Will Bama Make Georgia their recruiting hotbed?

fairhopebama

Recruits from Georgia a wealth of talent

Published: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, March 1, 2010 at 11:19 p.m.
( page of 4 )

The University of Alabama football coaching staff is raiding the state of Georgia for top recruits for the class of 2011. The Peach State is known for producing elite talent, with this year's class no exception.

Alabama has offered scholarships to at least 15 players from Georgia, with several having visited Tuscaloosa in the last few months. The Crimosn Tide is in the lead for a signature or listed as a favorite with many early in the recruiting process.

The coaching staff got the ball rolling with the commitment of Shannon Brown, a middle linebacker from Cook County High School in Adel, Ga.

“I think their academics was the biggest factor in my decision,” said Brown. “I like how they want you to leave with a diploma, provide tutoring, and stay on you to do well in the classroom.”

A pair of teammates favoring Alabama include Isaiah Crowell, Scout.com five-star running back, and Gabe Wright, Scout.com National 100 defensive tackle from Carver High School in Columbus, Ga. Crowell has recently named Alabama his leader over childhood favorite Georgia. He does not plan to make a decision anytime soon.

“I like Alabama because I'm real comfortable with the coaches there, and I like the players too,” Crowell told Scout.com. “I've got a good relationship with them. I love how they run the ball. They really showcase the back. I also like Coach Nick Saban and his whole staff.”

Gabe Wright is possibly on the verge of making a commitment, with the Tide as the solid leader.

“Alabama is on top,” said Wright. “I love the tradition. I went there last year for the Arkansas game. I heard ‘Bear' Bryant talk on the highlights and I fell in love. I wanted to put on a jersey and go play right there. It would be great to hear it every week.”

James Vaughters, from Tucker High School and ranked the No. 2 middle linebacker by Scout.com, has visited Tuscaloosa. He has more than 30 scholarship offers and recently trimmed his list to Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Ohio State, Southern Cal, Texas and Stanford.

“They have a great staff, great facilities, and Coach Saban will have them competing for championships every year,” Vaughters told Scout.com. “Based on what I saw, they will continue to get better and continue to put their best players in he NFL.”

Xzavier Dickson, Scout.com three-star defensive end from Griffin High School, holds scholarship offers from several schools including Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.

“I talked to Coach (Kirby) Smart, and he really knows what he is talking about,” said Dickson. “He is a cool coach and he is the one recruiting me for Alabama. He runs the 3-4 defense, and I think I could really fit into that.”

Damian Swann, Scout.com four-star safety from Grady High School in Atlanta, Ga., has scholarship offers from across the country including Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee, Southern Cal and West Virginia. He grew up a fan of the in-state Bulldogs, but they will battle Alabama for his signature.

“I went over to see Alabama play Arkansas and I loved it over there,” said Swann. “I met the coaches, I talked to some of the staff, they showed me around the campus and I liked everything. The fans were great. I loved the atmosphere.”

Alabama has offered a pair of teammates at Valdosta High School: Jay Rome, Scout.com No. 1-ranked tight end, and three-star safety Malcolm Mitchell. Alabama was the first school to extend an offer to Mitchell, who now also holds offers from Auburn, Florida and Georgia.

“It feels good having my first offer and being that Alabama was first to find me really stands out to me,” said Mitchell. “I have not been there before, but I know they are a good team, and they just won a national championship. They are high on my list now.”

Watts Dantzler, Scout.com three-star offensive tackle from Dalton High School, named his top five schools as Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

“Alabama is a great school,” said Dantzler. “They are coming off a national championship. Coach Saban has a great track record. They have a very loud stadium and great fan support.”

Alabama has also extended scholarship offers to Ray Drew, Scout.com four-star defensive end from Thomas County Central High School in Thomasville; C.J. Uzomah, four-star quarterback from North Gwinnett High School in Suwanee; A.J. Johnson, three-star outside linebacker from Gainesville High School; Sterling Bailey, three-star defensive end from East Hall High School in Gainesville; Quan Bray, three-star running back from Calloway High School in Hogansville; and Christian Conley, three-star wide receiver from North Paulding High School in Dallas, Ga.

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
There was a time when the Poochies got most of the in state guys. makes you want to shed a tear. :cry::rofl:

Ole Fuzzy

Banned
Unfortunately, there has been a lot of population growth in GA, particularly metro and N. GA., over the last 20-25 years. We have loads of yankees and other undesirables moving here. They are not real Georgians and do not have real ties to the state or any of the schools here. They do not like grits, have never been to Columbus or Macon, and they speak with funny accents. If their parents went to college, they attended some pathetic yankee excuse for a college experience like Ohio State, Penn State, or SUNY-Cesspool. A lot of those transplants will be up for grabs by schools all over the country. If we are lucky, the rest of their families will leave too. :bounce:

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Unfortunately, there has been a lot of population growth in GA, particularly metro and N. GA., over the last 20-25 years. We have loads of yankees and other undesirables moving here. They are not real Georgians and do not have real ties to the state or any of the schools here. They do not like grits, have never been to Columbus or Macon, and they speak with funny accents. If their parents went to college, they attended some pathetic yankee excuse for a college experience like Ohio State, Penn State, or SUNY-Cesspool. A lot of those transplants will be up for grabs by schools all over the country. If we are lucky, the rest of their families will leave too. :bounce:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
The truth is, UGA has had back to back dsissapointing seasons and our recruiting is down a bit as a result. One good season remedies that.

