Why hasn’t the record been broken?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Bananaslug22

I don’t think the World Record was the goal. The magazine (Outdoor Life?) held a national biggest fish contest with a cash prize of I think $75. So tell me how much money $75 was to a poor farmhand back in 1932?
And then he wins the same contest either the next year or the year after for the same magazine with a 13lb Bass? A picture of that bass exists and seems freakishly small for a 13lber.

I have my doubts.

doomtrpr_z71

Sounds like a whole lot of sour grapes to me. I would believe an old Georgia farmer to be honest long before I would believe a modern professional bass fisherman to be.
Considering the florida state record was caught in 1923 under similar circumstances, I'd agree, 20-7lbs and it was near the GA line and it was eaten as well. Hard to argue against something with math like they did in the article and decide the fish should have weighed more.

doomtrpr_z71

I don’t think the World Record was the goal. The magazine (Outdoor Life?) held a national biggest fish contest with a cash prize of I think $75. So tell me how much money $75 was to a poor farmhand back in 1932?
And then he wins the same contest either the next year or the year after for the same magazine with a 13lb Bass? A picture of that bass exists and seems freakishly small for a 13lber.

I have my doubts.
No cash, it was just some merchandise from Field and Stream

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Every time somebody catches a big fish or kills a big critter, there are always a bunch of jealous folks trying to tear it down. The guy that caught the world record smallmouth, somebody filed an affadavit that the guy stuffed a two-pound lead weight in it or something like that. It was later found out that he was lying, and was connected with a rival marina or some such on Dale Hollow that was losing business because more people were now going to the marina and area where the big smallmouth were caught.

How many times have you seen a picture of a big buck, and people start immediately saying it was killed at night, over bait, on posted land, or some such? I'll give the old feller the benefit of the doubt.

GreenPig

I never hear of giant river bass. Pond, lake, reservoir, and swamp but never from the river. I've fished the Oconee, Ocmulgee, and Flint and my biggest river bass is a 4.8 lb Shoal.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I have my doubts.
Every time somebody posts a fish, deer, hog, or bear on here, everybody claims it doesn't weigh what they said it did. If it was Jesus in the pic, they would still say it. You can't weigh a fish in a picture.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I never hear of giant river bass. Pond, lake, reservoir, and swamp but never from the river. I've fished the Oconee, Ocmulgee, and Flint and my biggest river bass is a 4.8 lb Shoal.
That wasn't a river. It's an oxbow lake.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That wasn't a river. It's an oxbow lake.

It wasn`t even that. It is simply a slough off the river. Everyone needs to remember that the same words have different meanings to different areas down in this part of the country. @Dirtroad Johnson knows what I`m saying, and understands.

I`m not saying the fish wasn`t a largemouth. It might have been and probably was. But the common name for a largemouth bass in this part of the county back then was "trout". Nobody around here knew what a striped bass was either. It was a rockfish. It can be confusing to folks that ain`t from around here.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It wasn`t even that. It is simply a slough off the river. Everyone needs to remember that the same words have different meanings to different areas down in this part of the country. @Dirtroad Johnson knows what I`m saying, and understands.
I'll definitely take your word for it, because I haven't laid eyes on it. You have. I've just read all my life it being described as an oxbow lake, and that it is a whole lot smaller now than it used to be.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much every river in south GA has double-digit river record largemouth.

Bananaslug22

It’s definitely an interesting discussion and unfortunately one that can’t be proven as true or false either way. the mystery is catupulted even further by Mr Perry’s untimely death right as the Bass Boom of the 70’s began to take off and the inability to track down Mr Jack Page or any of his family. Page was the man that was with Perry when he caught the fish. Apparently Page and his family seems to disappear from the world after the catch. No one knows much about him or what happened to him.

Those two circumstances only add to the story!

lampern

Bigger fish from Japan and California have been caught since.

The Japanese fish was verified for weight.

Bananaslug22

The fish named “Dottie” from California is an interesting story. Think I watched a documentary that featured a good bit of time on her. She was caught and weighed 25lbs but the men who caught her had foul-hooked her and after discussing it they released her back into the water since being foul hooked would not count in the records. I guess they were afraid of the potential lie detector test or were just honestly attempting to hold up to the rules of a properly caught fish.
I think some dude spent the next two years of his life attempting to catch her. She eventually was found belly up sometime later from natural causes and while still a heavy fish, she had lost weight. They actually show her being found in that documentary with live video.
She was named “Dottie” due to a marking on her side or one of her fins. Easily distinguishable.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Your fishing the wrong river!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It’s definitely an interesting discussion and unfortunately one that can’t be proven as true or false either way. the mystery is catupulted even further by Mr Perry’s untimely death right as the Bass Boom of the 70’s began to take off and the inability to track down Mr Jack Page or any of his family. Page was the man that was with Perry when he caught the fish. Apparently Page and his family seems to disappear from the world after the catch. No one knows much about him or what happened to him.

Those two circumstances only add to the story!
Yeah, it's impossible to know the truth. It may have happened just like they said, or Perry may have been a con man. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt unless something comes up that pretty much proved him wrong. I kind of like the idea of an old poor unsophisticated farmer catching a world record bass out of a backwater slough in Georgia that has held up after decade after decade of folks with all the money and fancy equipment in the world trying to beat it. I think a lot of other folks don't care much for that idea, though. :)

Tmpr111

I’ve often wondered how accurate the tale is, but it’s official, so until something disproves it, it’ll stand in my book.

catchdogs

Feel sorry for person who ever breaks it. The fish are out there and i would not doubt the next fish comes from
Ga. It won’t be out of a high pressured lake more like a private pond or farm pond. There’s a huge gap between the number 2 and number one slot in ga. I’m not sure breaking the record would be worth all the attention it would draw.

Mark R

Lake Montgomery was an Oxbow Lake off the Ocmulgee River. You can still see it via satellite images but it’s mostly a mud pit now from what I’ve read. The Historical Marker sits on the main Highway around Lumber City(?) as close to the “Lake” as possible. Again, from what I understand.
Its hwy 117 . Its in the Horse Creek WMA . Like Nic said Its a rivers wamp slough . I have seen it dry completely up . I guess the place has changed a bit in 80+years

Last edited: