Zone 6 Gator Success

Wjackson11x

We didn't have any success on our first hunt a couple of weeks ago, so we decided to make another trip down this weekend. We tried the St. Mary's and North River the first time. We never saw anything over 6'.

We decided we were going to try another area, so my wife found a house in Woodbine that we could stay at for the weekend. It was less than 30 seconds to the boat ramp on the Satilla River.

The first night we caught a 7.5 footer, but released him. Ended up finding a 9-10 footer that we spent hours trying to close enough to throw a hook. He was smart and wouldn't let us get within 80 yds. Finally at sunrise we decided to head back and get some sleep. As we cross the bridge we notice a 10 footer swimming in the middle of the river. We stop at the ramp and decide to put the put the boat back in the water and try to get him. After about 45 mins of playing cat and mouse, he dissapeared.:huh:

That evening we decided to go out just before dark and hunt for a couple hours. (we spent most of the time hunting between 2am to sunrise due to the tide). At around 9:00, we spotted a good one 30 yds behind the boat while we were checking out a smaller gator. Luckily I had the pole in my hand and cast right over his back. He immediately went to the bottom upon being hooked. I knew right away he was a good one.

After a loooong hour of fighting him, he finally got tired and came up to the boat. We stuck a harpoon in him for insurance and finally was able to get a 9mm round in his brain. We were exhausted, but the fight was over.

This is by far, one of the funnest things that I have ever done. We had a lot of good times over the many hours spent chasing these dinosaurs. My wife went on several of the trips, but due to having kids, she wasn't with us when we finally connected. I hate it she didn't get to see me kill this one, but at least she got to experience the other trips.

A big thanks to all that helped

Attachments

• gator.jpg
    gator.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 308
  • gator4.jpg
    gator4.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 300
  • gator2.jpg
    gator2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 292

letsemwalk

Awesome! Went to the satilla 2 years ago, but missed some. Seen alot of nice ones down there!

Wjackson11x

A few more pics

Attachments

• gator5.jpg
    gator5.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 270
  • gator7.jpg
    gator7.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 299
  • gator8.jpg
    gator8.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 275