As for Auburn, they certainly had a good recruiting year but if yall want to keep recruiting that way, you're gonna have to do better than this past season. Same thing with us, if we wanna recruit the way we have in years past, we've gotta play better.

As long as Alabama puts a good team on the field they will recruit well. That's not rocket science. But why Paul Johnson and Mark Richt aren't raising you know what about Napolean playing in the dome every year is beyond me.

MudDucker

Staff member
They have to, because the kids from Alabama can't pass kindergarten much less college.

Unicoidawg

Staff member

Florida has had a whole lot more "yankees and other undesirables" in the invasion than Georgia and they seem to be able to keep the talent home.
See; Florida Gators.........:huh:

I'm thinkin it's more attributable to winning traditions, great schools, better looking wimmins, and great coach's than anything else.
See; Florida Gators.....:yeah:

Well if it's that great down there what are you doing here???????:crazy:

fairhopebama

They have to, because the kids from Alabama can't pass kindergarten much less college.

And if they go to UGA it seems they can't PASS a football nor can they catch one. If they want to see a full trophy case they are going to have to PASS through T-town.

greene_dawg

The state of GA produced more SEC signees than any other state last year. UGA can't sign them all. Just like Florida, some are bound to leave. The state of Alabama just doesn't have the same amount of SEC caliber players playing HS football so naturally there are only going to be a couple leave the state. Places like Valdosta are much closer to FSU than UGA just like Columbus is to AU. That said, UGA does need to do a better job reeling them in from within the states borders.

brownceluse

Like Green said you cant sign them all. This year Ga. is loaded with recruits. Like brad said as well UGA has to start wining. That changes alot of things. You win you recruit well!

bullgator

The state of GA produced more SEC signees than any other state last year. UGA can't sign them all. Just like Florida, some are bound to leave. The state of Alabama just doesn't have the same amount of SEC caliber players playing HS football so naturally there are only going to be a couple leave the state. Places like Valdosta are much closer to FSU than UGA just like Columbus is to AU. That said, UGA does need to do a better job reeling them in from within the states borders.

That's really no excuse considering UGA has probably less in state competition for recruiting than any state they border.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
You girls are so funny. Yall talk constantly about how bad of a program we are and how great yall are by comparison. Whatever, we don't care. What's so funny is reading these posts made by the same people that love to talk about how arrogant we UGA fans supposedly are. LOL. I've come to believe that this board is crawling with some of the biggest hypocrites that God ever breathed life into. I mean it's funny, but yall seem to do it without any sense of irony.

Anyway, yall go ahead and sound the funeral dirge and you lizzards and elephants smother each other with kisses for all I care. It will be that much funnier later on down the road.

And I'd like to reiterate what Unicoi said, if it's so great over in lizzard and bammer land, seems like yall would stay there or at the very least stay on bammer and lizzard boards. That's the other funny part, yall whine incessantly about the behavior of the UGA fans both on this board and in this state. Yet a bunch of you live here and frequent a a Georgia Outdoor News forum. LOL. It would be like us moving to Florida or Alabama and complaining about the behavior of Gator or Tide fans. You would tell us to shut up and rightfully so. If I was a smart little lizzard or elephant and I didn't like what UGA fans had to say, I wouldn't frequent boards sponsored by outdoor publications that said school was in. It's really that simple, nobody makes you come here.

brownceluse

You girls are so funny. Yall talk constantly about how bad of a program we are and how great yall are by comparison. Whatever, we don't care. What's so funny is reading these posts made by the same people that love to talk about how arrogant we UGA fans supposedly are. LOL. I've come to believe that this board is crawling with some of the biggest hypocrites that God ever breathed life into. I mean it's funny, but yall seem to do it without any sense of irony.

Anyway, yall go ahead and sound the funeral dirge and you lizzards and elephants smother each other with kisses for all I care. It will be that much funnier later on down the road.

And I'd like to reiterate what Unicoi said, if it's so great over in lizzard and bammer land, seems like yall would stay there or at the very least stay on bammer and lizzard boards. That's the other funny part, yall whine incessantly about the behavior of the UGA fans both on this board and in this state. Yet a bunch of you live here and frequent a a Georgia Outdoor News forum. LOL. It would be like us moving to Florida or Alabama and complaining about the behavior of Gator or Tide fans. You would tell us to shut up and rightfully so. If I was a smart little lizzard or elephant and I didn't like what UGA fans had to say, I wouldn't frequent boards sponsored by outdoor publications that said school was in. It's really that simple, nobody makes you come here.
:whip::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
You sure are sensitive Junior! Maybe you need to go over to the Campfire forum and get in the PMS discussion with the rest of the girls...............:fine:

No thank you maam. But I run on back over there and tell all your fellow hens that I do appreciate yall's invitation.:bounce:

bullgator

Well ParrrrDunnnnn us for trying to have a conversation on your forum ::ke: :bounce:. The off-season is slow and we're just grasping for straws to keep things lively. Now excuuuuuuuse me while I go hug an elephant on my way to looking up the meaning of "DIRGE"......:biggrin3:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Well ParrrrDunnnnn us for trying to have a conversation on your forum ::ke: :bounce:. The off-season is slow and we're just grasping for straws to keep things lively. Now excuuuuuuuse me while I go hug an elephant on my way to looking up the meaning of "DIRGE"......:biggrin3:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::cheers:

Latest posts