Truck shopping?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I believe the reliability of all the manufacturers continues to improve for the most part and the choice comes down to personal preference in the end. That said, I have owned both Ford and Dodge trucks and preferred the Ford simply due to a poor experience with the Dodge that later would have been resolved by a Technical Service Bulletin issued by the manufacturer (I traded the truck before the TSB was issued). I did like the value of the Dodge I owned. I thought it was very well priced and equipped for the model and package I bought. Most of all, it needs to be what you want and will be happy with. Good luck on your search!

That is an excellent idea.

I'll do the same if I ever get ready to buy any new car or truck again.

I travel quite a bit and have a corporate acct @ Enterprise. I've rented a lot of different cars and trucks. I can gaurantee you that if you put 800-1000 miles on one, not just locally either, you will find out EVERYTHING you don't like about one.

M77 Ruger

Any thoughts on a Toyota Tundra or Tacoma. My add these to the list as week if they are a good vehicle

Big Foot

Any thoughts on a Toyota Tundra or Tacoma. My add these to the list as week if they are a good vehicle

Don't do it period

Just go get a F150 2011 and newer and. Thank us later

4x4 of course

whitetailfreak

My 2016 Tacoma 3.5l extended cab 4x4 has performed flawlessly and meets my needs as a daily driver and mountain hunting truck. I also came in under 30k.

T.P.

Banned
I got 4 Fords with a combined mileage of over 1.3M miles with only minor repairs over 15 years. I like em.

Jeffriesw

Well I am truck less. My dad wanted to buy my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 qc 4x4 and made me a offer I couldn't refuse. So now I am in the market for a new slightly used truck. Just wondering what you guys recommend and drive. I am more then likely wanting another Ram but wouldn't mind a f150 but not sure what motor to choose. I want something reliable that I don't have to work on all the time other then basic up keep maintenance. My Ram was problem free other then a starter and was probably the best vehicle I've ever owned so kinda leaning towards another Ram for that reason alone but I haven't looked at trucks in a long time or kept up with what's good and what's not. Let me know what you guys drive and recommend. I'm not a chevy guy and no offense to those that are but they are just not my favorite

I cannot speak for Chevrolet, I have never owned one.

I had a 2004 Dodge QC 4X4 with a 5.7 hemi for 7 years and 145,000 miles before I gave it to my son. He drove it for 3 more years and it had 185,000 when he traded it in. Neither one of us hardly any problem with it, it was great dependable truck.
Besides normal service, The only thing I can recall having worked was the A/C system.

I currently have a 2011 QC Ford F-250 Super Duty 4X4 with 93,000 miles on it. It has the 6.2 liter gas engine and 4.30 gears. Trust me, it has never met a gas station it did not like :bounce:, but so far, has been a very dependable truck.

Both trucks were daily drivers, used to pull heavy travel trailers and also going hunting. Both have seen a fair amount of action in the woods and a few mud holes when they were unavoidable, but I do NOT abuse my vehicles and I maintain them religiously.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I'm probably not ever buying new, but if I was, I think this is the best kept secret in truck value out there now.

Ram Tradesman.

It is Ram's dressed-up work truck, 2500, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4, Crew Cab, easily purchased for around $ 35K after discounts, etc. It really is nicely equipped, it has all you need for a truck, it's what you want that drives the price north of $ 50K
410HP/429TQ on the 6.4 Hemi.

Example:
http://www.jamesonealchryslerdodgej...-atlanta-a10ed0380a0e0a6b0cf40ddb42f84878.htm

Window sticker:
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C6UR5CJ8HG581271

I also agree with the 5.0 on the Ford. This is nothing like the 5.0/302 of old. 385HP @ 5,750 and 387TQ @ 3,850. This is the little engine that could, imagine having those numbers in any truck made 30-40 years ago...

Here's some 2016+ F-150 Supercrew 5.0 4x4s advertised in the mid-$30s
http://www.wadeford.net/new-inventory/index.htm?model=F-150&trim=XLT&=&=&engine=8&normalTransmission=&normalDriveLine=&cab=&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-engine-2

Nothing wrong with today's Ecoboost, I just don't think I could keep my foot out of it long enough to enjoy real world fuel efficiency for the extra purchase cost.

Well, you did say used...

Here's a good example of the 2014 Tradesman 4x4 in a 1500 QC, in Baxley, GA. Go with what you know?
http://www.woodyfolsomcdjr.com/vehicle-details/used-2014-ram-1500-1C6RR7FT3ES175997

Last edited:

M77 Ruger

Thanks guys for all the info. I am not buying new this is for sure. They have priced trucks way to high these days. I am just looking for a good used low mileage truck

Big Foot

Thanks guys for all the info. I am not buying new this is for sure. They have priced trucks way to high these days. I am just looking for a good used low mileage truck

ha! good luck with that....finding a used grocery getter is not so EZPZ

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation

You'll soon find out that you can buy a new truck for "slightly more" and I do mean "slightly" than a truck one or two years old

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yota 5.0L iforce V8 Tundra 4WD for the win. The only maintenance you have to do on them is GTO - Gas, Tires and Oil and they will flat pull the fire out of Hades in 2WD.

Head East

Bought a 2012 F150 last year. Like it pretty well. 1st time I purchased a used truck. The 50+k new cost didn't sit well with me. Had a 2008 f250, then a 2010 f150 previously. Have had a number of Ford trucks over the years. All have served me well. Only Ford I eve had that was a problem was the OJ Bronco I had. Gave it back after 2 months.

T-N-T

I got a 2007 dodge 2500 with a cummins a little over a year ago.
It has some years on it, but it only had 81,000 miles
4x4 with all the options. Never even had a hitch in the bed. (was used to haul a bass boat)
I bought it for about 26,000

Way less than a new truck, and will last 10 more years easy enough

And will pull anything I need it to

Cmp1

BANNED
I got a 2007 dodge 2500 with a cummins a little over a year ago.
It has some years on it, but it only had 81,000 miles
4x4 with all the options. Never even had a hitch in the bed. (was used to haul a bass boat)
I bought it for about 26,000

Way less than a new truck, and will last 10 more years easy enough

And will pull anything I need it to

Yep,,,, those cummins are really good,,,, last forever,,,,

one hogman

Yep,,,, those cummins are really good,,,, last forever,,,,

Unless the injectors , injection pump ,or lift pump fail, and they costs thousands to fix at least the first two do, I worked on Diesels for 40 plus years, nothing has the torque like a diesel, but once the warranty is out you better have some $$ set aside for repairs!!