Carrying a fixed blade knife in the woods?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I collect kitchen knives, small collection of Russell, Henckel, Sabatier, Wusthof, etc. I don't have any really expensive Japaneses, Global, or MAC's.

I would like to pick up a Mora Classic. The handle reminds me of a cheap putty knife handle but they are suppose to be a really good knife. I know they make a lot of kitchen and outdoor knives.
Here is the style I want. It's a Utility knife so I guess you could use it inside or out;

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Cla...46&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=mora+classic+knife

This one is a little more modern looking, stainless with a plastic handle;

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Cra...535757110&sr=1-11&keywords=mora+utility+knife

The one with the red wooden handle is the one I have. I peeled that handle off and made it a proper handle of antler.

BassRaider

Good thread, made me want to look at some of my knives. One is the Browning 305 3-blade that is selling on Ebay for $100+. May have to put it on the classifieds and see what I can get?

Lukikus2

I have one of these somewhere and it's driving me crazy not being able to find it. I bought it at a yard sale when I was about 10 for a few bucks.

Bought mine from Western Auto in North Carolina in '75 for $12. Re-stiched the sheath though. I've hammered that blade through pelvic bones with rocks and not a dent. And can be sharpened on a leather strap.

Artfuldodger

The model 66, in particular, the L66, was the most popular deer hunting knife in the Western line-up. The knife is characterized by a deep belly and an upswept tip that makes it a great skinner.

The Boulder models had a split tang so you can see the two strips of metal in the handle. I don't think I've ever seen a stacked leather handle like that.
They also had two pins in the pommel.

There are 49 on ebay. Search Western L66 knife. The very first one is a Boy Scout Boulder model with the split tang. The bad thing is the leather rings really pull away from those split tangs.

They all seem to be reasonable, even the Boulder ones.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve had a few stacked leather handles, still do.
I thought they were invincible for the longest time. The best grip there was. Then the leather wore off one sliver after another.
They are some dang good knives though and you can always add some antler when the leather gets too old and frail.

Artfuldodger

I’ve had a few stacked leather handles, still do.
I thought they were invincible for the longest time. The best grip there was. Then the leather wore off one sliver after another.
They are some dang good knives though and you can always add some antler when the leather gets too old and frail.

I had an old survival knife form the early 80's, Sears brand I think. It got wet and the stacked leather handle rotted away.
So I ran across WWII Theatre,not theater, knives.Theatre of War.
You might have heard of these. The soldiers and sailors would customize their knives by replacing the stacked leather handles with rings of plexiglas, aluminum, wood, red plastic, brass, etc.

I cuts some square rings(oximoron), stacked them, and shaped them into a nice looking handle.
I'll have to see if I can find it and post a pic. Weird how we loose pieces of our collections.

Here is a link and examples of Theatre knives:

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/37306-introduction-to-theatre-of-war-knives/

Attached is an example. Mine doesn't look this good.

Attachments

• Theatre knife.jpg
    Theatre knife.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 24