Zone 2 gator

Stickemdeep

Finally punched a tag this weekend on one absolutely amazing animal. We danced a total of 16 hours over 2 nights before even getting close enough for a shot. Going into this I was determined to do it out of my boat unguided and harvest a double digit gator. Opening weekend got into one and broke him off after an hour. Fast forward 2 weeks and back south we go. First put eyes on him Saturday night at 930 and the game of chess began. We went back and forth never getting more than 40 yards from him at any point. 4am rolled around and I looked at Evan and said "buddy, he has us whooped we gotta regroup and get some sleep."
Sunday rolls around and the plan was to mess with him till midnight, if we dont have a line in him look for a new target gator as a 3rd trip was not an option. Same as the night before we got on him right at 930 and picked right back up where we left off at. 40 yards here then 80 yards there never staying up long enough for a shot with a bow. He was no rookie to the game, this gator knew every trick in the book and then some. Midnight rolls around and still no luck and we are making no progress, to add to the frustration he vanished for the better part of an hour. As we sit in frustration debating the next play phone calls were made and wise words were said "Never leave fish to find fish" and those words rang true. As we sit in silence those words ringing true Evan looks back and goes "I dont wanna be that guy, but hes looking right at us" almost mocking me, "ready to quit yet?" At that moment I knew we were going to be locked into battle for the long haul.
Back to the cat and mouse game we went for another 4 long and frustrating hours, back and forth with no ground being made. 4:00am rolls around and finally he comes up on the bank side and holds. Lord please, stay up long enough to get a shot off. Arrow flys. arrow miss. As I watch the gator slip off yet again defeat seemed imminent. I idled the boat back out to deep water shut down and anchored up. As we scan for eyes hoping for a miracle and wishing on every shooting star in the sky that a second chance would happen. Luck would have it he came up almost in the same spot that we just missed him at. I fired up the motor idled twards him 40 yards 30 yards 20 yards still holding. At 10 yards I cant contain myself and hollar at Evan "shoooooot shooooot shooooottttt that gator!!!!!!!" And shoot he did, a perfect shot in the left lung and off to the races we went. I got up on the deck with gator pulling the boat in tote readying my Oneida Osprey to put another line in the gator. As Evan eases him up I make my shot and get him right in the neck. Soon as that arrow hit we knew the game was nearing a close. One harpoon shot to make sure that he was secure was the final play, he was done. 3 shots from my Glock 23 and finally after 2 days and a culmination of 16 hrs we had him at the boat. Final measurement was 10'2 and 408 pounds
I cant say enough good things about all the people involved and equipment that was used making this thing happen. If you are looking for any info on the gear used, lodge we stayed at or Grant or Evans info to harvest your own monster gator reach out and ill get you hooked up! Thanks for reading and kind regards

Attachments

• gator 1.jpg
    gator 1.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 158
  • gator 3.jpeg
    gator 3.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

4point7

congrats man! thats a good one!!!! im in zone 6 heading down for my first go at it this thursday. did you ever try during the day? did you use a processor?

Stickemdeep

congrats man! thats a good one!!!! im in zone 6 heading down for my first go at it this thursday. did you ever try during the day? did you use a processor?
Yes but not to really hunt, more of a locating and scouting what lanes to run the boat safely in and the fastest way around the lake/stump fields so that at night running GPS I can track my lines

4point7

cool, thanks for the info. I was originally going to start hunting at 8am and go into the night but I think I may start later so I can stay stay out later. did you use a processor?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That was the most impressive and respect earning animal ive been apart of

There is something about looking into the eyes of one, knowing that it can and will kill you.

There is no mercy nor gratitude in a reptile.

Big7

The Oracle
Just had a 13 foot in each of the Santee- Cooper lakes on the same day.

Started to post but didn't know which forum.