Why does some of our law enforcement do this?

What would you prefer?

I am a police officer with a take home vehicle.

While on the highway to and from work, if I give plenty of room and go slow, other traffic would accuse me of abusing my authority and going slow just to make everyone else go slow.

If I speed up and get close to the vehicle in front of me, and get on down the road so that other traffic can do the same, I would be accused of abusing my authority and going fast just because I can.

Which would you prefer? No matter what I or other officers on the road do, we are wrong.

j_seph

While on the highway to and from work, if I give plenty of room and go slow, other traffic would accuse me of abusing my authority and going slow just to make everyone else go slow.

If I speed up and get close to the vehicle in front of me, and get on down the road so that other traffic can do the same, I would be accused of abusing my authority and going fast just because I can.

Which would you prefer? No matter what I or other officers on the road do, we are wrong.

Go with the flow of traffic but don't ride the bumper to do it. Thanks for what you do as an officer.

j_seph

It appears the Trooper needs to back off a little. It also appears that you really need to wash your windshield. And was your passenger riding in your lap or was she/he in the middle, because it appears the picture was take from the middle of the right lane. Either way, I think you should stop worrying about the Trooper and take care of your issues. You are an accident waiting for a place to happen.

If you really need to know, my iPhone was plugged into the charger and the cord won't stretch from beside steering column to the passenger seat. So yes they were leaning over near the console to take the pic. I will try and get that window taken care of for you though.

Money man

I wonder if I can ask this question of the LEO the next time I am pulled over. ::ke::rofl: I feel your pain man!

dturnersr

I just retired from Florida as a Deputy and also had a take home car. I rode 12 hour shifts and was one of the few who "worked" the whole shift normally clocking about 200-250-miles a day... The previous poster is right you are in a no win situation most of the time. If your on your way to a non emergency but urgent call (no blue lights) but you are expected to expited...then everyone sees your car and hits the brakes blocking you in traffic. I used to flash my headlights, guess what caused nothing but problems, try to squeeze up to grab their attention and most driver's panic slow even more...talk about frustration. No it gets better go on a real emergency call with lights and it's just about the same worse in the blue hair state I've heard of incidents where old folks had heart attacks because of fire trucks or ambulances going or trying to pass...:confused:

Bottom line ....cops are people too, there are good ones, average ones, and really bad ones. But then again so are the people behind every other line of work.

Last thought.. a true story= bank robbery in progress shots fired at deputy :shoot:....I haul you know what to help out twenty miles away heavy traffic in construction zone. I manage to get there (no crashes, no one gets hurt, no damage to my car) the bad guy gets :shoot: pack him off to the ER. I didn't shoot him otherwise it would have been the morgue:flag: We seize his gun, and two bombs.. guess what next day back to work 4 of us get called in on the carpet for going too fast....

I asked the Captain, How fast do you want me to come when you get shot at? Still got paper.:huh: I'd do it again.:banana:

ryano

Banned
if we tailgate a leo what's gonna happen? He will probably slow so you pass then write you a ticket for following too closely.

I seen that happen just a few months ago one night :rofl:

There was a trooper in an unmarked Charger two vehicles in front of me doing the speed limit on a two lane highway. This lady was riding his rear REAL close and finally she passed him on a double yellow :crazy::crazy::crazy:.........he immediately pulled her over :rofl:

I had to laugh.

Razor Blade

Looks like 365 at around alto or baldwin area . My home

j_seph

I got called on the carpet once for running code (lights and siren) to Dairy Queen. Was actually going to a wreck with injuries when another Deputy got there first and advised me no injuries and he could handle it. So I pulled into lunch. Some concerned citizen that I passed, called and complained. We all had a good laugh after I explained myself. I wanted to call the CC so bad, but they wouldnt let me.
One more parting shot, I know the training that the Trooper has had, Obviously it doesnt give the right to violate traffic laws, but I feel more comfortable with him then with some "do gooders" taking pictures going down the road.

PM sent

merc123

1. Why do police officers get take home vehicles? It's not authorized for me to take a state government vehicle home unless it's for official business only.

2. I don't get that 2nd part. If the speed limit is 100 MPH and you, the LEO, doing 50 you bet your butt I'll be doing 100 MPH past you. Never seen a code section that states you're breaking the law for passing a LEO vehicle legally. People are stupid sometimes.

