Wild elk roaming around, being seen in Georgia

Possum

Banned
Has there been any confirmed sightings in Ga? Reported sightings don’t mean much. There are reported sightings of everything from Bigfoot to panthers in north GA

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Has there been any confirmed sightings in Ga? Reported sightings don’t mean much. There are reported sightings of everything from Bigfoot to panthers in north GA
Yes, there were some that came just across the GA line from Clay CO, NC a year or so ago.

Possum

Banned
I’m not doubting you NCHillbilly but when I search online I can’t find anything about elk seen in GA.
Where did you hear they came into GA? Are they still here?

Possum

Banned
I see plenty of mention of the elk making it into SC but other than speculation that the elk could roam into GA, I don’t think anyone has confirmed that they have been in GA yet. If someone could provide a link I’d be interested to know. I’m not far from north and South Carolina so I think it would be cool to see an elk in the woods. And I’m sure it’s possible. There are armadillos everywhere around here now and there were none 5 years ago.

Reactions: ejm

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The elk came through Clayton county from North Carolina and then moved on to South Carolina where it was captured and put in a zoo.

95g atl

Unfortunately I don't see in most of our lifetimes enough elk in GA to allow hunting them. Would be awesome though.

Nearest to GA is KY, which is a drawing lottery thing and you have nearly about the same odds as winning the lottery as you do getting picked.

Updated: NC Hillbilly says TN has a season. Wow.....how come I never knew that. :)

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I don't see in most of our lifetimes enough elk in GA to allow hunting them. Would be awesome though.

Nearest to GA is KY, which is a drawing lottery thing and you have nearly about the same odds as winning the lottery as you do getting picked.
Tennessee has also had a season for several years. They're talking about it in NC now.

95g atl

well heck, I stand corrected. Did not know that. I'll have to correct my above post. Thx.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The elk came through Clayton county from North Carolina and then moved on to South Carolina where it was captured and put in a zoo.

I think you mean Rabun County, Clayton , GA. There was a young bull that took up residence in the Eagle Fork/Muskrat Creek area of Clay county for a few weeks on summer a couple years ago. From where we watched it feed in NC was probably less than a mile to the GA state line.

lampern

Updated: NC Hillbilly says TN has a season. Wow.....how come I never knew that. :)

Elk are not protected in GA. You can kill them

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I think you mean Rabun County, Clayton , GA. There was a young bull that took up residence in the Eagle Fork/Muskrat Creek area of Clay county for a few weeks on summer a couple years ago. From where we watched it feed in NC was probably less than a mile to the GA state line.
Yep, you're correct. Must have been in a hurry.