNTER60

Cool. I love those old Winchester autoloaders. I looked for years for a reasonably priced Model 1910 in .401 WSL.

Where do you get your ammo, or if you roll your own, your components?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I've been wanting to use my 450 marlin but only ammo I can find for it is leverlution....which I dont like and dont want to buy.
I want the old superformance flat nose that hornady made.
Mainly because of the brush gun feeling.
Anyone know of any please give a heads up to me.