W

wickedjester

1. Why do police officers get take home vehicles? It's not authorized for me to take a state government vehicle home unless it's for official business only.

2. I don't get that 2nd part. If the speed limit is 100 MPH and you, the LEO, doing 50 you bet your butt I'll be doing 100 MPH past you. Never seen a code section that states you're breaking the law for passing a LEO vehicle legally. People are stupid sometimes.

I pass LEO every morning.If they are going slower than posted speed limit I figure they are just eating donuts::ke:

Bill Mc

When I was an LEO, anytime I answered a call that did not require blues and siren, it seems that everyone wold slow down about 5 to 10 miles slower than the speed limit.

But if I wan running blues, etc and the call was cancelled, I surely would not turn into a "food place" :bounce: I usually just turned off into a side road and turned everything off.

Folks will complain in a new york minute.

As for the picture that started the post, if you ever drive I285 and leave more than a car length and half, someone will pull in front of you.

I've found the you much watch not only the car in front of you but at least 4 or 5 so you can react if someone applies the brakes. If you can't see that far, change lanes.

T.P.

Banned
One more parting shot, I know the training that the Trooper has had, Obviously it doesnt give the right to violate traffic laws, but I feel more comfortable with him then with some "do gooders" taking pictures going down the road.

Hit a nerve....huh?

j_seph

Looks like 365 at around alto or baldwin area . My home
Actually 365 between lula and white sulpher rd
Bad part is when you see the same County deputy every morning going to work in their "take home vehicle" they are doing the same. Guess they had some special nascar drafting training as well. Wish I could find brakes as good as theirs.

j_seph

Little math class
We humans require time to process information before committing ourselves to a course of action. Typical human reaction time can vary from 0.2 to 0.25 seconds;
A car traveling 60 mph is 1 mile per minute, that is 5,280 feet per minute. This breaks down to 88 feet per second. Now if it takes say the lowest reaction time of 0.2 that is 17.6 feet you will travel in 0.2 seconds. If you had a reaction time of 0.1 you would still hit them after you traveled 8.8 ft

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Emergency Vehicle Operator Course Training....it is done by most any LEO using a patrol car....Mainly Sheriff's Deptuties, GSP, City/County Police, EMTs, Paramedics, Firefighters, and GA. MCCD

Thank you.

earl

Banned
Come to Cobb County. CC Police drive over the speed limit and pass on the right as a matter of of course . Blue lights seem to be optional, as do sirens, when speeding up and down the roads.
I though when you went above the speed limit for any reason you had to run lights and sirens . Yeah,yeah ,I know . Leo's just have to enforce the law , not obey it .

blues brother

Bottom line ....cops are people too, there are good ones, average ones, and really bad ones. But then again so are the people behind every other line of work.
:

X2
Yes a LEO should be held to a higher standard. I like to think that the majority of them are good men and women.
The one in the photo is prolly a very good cop.
I travel from barnesville to griffin on hwy 341 on a regular basis and it never fails to have a college kid in the left lane driving 50 mph talking on the cell phone. usually it is a female. Does that mean that all college age females with a cell phone are bad drivers...nope...justs the ones I get stuck behind.:stir::stir:

Take Home Vehicle

Explosive detection K-9. Take home vehicle equals always on call, and numerous hours at home taking care of and training dog. Call outs every hour of the day / night and last minute cancelled off days and vacations... and oh yea, always having uniform or most of uniform on ready to go and no alcohol. Funded by Dept of Homeland Security.

DYI hunting

Anybody know the charge for slowing down when an officer is tailgating and trying to push you up the left hand lane? I was passing right hand lane traffic slow and steady doing the speed limit plus maybe a mile or two over. A state patrol was danger close so I steadily hit my brakes (not a brake check) and went from around 67 (in a 65) to 40, let the right hand traffic pass, then changed over to the slow lane with flashing my blinker about twice. 1/2 mile later I was on the side of the road having to explain my driving to a very irate officer who got even more so after I explained I was taught to slow down when being tailgating to leave room for both of us to stop and his dashcam video would show the same in court. I got a lengthy field sobriety test, speech on my dangerous driving and a ticket for wreckless driving and improper lane change (for not leaving my blinker on long enough). I went to court to fight it and the judge threw out the charges after the officer was a no-show for the first and second hearing.