YES,ATV&UTV allowed on county roads... 1DEC23

Todd E

Last sentence says four wheelers excluded from registration, so doesn't that mean they still will not be allowed on county roads....

transfixer

Last sentence says four wheelers excluded from registration, so doesn't that mean they still will not be allowed on county roads....

Yes, and the wording about "non-straddle" seats excludes them also , so basically they're only allowing UTV's , unless there is a vehicle out there called an ATV that uses a steering wheel and a regular seat ?

of course that doesn't seem to stop certain people from riding those things on city streets right now ,, lol,, and I live on a paved road and constantly see people on 4-wheelers running up and down my road , :rolleyes:

Todd E

@transfixer
I knew as I was reading it that it excluded an ATV based on gvwr and payload.
It's a law to benefit farmers who run around on utvs to do farm work. I like that. The benefit is that a hunter can register theirs and be legal to run road.

From what I read and if I read correctly. It’s county roads only with speed limits below 35mph

GeorgiaGlockMan

Yes, and the wording about "non-straddle" seats excludes them also , so basically they're only allowing UTV's , unless there is a vehicle out there called an ATV that uses a steering wheel and a regular seat ?

of course that doesn't seem to stop certain people from riding those things on city streets right now ,, lol,, and I live on a paved road and constantly see people on 4-wheelers running up and down my road , :rolleyes:
I was in downtown Miami and about 1,000 atvs just took over control of all of the streets running lights and doing wheelies.

Eta - cops everywhere; just pulled over to watch.

transfixer

@transfixer
I knew as I was reading it that it excluded an ATV based on gvwr and payload.
It's a law to benefit farmers who run around on utvs to do farm work. I like that. The benefit is that a hunter can register theirs and be legal to run road.

Back when I used to hunt wma's , I wished they allowed 4 wheelers to use the roads within the wma's , it would have made getting around easier, and we could have left our trucks and camp setup , and rode them from where we camped to where we hunt and left them on the side of the road, many of the wma's have narrow roads where you didn't want to leave your truck parked on the side of the road.

Dusty Roads

I got a mixed responce fron Chattahoochee office:said "we respect/abide Ga laws" than said "NO utv or atv's allowed on dirt roads within the National Forrest",how the heck are we suppose to understand that?
I called the state rep(Fannin) 2 weeks ago left message-NO-RESPONCE.
aaAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH !

transfixer

I got a mixed responce fron Chattahoochee office:said "we respect/abide Ga laws" than said "NO utv or atv's allowed on dirt roads within the National Forrest",how the heck are we suppose to understand that?
I called the state rep(Fannin) 2 weeks ago left message-NO-RESPONCE.
aaAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH !

Yeah, I expected that wouldn't change, national forest is federal, they have their own rules, and don't care about state rules,

Dusty Roads

I've heard in other states they do follow state law....what a scam.
That Gainesville supt needs a transfer.
Wonder if Cherokee allows them since I saw some in Waynesville(city) some months ago

transfixer

I've heard in other states they do follow state law....what a scam.
That Gainesville supt needs a transfer.
Wonder if Cherokee allows them since I saw some in Waynesville(city) some months ago

I believe there is a fear that allowing their use in national forests would lead to them being used off the roads into the forest, and damage would occur to the land and streams, and its probably not an unwarranted fear, many hunters would likely take them off the main roads and into the woods, I know hunting the mountains in the past it sure would have been nice to be able to take my atv down into a draw or up a steep ridge, but inevitably it would cause erosion , they do tend to tear up the ground

killerv

Doesn't mention anything about minimum requirements, tire ratings, turn signals, mirrors, even seat belts. I assume they will assess the total value and get you the first time like they do on other registered motor vehicles? Or does the tax I paid when I bought my sxs 5 years ago cover the tag.

Eudora

Doesn't mention anything about minimum requirements, tire ratings, turn signals, mirrors, even seat belts. I assume they will assess the total value and get you the first time like they do on other registered motor vehicles? Or does the tax I paid when I bought my sxs 5 years ago cover the tag.
Oh yes, it has minimum requirements: "HB 121 requires that MPOHVs be equipped with headlights, brake lights, taillights, a rearview mirror, and safety belts. Please note that these vehicles are not subject to compliance with federal motor vehicle safety regulations for registration." and "Motor vehicles driven on the roads of this state must have minimum liability auto insurance coverage." Plus "MPOHVs must operate at speeds between 25 miles per hour and 65 miles per hour. MPOHVs cannot be wider than 80 inches. MPOHVs must have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,000 pounds and must have a minimum cargo capacity of 350 pounds. Only MPOHVs manufactured after January 1, 2000 may be registered." I think I read $100 ?

Dusty Roads

Oh yes, it has minimum requirements: "HB 121 requires that MPOHVs be equipped with headlights, brake lights, taillights, a rearview mirror, and safety belts. Please note that these vehicles are not subject to compliance with federal motor vehicle safety regulations for registration." and "Motor vehicles driven on the roads of this state must have minimum liability auto insurance coverage." Plus "MPOHVs must operate at speeds between 25 miles per hour and 65 miles per hour. MPOHVs cannot be wider than 80 inches. MPOHVs must have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,000 pounds and must have a minimum cargo capacity of 350 pounds. Only MPOHVs manufactured after January 1, 2000 may be registered." I think I read $100 ?
So weird to throw in"25-65mph"...Meaning top speed?

Dusty Roads

Has anyone got their tag since it was scheduled to start 1DEC?What pro's and cons did you run into...?
Thanks

Latest posts