Woodcock in the swamp

ICU2012

Looking to see if anyone hunts woodcock in SE GA. I hunt snipe in the marshes around Darien and Brunswick, have heard there’s some woodcock to be found along the river more towards Jesup. But there’s A LOT of river between Darien and Jesup. I’ve never seen a woodcock let alone shot at one, any help is appreciated

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Woodcock can be in any thicket on any creek or river in middle or South Georgia as long as the soil is moist but not completely flooded. Where you find them today may not be where you find them tomorrow. We have way more habitat than woodcock so look forward to a lot of walking and birdless days.
Season starts tomorrow so good luck and keep us posted on your hunts.

jakebuddy

Spend a few evenings around some thickets or grown up clear cuts right about dark they will come to roost just like ducks you can come back the next morning before daylight you will hear them buzzing or twirling slip up on them more fun with a dog though.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Woodcock can be found in rivercane brakes, dog hobble, clusters of huckleberry bushes, young clusters of pines, cat brier thickets, sweet gum saplings, privet--practically anywhere damp and adjacent to swamp transitions to high ground as long as there are vertical stems to help conceal them and take them out of direct sunlight. They have loafing areas and feeding areas and the two don't necessarily coincide. They fly during the low light time of the day--dusk and dawn--but not during daylight unless disturbed. They will feed in open grounds, such as golf club fairways, lawns, road shoulders, etc., but only at night.

Last edited:

ICU2012

thanks for the tips, sounds like I have a lot of walking to do. With the river being up and all the rain recently, maybe they’ll be pushed a little further off the river like everything else is

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Don't want to discourage you, but without a dog--just about any dog--your odds of wearing out a pair of boots are better than finding a woodcock. Gil

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Hope y’all have a somewhat drier day on the coast than what we’ve had here in the piedmont. 1 1/2” rain so far. Did get my four month old puppy out yesterday.

BayDog96

UAEC
I too am new to chasing woodcock down around Brunswick/Darien. I've hunted them on some private land up north but the covers aren't even close to the same so I might as well have never chased them before. If you ever want to team up down here to try to find a few shoot me a PM. Ive got a boykin I upland hunt over.