Truck decisions

bullgator

If you’re replacing an Accord for a reliable commuter vehicle, Toyota is coming out with a compact pickup called the Stout. It will compete with the Ford Maverick. It’s not a big manly truck but should replace the Accord nicely and is available with 4 wheel drive. MSRP in the 20s.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If you’re replacing an Accord for a reliable commuter vehicle, Toyota is coming out with a compact pickup called the Stout. It will compete with the Ford Maverick. It’s not a big manly truck but should replace the Accord nicely and is available with 4 wheel drive. MSRP in the 20s.
I just checked that out . At that price the road will be full of them I bet

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
do they get the horrible gas mileage that I have heard, or is that the Titan?
It’s not the best for sure . Haven’t checked mine in the last few years but seems like it was around 18-20

VTRman

my 13 F150 with the 5.0 has been bullet proof for over 200K miles. I just got back from a trip to Pennsylvania with it. It performed just as it has since it was new, flawlessly. And I averaged > 22mpg on the trip, running 75 or so most of the time.
I have a 2011 with the 5.0. Almost 200,000 miles and it has been very reliable. I don't get 22 mpg, but most of my driving is around town.

VTRman

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have a 2017 Tacoma off road. Gas mileage 22 mpg on open road and 17-18 mpg around town. Drops down to 13 pulling boat.

Anvil Head

I will own nothing but Nissan until I die unless they change something major. I've had them all over half a century. Get you a Frontier. Made in America, unlike the Ford. More power than the Tacoma at a cheaper price.
Test drove several T's and N's, before I pulled the trigger on a '23 N. Better ride all the way around. I should have known, since I wore out my old 86 N Hardbody with over 300 on it. This will probably be my last ever truck at my age. Really enjoy driving and working it. Now if I can just get used to what all these buttons do......

Darien1

Toyota for me since 1986. First was an 86 Hi Lux that was perfect mechanically. Never put a wrench on it and I passed it on to my son when he was 16.. I'm driving another Camry and a 2008 Tundra. Both of them have never had a repair except the Tundra had the wiring harness repaired from a rodent chewing it. Not the truck's fault. Toyotas are the best on the road today.

transfixer

Get you a 2500 Sierra w 6.0L gas. I just replaced the original alternator after towing a 5,000 lb water pump to Houston and back. Picture was taken on I-10 in Beaumont ,TX . I average 13.5 on hwy and around 11 city. Mine's a 2012.

I'm currently driving a 01 Silverado HD with 6.0 gas, 4wd with the 4L80e transmission, miles are a little over 340k, still runs like a top! built the trans at 230k, and replaced oil pump pickup tube o-ring around 275, I may very well see how many miles I can make it last ? don't know that I can get that many though

I do get around 12.5 driving back and forth to work, and about 15 mpg on the highway

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have a 2011 with the 5.0. Almost 200,000 miles and it has been very reliable. I don't get 22 mpg, but most of my driving is around town.
around town, I am at 19mpg.

transfixer

I don’t believe the new 2024 and up Toyota motors are going to be as dependable as they once were. Do a little research….Toyota has changed up.

Some are , some apparently aren't , the transmissions do have some issues, the newer 6spds in some of the trucks won't go 200k without needing repair, and their front wheel drive units many times won't go to 150k now, they've simply got them changing gears too many times, trying to eek out as much fuel mileage as possible,

Not sure if they even still have manual transmissions available ? they've got an 8spd automatic in some of the cars, and I've heard rumors of 8spds or more coming for the rear wheel drive options at some point , those will not last like the units of old

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I'm currently driving a 01 Silverado HD with 6.0 gas, 4wd with the 4L80e transmission, miles are a little over 340k, still runs like a top! built the trans at 230k, and replaced oil pump pickup tube o-ring around 275, I may very well see how many miles I can make it last ? don't know that I can get that many though

I do get around 12.5 driving back and forth to work, and about 15 mpg on the highway
sounds a lot like my 2500 Ram with the 6.4 Hemi. Around here, I get right at 15, on the road around 17, pulling a camper right at 12.5. I pulled the camper over 9000 miles in 2020, so I have a right accurate figure on that one.

transfixer

sounds a lot like my 2500 Ram with the 6.4 Hemi. Around here, I get right at 15, on the road around 17, pulling a camper right at 12.5. I pulled the camper over 9000 miles in 2020, so I have a right accurate figure on that one.

I'd get better mileage if it had 3.73 gears, but for some reason GM decided all these 2500 6.0's with 4wd needed 4.10 gears

VTRman

sinclair1

I don’t believe the new 2024 and up Toyota motors are going to be as dependable as they once were. Do a little research….Toyota has changed up.
I bought a 23 Trd Pro Tacoma with the last 6 cylinder. It should last me until I can no longer drive, but if I needed to replace it next year, I would do the 24 Nissan ProX as they stayed 6 cylinder in 24.

I had the first model Nissan hardbody in 86. Great truck that was passed thru 3 generations of my family.

B. White

Get the best deal you can for a truck that will meet your minimum needs for "truck use", if you only use it for hunting, fishing and hauling some stuff occasionally. Use what you save and buy a small ugly car for commuting. Leave the truck parked. They are too expensive for commuting. I picked up a $1400 Saturn on GON around 2007 or earlier and used it for commuting. Hit a deer, had people hit me. Beat out the dents and kept going. Spent $900 on a clutch at some point and went without air for the last year. Bought a Focus in 2017 and have been driving it since. Truck stays parked until I need it.