Why does some of our law enforcement do this?

DeWalt

Banned
LOOK OUT!!..................oops too late.
:hair::hair:

Attachments

• derailed-train-derailed-thread-demotivational-poster-1237346157.jpg
    derailed-train-derailed-thread-demotivational-poster-1237346157.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 120

contender*

Little math class
We humans require time to process information before committing ourselves to a course of action. Typical human reaction time can vary from 0.2 to 0.25 seconds;
A car traveling 60 mph is 1 mile per minute, that is 5,280 feet per minute. This breaks down to 88 feet per second. Now if it takes say the lowest reaction time of 0.2 that is 17.6 feet you will travel in 0.2 seconds. If you had a reaction time of 0.1 you would still hit them after you traveled 8.8 ft

Actually (not trying to be a know it all:D) stopping distance is calculated with three different distances.

Perception distance= the time it takes to recognize the need to stop which is about .75 seconds.

Reaction distance= the time it takes your foot to move and apply the brake after your brain tells it to. which is also about .75 seconds.

Stopping distance=the distance it takes the vehicle to stop once the brakes are applied which depends on your vehicle weight but on a heavy vehicle this number ranges to about 6-8 seconds.

(These three numbers came directly out of the DDS commercial driver's manual..)

Just the first two numbers add up to a second and a half. This is only if your paying good attention to the road. If your fiddling with a radio or a cell phone all goes out the window.
IMO the officer is causing a hazard as well as the 3 vehicles in front of him (there is a slightly greater distance on the three ahead of him). Being an officer he should set a better example as LEO IS held to a higher standard.
I don't care what kind of "advanced driver training" a person has had. There is no reason to put himself or others in a situation like this. Just my .02.....

Bill Mc

Has nobody picked that you should also be watching what is happening to the 4 or 5 cars in front of you.

That reaction timecan be extended if you see that traffic is slowing down or the 6th car in front of you is dodging a deer.

contender*

Has nobody picked that you should also be watching what is happening to the 4 or 5 cars in front of you.

That reaction timecan be extended if you see that traffic is slowing down or the 6th car in front of you is dodging a deer.

This is true. I'm always scanning ahead between as far as I can see and the car in front of me. I always try and leave 5-7 seconds between me and the car in front. If someone pulls between I just recalculate my distance.

Actually 365 between lula and white sulpher rd
Bad part is when you see the same County deputy every morning going to work in their "take home vehicle" they are doing the same. Guess they had some special nascar drafting training as well. Wish I could find brakes as good as theirs.

Reminds me of what Jeff Foxworthy said (think it was him) about the "interstate pace car." When a cop is driving down the interstate, everyone is afraid to pass him, so they drive exactly the same speed behind him in both lanes until he gets off at an exit. Then, "it's back to green flag racin'!"

kevozz

I had a LEO on a motorcycle rear end my car from following too close when a wrecker pulled out in front of me on an exit while hauling away another accident. Boy his supervisor was mad. Had to get a State Trooper to come out and write it up.

Latest posts