Why has Christianity lasted so long?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
This is not the first time the church has been ostracized or persecuted, yet it's still here?

I know you've been in enough SS classes to know that. :)
Why so many denominations and which have it all correct?

jmharris23

40,000 DIFFERENT denominations within Christianity. How many are alike?

The vast majority of them are more alike than they are different

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The vast majority of them are more alike than they are different

Then why the need to form another denomination?
It's not like within Christianity there are 40.
It's 40THOUSAND!

jmharris23

Then why the need to form another denomination?
It's not like within Christianity there are 40.
It's 40THOUSAND!

Because people..believers and unbelievers alike, have a real hard time agreeing on specifics and not getting stupid. ;)

Artfuldodger

Sounds like business goals.

I look at it as the more we progress, we learn more about the Unity of Christ. We learn to be more spiritual and care less about one wearing flip flops and drinking coffee during the Church service.

If it brings more to hear the message then yes it is a business goal.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Because people..believers and unbelievers alike, have a real hard time agreeing on specifics and not getting stupid. ;)

To me it seems like it is more of a issue of content accuracy and people will tweak and twist and change whatever necessary to fit their own views, beliefs and agendas.

jmharris23

To me it seems like it is more of a issue of content accuracy and people will tweak and twist and change whatever necessary to fit their own views, beliefs and agendas.

I don't really agree with your assessment here that it is an issue on content accuracy. Most denominations agree on the basics. They just have different opinions on tertiary issues.

But yes certainly people tweak and twist words to fit their own views, beliefs, and agendas.

That happens outside of religion too.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I don't really agree with your assessment here that it is an issue on content accuracy. Most denominations agree on the basics. They just have different opinions on tertiary issues.

But yes certainly people tweak and twist words to fit their own views, beliefs, and agendas.

Religion is supposed to be people following the word of god (s) who is/are supposed to be infallible and the ultimate truth. There shouldn't need to be any twisting or tweaking unless they find the word to be fallible and untruthful.
Outside of religion the real world is full things that are suspect.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As far as religions go, Christianity is certainly not the oldest in common practice, or anywhere near the longest-lasting in history. Hinduism and Buddhism both predate Christianity and are still going strong. Hinduism in particular has been around at least twice as long as Christianity. Islam is only a few hundred years behind Christianity at the moment.

Past religions that were practiced for as long or longer time periods than Christianity has currently been around would include Celtic polytheism, The ancient Egyptian religion, Germanic polytheistic religions such as the Norse/Viking religion, Phoenecian/Mediterranean worship of Baal and Dagon, the Greco-Roman religion, various North American tribal religions, etc.

Just because they aren't around today doesn't mean that they didn't have a good run for thousands of years. And some of those, such as Celtic paganism, are making a pretty good comeback today.

WaltL1

To me it kind of seems like you are trying to put a silk hat on a pig?
Tertiary issues?
Many of them don't even agree on who and how you get the big ticket upstairs.
That's not so "tertiary" .......

jmharris23

To me it kind of seems like you are trying to put a silk hat on a pig?
Tertiary issues?
Many of them don't even agree on who and how you get the big ticket upstairs.
That's not so "tertiary" .......

I'm sorry.... you're right. When I was thinking of Christian denominations, I was thinking of those historically considered Christian, so we have a different definition of denominations. I should have said and should add secondary issues as well.

WaltL1

It sounds like we probably have a different definition of denominations.
Maybe?
Its possible I may be referring to different Christian beliefs as opposed to the "official" doctrine of their denomination.
Do all denominations agree that only specific people are prechosen for Heaven regardless of whether they believe or not?
Faith vs works?
Once saved always saved?
Correct % amounts of offerings?
etc etc

jmharris23

Religion is supposed to be people following the word of god (s) who is/are supposed to be infallible and the ultimate truth. There shouldn't need to be any twisting or tweaking unless they find the word to be fallible and untruthful.
Outside of religion the real world is full things that are suspect.

Even the word of god that we believe says that we will mess it up and get it wrong sometimes.

But I get what you're saying. If I tried to rebuttal this, I would have to use the bible that you don't believe to give you an answer and I guess that would be a waste of both of our time.

jmharris23

Maybe?
Its possible I may be referring to different Christian beliefs as opposed to the "official" doctrine of their denomination.
Do all denominations agree that only specific people are prechosen for Heaven regardless of whether they believe or not?
Faith vs works?
Once saved always saved?
Correct % amounts of offerings?
etc etc

No they do not all agree on all of those issues. But they do agree that Christ lived, died, was buried, and resurrected. They believe that their salvation and eternity are secured through that belief.

The rest of it is interpretation. But it doesn't change the main message which is the main issue.

WaltL1

No they do not all agree on all of those issues. But they do agree that Christ lived, died, was buried, and resurrected. They believe that their salvation and eternity are secured through that belief.

The rest of it is interpretation. But it doesn't change the main message which is the main issue.
But they do agree that Christ lived, died, was buried, and resurrected.
Yes
They believe that their salvation and eternity are secured through that belief
No.
See the differences I sited. If the differences in the beliefs of the denominations didn't (supposedly) matter there would be one denomination. No?
Any chance you are mixing "how it should be" with "how it is"?

jmharris23

Yes

No.
See the differences I sited. If the differences in the beliefs of the denominations didn't (supposedly) matter there would be one denomination. No?
Any chance you are mixing "how it should be" with "how it is"?

Sure that's certainly possible.

WaltL1

Sure that's certainly possible.
But they do agree that Christ lived, died, was buried, and resurrected
Its kind of a shame that Christianity/Christians couldn't have just left it at that.
It would have eliminated a lot of our (nonbelievers) rebuttal points on alot of these discussions :bounce:

Latest posts