Who's hunting with hard-to-find-ammo-for calibers this season?

rosewood

yea it would be if you were shooting them close, but I shoot them from a long ways off I'm loading a 155 gn in it for deer you won't believe the Velocity I'm getting

Yeah, and the recoil on your shoulder......

What's recoil?? Never felt it shooting a game animal. :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Not only do I not feel the recoil, I never even seem to hear the gun go off. I just shoot, and watch the game animal run away.....:huh:

bowbuck

.300 SAUM. I would love to find several boxes of 180 gr. Corelokts. I have a rifle that shoots it into tight little groups. I only see the Nosler stuff for sale online now. If anyone knows where some is sitting, I would love to know about it.

GAHUNTER60

.300 SAUM. I would love to find several boxes of 180 gr. Corelokts. I have a rifle that shoots it into tight little groups. I only see the Nosler stuff for sale online now. If anyone knows where some is sitting, I would love to know about it.

Dang, you're right. I just did a cursory search, and all I could come up with were Noslers. Even on Gun Broker no one was selling CoreLokts.

This is unusual because, usually, when a round bears a rifle manufacturer's name, they service the caliber, even when no one else will. And let's face it, the SAUM family of cartridges is not near old enough to be declared "obsolete!"

The good news is Nosler Ammo is good, albeit expensive, stuff. Have you tried the Accubond load in your gun? I've had good luck with them in several of my guns. Accurate and tend to flatten everything I shoot with them.

.300 saum

I own and hunt with two rifles in .300 SAUM as well as one in the ever popular 7mmSAUM :O and ammo is a pain in the butt to find. I was buying the .300 from HSM (they load Grand Slams in it), but they have been out for a good while now.

I'd recommend taking a regular look at Nosler's site to be able to catch the .300 on sale there. When it's on sale, it's a GREAT deal. I have some of the 180gr E-Tip and also some of the 200gr NP that I've found on sale.

Good Luck!

jglenn

I have both a 7mm SAUM and a 300 in SS Model 7s... the 7 shoots lights out(way better than any WSM I've owned) and the 300 will consistently shoot under 1". Never heard of one that wouldn't shoot really well.

only way to survive is reloading.. Remington really needs to make a run of brass. thankfully I have a fair number of cases for both..

If I run into any loaded ammo I'll keep you in mine BowBuck.

I'm hunting with the 7 this year.

deers2ward

Me, I'll be in the stand with a Remington Model 14 chambered in .30 Remington. I bought 500 pieces of brass in this caliber several years back, and use it to load ammo for both my .30 and .32 Remingtons. The .30 Remington is simply a rimless 30-30, and the .32 Remington is a rimless .32 Winchester Special.

Later, I'll use my Remington Model 600 rebarreled to .358 Winchester. Until recently, ammo in this caliber was hard to find, but now Hornady has flooded the market with its 200 grain bullet load, and you can find it about everywhere, but i'll use reloads with 220-grain Speers. I also have a custom .35 Whelen and have been to Africa twice with a .404 Jeffery. Both of these are calibers you will not find on the shelf at the Sparta Georgia Quick Trip.

Anybody else infatuated with obsolete discontinued calibers?

.30 Remington: https://www.venturamunitions.com/ventura-heritage-30-remington-150gr-sp-ammo-20-rounds/

35 Whelen: http://ammoseek.com/ammo/35-whelen

404 Jeffery: http://ammoseek.com/ammo/404-jeffery

Infuriated? I much prefer people bring me things vs. have to go get them. Click and receive, my friend. It's 2016 ;)

bowbuck

Dang, you're right. I just did a cursory search, and all I could come up with were Noslers. Even on Gun Broker no one was selling CoreLokts.

This is unusual because, usually, when a round bears a rifle manufacturer's name, they service the caliber, even when no one else will. And let's face it, the SAUM family of cartridges is not near old enough to be declared "obsolete!"

The good news is Nosler Ammo is good, albeit expensive, stuff. Have you tried the Accubond load in your gun? I've had good luck with them in several of my guns. Accurate and tend to flatten everything I shoot with them.

