Truck decisions

jallison681

Hey folks,

Unfortunately I’m having to try to make a decision on what truck I am going to be getting a lot sooner than I was hoping. I was driving my wife’s 14’ Honda accord as a commuter to and from work, that was paid off, but due to a box truck hitting me on the peach pass in Stockbridge causing me to spin and get T-boned, I’m going to have to get another vehicle. KBB value looks to be about at least 8500, but I’m looking at F-150’s, chevys, and Tacomas. I’ll be in the range of 18-20. If it was your decision, which would you choose and why? Thanks y’all!

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I only own Toyota now. I currently have a tundra, Highlander, corolla and on my 3 Rd Camry. The last Camry was 19 yrs old and 439k miles. The truck is just as solid.
I really want a tacoma and a 4 runner

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey folks,

Unfortunately I’m having to try to make a decision on what truck I am going to be getting a lot sooner than I was hoping. I was driving my wife’s 14’ Honda accord as a commuter to and from work, that was paid off, but due to a box truck hitting me on the peach pass in Stockbridge causing me to spin and get T-boned, I’m going to have to get another vehicle. KBB value looks to be about at least 8500, but I’m looking at F-150’s, chevys, and Tacomas. I’ll be in the range of 18-20. If it was your decision, which would you choose and why? Thanks y’all!
I will own nothing but Nissan until I die unless they change something major. I've had them all over half a century. Get you a Frontier. Made in America, unlike the Ford. More power than the Tacoma at a cheaper price.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I will own nothing but Nissan until I die unless they change something major. I've had them all over half a century. Get you a Frontier. Made in America, unlike the Ford. More power than the Tacoma at a cheaper price.
I almost switched. I was convinced of getting a new titan years ago when they were top ranked in all categories, especially the fuel mileage. My brother in law beat me to it and hates it. Glad I was broke at the time.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Toyota is going hybrid in 2024 if that’s a factor with you. No 6s, turbo four cylinder hybrids standard. Great vehicles but lost me at hybrid.

I’m old school, if I can’t disable auto start without voiding a warranty that is a nonstarter for me. I hate autostart.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I almost switched. I was convinced of getting a new titan years ago when they were top ranked in all categories, especially the fuel mileage. My brother in law beat me to it and hates it. Glad I was broke at the time.
Never had a Titan, but I've owned three Frontiers. First one-300K, still original everything down to the starter and alternator when I traded it in. I have never owned any other brand of truck that was half as reliable. I'm sold. Nothing at all bad to say. I can't say that for Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota. Truck made in Alabama, engine in Tennessee.

hipster dufus

Fan of nissan, still driving a frontiers, 2094, 4 cyl.215k. Original clutch. Had a 15 frontier, totaled by bambi. Hav a 2020 tacoma v6. Its ok, but I liked the frontier more.

jallison681

Thank y’all for the input. It’s a tough decision for sure. I’m not gonna buy brand new ( can’t even imagine spending the amount of money on a brand new truck ‍♂️) but I just want to make sure my decision will be reliable and get done what I need it too.

basshappy

BANNED
@jallison681 if you narrow down a few makes/models then research common problems and expenses for those model years you can afford. Get an idea of things that should have been addressed on a used vehicle and costs you may pay for repairs and updates.

Pay for an independent mechanic you trust to go over the used vehicle(s) you are considering.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my 13 F150 with the 5.0 has been bullet proof for over 200K miles. I just got back from a trip to Pennsylvania with it. It performed just as it has since it was new, flawlessly. And I averaged > 22mpg on the trip, running 75 or so most of the time.

Geffellz18

Hey folks,

Of those 3-Tacoma hands down-most reliable truck on the market.
Don’t overlook a frontier or even a Titan though. The diesel titans-Although discontinued due to lack of popularity(guessing due to payload/towing rating limits) is near bulletproof too-Cummins diesel tied to a Toyota based transmission.

bany

Got my f150 new in 2002. its been a great truck. Pick is around thanksgiving on a long road trip.

Attachments

• IMG_4094.jpeg
    IMG_4094.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 35

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
my 13 F150 with the 5.0 has been bullet proof for over 200K miles. I just got back from a trip to Pennsylvania with it. It performed just as it has since it was new, flawlessly. And I averaged > 22mpg on the trip, running 75 or so most of the time.

Very similar history with my 2013 F150. 165k and going strong. Also over 20mpg on road trips.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Tacoma. My 2013 gets a little over 20 on the highway, pulls my 20 foot flats and bay boat with no trouble, and is as dependable as any truck I`ve ever owned.