Worms in deer meat?

Garcia Mitchler

"nobody likes me, everybody hates me, ... guess I'll go eat worms... big fat slimy ones, little bitty wiggly ones, ohhh how they wiggle and squirm..."

Sing it!

:stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir:

fish head

So, what you're saying is the ones that look like yellow "pods" that then look like little grains of rice are ok? As long as the meat is well cooked?

Bucknut

Salt, vinegar, water and ice it till the pesky thangs float.....Then slice your meat cuts and throw them on the grill...The floatin parasites will be gone when ya toss out the curing water...

Gross I know , but not worth tossin a backstrap loaded with marinated flavor...

DeweyDuck

Deer Worms

OK, you guys have done it now! A whole new threat to the outdoors. Please do not tell your wife about this situation!!!

This whole idea surfaced for me yesterday when a guy told me he was going to "worm his deer". He said he does it twice a year and his deer kills are loaded with fat. He's been doing this for several years and swears by it. Any boby ever heard of treating deer for worms?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Not ascarids....those would be found in the gut. The worms in question here are nematodes commonly called "muscle worms" (Parelaphostrongylus spp.) they are usually found in the loin meat near the spine. They do not affect humans.

You dang right they won't affect humans cause if I SAW that in my meat it would be in the catfish lake not on my table!

T

R

redneckcamo

what a sick thread ...... eeewwww even thread looks like worms ..!!

but on an expanded note ..... a dude shot a big doe on a lease I was on 2 yrs ago and its lungs were slap full of them wolve bot worm things ...... I means wadds of them crawling in the gut pile ......it was like a horror film !!

dadsbuckshot

Dude,

Livestock is nasty too - A.K.A COWS....

You ought to see some of the things I see at work. I have done some operations with the Georgia Agriculture Inspectors and beef and especially Pork products are nasty!!! Eat what is good on the animal and use the rest for other good causes such as in the garden or give to someone who is needy that will eat it.

These things don't affect the whole deer - just certain parts...

But man I have seen some nasty beef and pork in my line of work - and don't even get me started on Chicken these days and how its processed....

yelper43

The sixpointer i shot this year had some worms in it i noticed them after i had filled dressed it and loaded it in my truck. Their were a few about 4 to 6 inches long laying on my bedliner.
It still tastes good but i didnt actually see any worms in the meat itself.
Yelper43

\\

olchevy

I thought that was just the "marble" in the meat while it was still alive....lol

JBowers

This whole idea surfaced for me yesterday when a guy told me he was going to "worm his deer". He said he does it twice a year and his deer kills are loaded with fat. He's been doing this for several years and swears by it. Any boby ever heard of treating deer for worms?

To my knowledge, there is no product approved for use in white-tailed deer. How does your friend accomplish this treatment?

Gunluvr

I shot one yesterday that had long white worms in it's intestines. It was the 1st time I've ever seen this. The deer was young and healthy looking with no outward looking afflictions or movements. The worms seemed to be only in the intestinal area.

shakey gizzard

The average person consumes approximately 100 lbs of insects/worms/parasites in their lifetime.:eek::smash:

tv_racin_fan

weenie:bounce:

After you cook the meat they die. Fish have worms, I guarantee everyone on here has eaten worms in flesh at some point.

Either that or they do not eat meat. AND well you don't really want me to talk about bugs...

tfos

Hmmmmm... My brother in law had one with worms in it aslo. The processor found them and tossed all the meat. He had no explanation and had never seen it before.

Redleaf

Worm pills are cheep. Just grill up dem wormy ducks, deers and fish and swaller a couple of gelcaps along wid your cold malt bevrage. ;) Everybody who's ever eaten game or fish has eaten worms. They're protein too. :)

Gunluvr

Hmmmmm... My brother in law had one with worms in it aslo. The processor found them and tossed all the meat. He had no explanation and had never seen it before.

So the worms were in the meat and not just in the intestines? That does sound seriously contaminated.