Y'all remember the ice storm of '72?

Hornet22

ROMEO
Remember it well. Pop and mama had moved back home from S.C. in '72. We wore out some potty lids going down the driveway, across the street, and into the lot across the street that had a half basement dug out. General Hospital in Athens sent ambulances out to get the nurses and mama was gone for several days. That was some sho nuff fun for a kid that was fixn' to turn 13. Having been in the utility industry since '82, I despise snow and ice. This one don't look good. Ya'll hang on:cheers:

Crackerz

I remember one back around '71, because I was 16, in high schoool and had a 2-door hardtop Black '65 Comet Caliente. I remember I was driving it when the sleet started that night. It's wierd what tidbits you remember. Whenever I hear Santana's "Black Magic Woman" it reminds me of riding around in the storm that night listening to their "Abraxas" album on my Mini 8-track. It piled up during the night and looked like snow next day. I remember another one back then, too, though, because I remember breaking out the trusty Honda XL250 dirt bike and finding out it's dang hard to motor on ice. I didn't have it until I was 18. The one I hated the most was in the eighties. It snowed/sleeted about six" and stayed, and the slush kept refreezing everynight for 4 or 5 days.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was in Nashville Tn. for that one!!.......I remember 6" of solid ice on the road in front of our house at the time!!:bounce:

Crackerz

Just a bunch of youngun's. My son was born in 1976.

mauser64

I was 8. I remember it being cold and dark for a week and the sound of pine trees snapping in half in the dark.

Sterlo58

I remember it well. Laughing at the folks tryin to drive up the hill in front of our house, hearing trees snappin, sleepin in front of the fireplace, it was a great adventure for me as a young boy but not so fun for my parents.

Sirduke

Wasn't but 10, but don't remember it, but I do remember the one in 93 or 94. We applauded when Ga Power gave us electricty again after 4 days.

00Beau

I was 6, but I remember, my dad and grandad were gone for a week, both were lineman!!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I was 21, so no, I don't remember it. :bounce:

snookdoctor

I have pics of it, but I can't figure out how to download a polaroid:bounce:

We made it to a Red Roof Inn after about 3 or 4 days. The electricity was nice, but the thing that stuck in my mind was the red carpet that went all the way to the ceiling.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I remember all too well Monday morning Jan 9, 1973. It was my first day on my new job. There had been a severe ice and snow storm in Augusta and northward that had started the afternoon before and it got worse. When I arrived at my new job, my boss asked me if I would ride with him up to Royston, Georgia to rescue his Mother who was stranded in a motel there. She lived in Tallulah Falls, Georgia and she had tried to drive back home from Augusta on Sunday. When we got to her motel, we put snow chains on her car and I proceeded to drive it back to her house while following my boss and his mother in his Jeep Wagoneer. I lost one of the snow chains and I learned real quick what is meant by "a one legged duck swimming in a circle" meant. I had my hands full for the rest of that drive. I also realized that the folks in the northern counties of Georgia saved a lot of money by NOT installing guard rails along some very steep slopes along the way. I was so scared of sliding off the road that my hemorrhoids were still puckered in my armpits for a week later. We finally got her back home safely but then we had to drive back to Augusta. This original rescue drive started early in the morning and we didn't get back to Augusta until after 11 PM that night. I always told my boss that he owed me overtime for this endeavor but he never paid me extra. He just said that I was a very dedicated employee. :rofl:

Just a month later, there was the real "BIG SNOWSTORM" in Augusta in February 1973. It snowed 13 inches here in Augusta and shutdown everything for a few days. I remember walking with my roommates to the ONLY store that was open and the shelves were almost completely cleaned out. Vienna sausages, pork and beans, saltine crackers, peanut butter and a few candy bars never tasted so good. We thought that we struck "gold" by being able to get some of these goodies to eat. I was 22 at the time and man was those some "good ole days". My roommates and I lived liked kings but we just didn't realize it. We played golf every weekend, partied :yeah: with the three girls :love: that lived next door, went and did whatever we wanted at any time of the day or night, and didn't have to answer to anybody. The truth is........I have been living on borrowed time for many years now !!!!!