Who's hunting with hard-to-find-ammo-for calibers this season?

Stroker

Cool. I love those old Winchester autoloaders. I looked for years for a reasonably priced Model 1910 in .401 WSL.

Where do you get your ammo, or if you roll your own, your components?

Love the gun, but it is heavy. Goggle is your friend for ammo, there are several manufactures of both the .351 SL and .401 WSL.

GAHUNTER60

I've been wanting to use my 450 marlin but only ammo I can find for it is leverlution....which I dont like and dont want to buy.
I want the old superformance flat nose that hornady made.
Mainly because of the brush gun feeling.
Anyone know of any please give a heads up to me.

If you find any of that old Hornady ammo loaded with the 350 grain flat nosed bullet, you will probably have to pay through the nose for it. Other than custom ammo (like Superior), only the Leverevolution crud is currently in production.

But take heart. This guy will load load you all you want at $55 per box. Just specify that you want the Hornady 350 grain flat nose bullet, and you get a round that duplicates the original factory load.

Here's the link:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/591951448

GunnSmokeer

I used to have 100 rounds of .351 WSL ammo that I traded-into as part of an estate sale.
Eventually I sold it cheap to an ammo collector.
It looked like a good round for deer hunting up close, like you'd do with s .30-30 or .35 Rem.

---------------

Speaking of odd calibers, next year my brother wants to hunt with a .65 or larger caliber muzzle-loader.
A modern one, rifled bore, and scoped.
I said: "Yesh, sure. Good luck finding or building one like that."

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Awesome GAHUNTER thanks!!!!!!!!

GAHUNTER60

Awesome GAHUNTER thanks!!!!!!!!

If you use him, please let us know how it goes. He says he loads for many hard-to-find-ammo-for calibers and could potentially be an important resource for several folks on this board.

I'm older now and get more pleasure by helping others than just helping myself. If we all work together, there's no reason anybody's old rifle should gather dust in the corner.

Let's get them back in the woods where they belong.

rosewood

7mm TCU with 10" barrel, for close shots. 7-30 waters carbine for longer ones. Also CVA 35 remington carbine.

Rosewood

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
If you use him, please let us know how it goes. He says he loads for many hard-to-find-ammo-for calibers and could potentially be an important resource for several folks on this board.

I'm older now and get more pleasure by helping others than just helping myself. If we all work together, there's no reason anybody's old rifle should gather dust in the corner.

Let's get them back in the woods where they belong.

I agree!!:flag:

I normally use several different rifles each season. I'm planning on using another of my Marlin .375s (using BB 38-55 255gr JFN ammo), one of my 336ERs, my double rifle in 9.3x74R, my new Ruger #1 in 9.3x62, Browning Medallion in .325WSM and my BLR/.450.

I'll also likely use my BLR/.358, .444P and M750 Carbine in .35 Whelen, but ammo for them is pretty easy to find now. Those who are shooting a .358 might want to look at BB's 225gr SP load. It dropped a black bear in it's tracks for me in Maine last Sep.

GAHUNTER60

I normally use several different rifles each season. I'm planning on using another of my Marlin .375s (using BB 38-55 255gr JFN ammo), one of my 336ERs, my double rifle in 9.3x74R, my new Ruger #1 in 9.3x62, Browning Medallion in .325WSM and my BLR/.450.

I'll also likely use my BLR/.358, .444P and M750 Carbine in .35 Whelen, but ammo for them is pretty easy to find now. Those who are shooting a .358 might want to look at BB's 225gr SP load. It dropped a black bear in it's tracks for me in Maine last Sep.

I'm a huge fan of 225-grain bullets in the 358. However, for deer, you do not need premium, super tough stuff. At 23OO fps, even the cheap Sierra Game Kings will give total pass through.

I'm a huge fan of 225-grain bullets in the 358. However, for deer, you do not need premium, super tough stuff. At 23OO fps, even the cheap Sierra Game Kings will give total pass through.

I always thought the 250 gr. factory silvertips were the most accurate in my 99, the 200's were, well, adequate. Never handloaded for it as I don't shoot it enough to bother and find factory fodder up to the job, at least the way I hunt. Pretty much anything you put in a .358 will just murder deer, it's a wonderful cartridge.

Alan in GA

I bought a couple boxes of Winchester factory ammo (silver box) in 375 Win a couple years ago HOPING it would draw an affordable Marlin 375 to me. Hasn't worked yet : (
I also have a Savage 23B in 25-20 Win that is accurate. However the two 50 round boxes of Winchester ammo may be worth as much as the rifle!

GAHUNTER60

Is getting tough to find.

s&r

Uh, not if you believe Ammoseek. According to them, there's a ton of it available online. Here's the link to every one of the suppliers they represent that have it:

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/6mm-remington

According to the ATF, more than half of all ammo sales are online. That's one of the reasons retail stores are more-and-more often only stocking calibers they know they they will turn over quickly (like '06, .308, .30-30, .270, etc.). Folks looking for niche calibers (and the 6mm Remington is definitely a niche caliber) are already buying the stuff online, and not even looking for it at the local sporting goods store. Therefore, it's not cost-effective for retail stores to carry it locally.

If you have not ever bought ammo online, you might consider it, at least before the Hilda-beast makes it illegal to do so. (Personally, I'd order enough for tne next 10-or-so seasons. Of course, that amount depends on how much "fun shooting" you do between hunting seasons."

The 225gr bullet BB I mentioned is a Sierra Game King, so I doubt it would be too tough on deer. I've used a couple different 200gr in mine as well as a 250gr Speer Grand Slam used on a Georgia hog and a really big Tennessee buck.

The other 225gr BB offering is a TSX and I'd certainly agree that bullet would be more than needed or wanted for deer.

ADDED: There's a small ammo manufacturer (Wisconsin Cartridge) that also loads .358 and they are now using the fine Speer 180gr JFN bullet at a nice velocity, 2600 FPS. If I didn't already have a bunch of .358, I'd be trying some of that for deer at reasonable ranges.

HSM has also got some of their .358 back out on the market with the 225gr Sierra at a nice velocity, 2400 FPS, for deer. That's about 150 FPS less than my BB load.

Last edited:

GAHUNTER60

model88_30 ADDED:[I said:
There's a small ammo manufacturer (Wisconsin Cartridge) that also loads .358 and they are now using the fine Speer 180gr JFN bullet at a nice velocity, 2600 FPS. If I didn't already have a bunch of .358, I'd be trying some of that for deer at reasonable ranges.

HSM has also got some of their .358 back out on the market with the 225gr Sierra at a nice velocity, 2400 FPS, for deer. That's about 150 FPS less than my BB load[/I].

My "go to" deer load ia Speer Flat Nose in 220 grains. I have thought about trying that 180 grainer, but they were pretty scarce the last three years.

I read a review once that claimed that the .358 loaded with the 180 Speer is one of the best whitetail loads, ever.

Last edited:
I can see from what I've read that happening. I'm loving .35 cal size from the get go. I love even more the idea of a fast opening bullet that's not a "bomb" wreaking havoc on deer and hogs.

deerstand

257 Roberts here.. not as rare as it used to be...the good thing about shooting "odd" caliber guns is you don't have to worry about your buddies borrowing your Ammo.... the bad thing is.... you cant borrow theirs :)

pdsniper

yea it would be if you were shooting them close, but I shoot them from a long ways off I'm loading a 155 gn in it for deer you won't believe the Velocity I'm getting