I appreciate everyone's input. I only deer hunt with the rifle a few times a year as I mostly bowhunt. I do usually kill one or two a year with it and it is a deer killing machine. I have only ever shot the 180 corelokts out of it and they shoot into .5-.75 inch groups so i can live with that. I typically check zero every year then squeeze off one or two on deer, so I don't burn through ammo quickly for it. I have two boxes of 165 gr corelokts I found on sale a while back. I plan to try the nosler. I have hunted with NP's in other calibers and been happy with their performance. Thanks again and if anyone sees a dusty box of 180's somewhere let me know. Thanks again.

pdsniper

Well there is less felt recoil on my rifle with the 300 Norma mag than my new ultra light hunter chambered in 6.5 Creedmore the gun has a very efficient break and its over 15 lbs

rosewood

Well there is less felt recoil on my rifle with the 300 Norma mag than my new ultra light hunter chambered in 6.5 Creedmore the gun has a very efficient break and its over 15 lbs

"It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple
question of weight ratios!"

Jason280

The most "uncommon" rounds I will be hunting with will be a 7x57, .358, and .375 Winchester...although the 7mm Mauser isn't really all that uncommon.

The most "uncommon" rounds I will be hunting with will be a 7x57, .358, and .375 Winchester...although the 7mm Mauser isn't really all that uncommon.

I've taken bucks with all three. Some really good cartridges right there. Had my BLR/.358 at the range just yesterday getting it ready for my trip to Georgia on Sunday. My .358 is topped with a Leupold compact 2-7x28 with #4 reticle and the Marlin .375 I used for my Kentucky buck last season was wearing a Weaver V3 1-3x20.

Good Luck!! :cool:

pacecars

Just bought a 7x64. No ammo locally but it is pretty easy to find online.

GAHUNTER60

Still haven't taken a deer with the 9.3, but it will stop a reversing skunk

Do you "roll your own," or use almost-impossible-to-find factory loads (I think Norma is the only major factory still loading it)?

Is your 9.3x57 one of those Husqvarna Model 46s or 146s that have found their way into the country? I may still end up buying one, as they are cheap and I'd be the only person in my club (county?) hunting with one. I thought that would be the case when I got the 9.3x62, then I come to find out that there is a small-but-growing contingent of hunters who love this cartridge (what's not to love?) and using it in Georgia.

In the last 10 years, I've hunted deer in Georgia with a .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery, and a .458 Lott, in addition to the 9.3x62, .30 Rem. and .32 Rem. (and a bunch of boring calibers like .30-'06, .270, .35 Rem., and .358 Winchester.).

BTW, there is a small company loading the .9.3x57 with 286-grain Hornady bullets in properly headstamped Norma brass and selling it for $54.00 a box. Here's the link:

http://shop.reedsammo.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=9.3x57

GunnSmokeer

I wish

I used to collect cartridges, and I had a couple of boxes of .43 Spanish rounds-- blackpowder cartridges. Some were the original 1870s loads, and some were a later 1890's "reformado" versions with pointed, jacketed bullets.

I'd love to get an old Remington rolling black rifle or other single-shot rifle of that period, 120-ish years old, and use it on a deer. Open sights and no farther than 100 yards, given my modest skill level at open-sight shooting under field conditions.

Firing an approximately 350 grain bullet at 1400 f.p.s., it would be on par with the .454 Casull, and just a bit less powerful than the .45-70 original blackpowder equivalent loads.

Attachments

• 43 Roll Block Rifle.jpg
    43 Roll Block Rifle.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 43 Spanish.jpg
    43 Spanish.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 138

aabradley82

Gahunter60, I'm rolling my own. It's a husky 146. 286gr privi bullet in Norma brass. I need to try the Speers again but the privi loads grouped from the get go. I did roll a buck with it. Dead deer without bloodshot and carnage in the shoulders. I'm thinking about a second 146 to maybe make 9.3x62

jglenn

had 4 of those Argentine 43 Spanish rifles back in the 70s.. we converted them to 45-70 which was a popular deal like the old Jap mausers being converted..

Paid $100 for 4 of them.. :biggrin2: